The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the_alybot
I applied for medicine last year and didn't get any offers, screwed up a couple of my exams which pulled the As I got in my resits to 3 Cs overall. I'm not going back to school to attend lessons, I'm just going to sit the exams in January as an external candidate. I've contacted some medical schools that have said they will consider my application as long as I'm PREDICTED 3As which I thought the school would have to do for me, therefore I applied through my school. I wouldn't mind starting from the beginning to get an unlinked account in order to apply independently so long as I could insert my own predicted grades. I'm fairly confident that I would be predicted an A in Biology and English Language but Chemistry I don't think they will predict me an A, probably a B and I can't risk it so if I can I want to insert my predicted grades myself. They wouldn't be unrealistic because the universities would be able to see that the grades I got in the individual exams which albeit a few were predominantly As. I thought I'd have to ring up UCAS to get my account changed from through school/college to independent.

So just to clarify, are you saying that if I apply independently that I can insert my own predicted grades myself?

Hey! I also applied for medicine 2011 entry, got two interviews but got post-interview rejected. Just wanted to ask, did you get 3C's now at A level? Which medical schools are you applying to? because only about four accept resit candidates without extenuating circumstances; Liverpool, UEA, Peninsula and Brighton and Sussex. Also, for unis like Peninsula you need AAB in the first sitting to resit and apply there. Is that the ones you've contacted?

Sorry to be nosy, but I'm just wondering as I was also a previous medicine applicant..:wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 581
I think I've asked this before, but I can't remember if I got an answer... If I'm applying through UCAS on my own, what am I supposed to do about predicted grades? I really don't understand how I do it all without my school:sad:
Y
I applied for medicine last year and didn't get any offers, screwed up a couple of my exams which pulled the As I got in my resits to 3 Cs overall. I'm not going back to school to attend lessons, I'm just going to sit the exams in January as an external candidate. I've contacted some medical schools that have said they will consider my application as long as I'm PREDICTED 3As which I thought the school would have to do for me, therefore I applied through my school. I wouldn't mind starting from the beginning to get an unlinked account in order to apply independently so long as I could insert my own predicted grades. I'm fairly confident that I would be predicted an A in Biology and English Language but Chemistry I don't think they will predict me an A, probably a B and I can't risk it so if I can I want to insert my predicted grades myself. They wouldn't be unrealistic because the universities would be able to see that the grades I got in the individual exams which albeit a few were predominantly As. I thought I'd have to ring up UCAS to get my account changed from through school/college to independent.

So just to clarify, are you saying that if I apply independently that I can insert my own predicted grades myself?

Yep. If you are applying independently, you can enter your own predictions. But do be pragmatic though. Don't set the bar too high because you'll only fall in summer and miss your offer... if you have achieved As in the past and believe you genuinely fluked the Cs -- then by all means, go ahead. Some people discuss it with their former teachers whilst others just go solo which is sometimes a lot easier in my experience.

And ouch @ messing up your UCAS application! I didn't even know it was possible to change it. That said, if they can't change it for you... you might have to solicit your school for help wrt predictions and references. :/

I need to start my UCAS myself soon tbh. Just gotta get student finance stress and some research out of the way first. I've accumulated loads of resources, advice inspiration in the mean time for my PS so I'm quite excited in that regard! :smile:
Reply 583
Original post by Jackthevillain
Dont see point of uni not gonna waste 3-4 years of my life doing a course which will not benefit me or has any influence on me becoming rich through business.

So are you on a gap year or not?
Original post by cwd12
So are you on a gap year or not?

Well im not gonna go uni in the future just giving my opinion to people in similar circumstances.
Original post by Strüberry
Y

Yep. If you are applying independently, you can enter your own predictions. But do be pragmatic though. Don't set the bar too high because you'll only fall in summer and miss your offer... if you have achieved As in the past and believe you genuinely fluked the Cs -- then by all means, go ahead. Some people discuss it with their former teachers whilst others just go solo which is sometimes a lot easier in my experience.

And ouch @ messing up your UCAS application! I didn't even know it was possible to change it. That said, if they can't change it for you... you might have to solicit your school for help wrt predictions and references. :/

I need to start my UCAS myself soon tbh. Just gotta get student finance stress and some research out of the way first. I've accumulated loads of resources, advice inspiration in the mean time for my PS so I'm quite excited in that regard! :smile:

Thanks, that was really helpful :smile:

Yeah, this past month has been purely dedicated to thorough research and meticulous preparation because the Medicine deadline is much closer than the general one. I forgot how much hassle the character limit for the Personal Statement it! Not to mention how much of a nightmare it is sorting things out with school! But you sound like you've got it pretty well planned , what are you applying for and where? And how come you decided to take a gap year and what are you planning to do for the year? :smile:
Reply 586
Original post by sugardust
Hi all,

Basically I've just achieved the best results I could have possibly hoped to get even throughout a year of the most significant mitigating circumstances ever.
However, BECAUSE of these mitigating circumstances, I've decided to take a gap year off.

The fee rise doesn't affect me as I'm an international student, however I WOULD like to know if I stand a chance to apply to the top unis ie Warwick, Imperial, UCL, KCL, etc etc?

I got A*A*A*A at A level - but how would I let the unis know that I'm NOT a candidate who is retaking? Will they note the date of my A level results?

And is it worth it? Do I stand a chance to get into these unis? I've currently got a place confirmed at Manchester, but I won't let go of the place if I find that it is not worth it in the end.. :s-smilie:

Thanks!

you got 4A*'s at a level?? that is AMAZING! you could apply to freaking oxbridge if you wanted to! i definitely think you could get a place at top unis! top unis dont even have entry requirements that high! thats amazing! well done! what course is it you've applied for?
Original post by Phenylethylamine_
Hey! I also applied for medicine 2011 entry, got two interviews but got post-interview rejected. Just wanted to ask, did you get 3C's now at A level? Which medical schools are you applying to? because only about four accept resit candidates without extenuating circumstances; Liverpool, UEA, Peninsula and Brighton and Sussex. Also, for unis like Peninsula you need AAB in the first sitting to resit and apply there. Is that the ones you've contacted?

Sorry to be nosy, but I'm just wondering as I was also a previous medicine applicant..:wink:

YO :smile: nahhhh not nosy at all. Sorry to hear about your rejections. Yeah, I got 3 Cs in August. I got As in all the ones I retook but my performance in the final Chemistry, Biology and English exams were abysmal. I don't know if you fo OCR for Bio and Chem but F215 and F325 were diabolical! I've emailed pretty much every medical school in the country and I'm just waiting on the final responses from some of them, Liverpool is definitely on my list though as in some sweet spell of good luck you have to have achieved 3 Cs at the first sitting in order to me considered as a resit applicant.

What about you? How did you do in summer? Are you reapplying for medicine, if so where and how is your prep coming along i.e. UKCAT, PS? :smile:
Yep. If you are applying independently, you can enter your own predictions.

How do you do insert them yourself?

I'm applying independantly but I've asked my college to do a reference for me (I can no longer click on the reference tab on the left hand side which is where you enter predicted grades (I think?)).
Original post by Liam_G
I think I've asked this before, but I can't remember if I got an answer... If I'm applying through UCAS on my own, what am I supposed to do about predicted grades? I really don't understand how I do it all without my school:sad:

If I've read things correctly, any exams where the grade is pending should appear under the reference section and you can put the predicted grades there.

I can't click on the references section and my college have said they won't give me new predicted grades so I'm pretty screwed.
Original post by Competencies
x

Did you switch to applying through a school or something? If they are doing your reference through the shool then I'm afraid they'll be doing your predictions too? I added mine in before the reference. But no, you don't put your predicted grades in your written reference, there's a drop down list to fill them in with.

When you enter in your 'pending' exams in the 'Education' section, click on the 'Reference' section and then you will see a section where you can fill them in for yourself. :smile:

If I can get the last stuff on my to-do list out of the way this weekend, I'll do a step by step print-screen of how to apply for UCAS 2012 on Monday. :yep:

Thanks, that was really helpful :smile:

Yeah, this past month has been purely dedicated to thorough research and meticulous preparation because the Medicine deadline is much closer than the general one. I forgot how much hassle the character limit for the Personal Statement it! Not to mention how much of a nightmare it is sorting things out with school! But you sound like you've got it pretty well planned , what are you applying for and where? And how come you decided to take a gap year and what are you planning to do for the year? :smile:

No problem :h:

Well, I did Law at QMUL for my first year, despised it to death so reapplied whilst I was still there for 2011. Got an offer from King's in Feb but I missed it by a few marks because my practical was downgraded. So now I am reapplying again to King's (for French btw!) with a better application and hoping for the best. It'd be just my luck to have gotten an offer with an outrageously crap application after applying a few hours before the deadline last year and then get rejected after I put so much thought into this year's! :lol:

My gap year...hmm the current plan is to study my head off + gym until I finish my resits or at the latest until I get an offer. Which may be never lol. Then I plan on travelling via road or train trip to Lucerne or Dusseldorf, possibly other places. Just basically go anywhere that isn't bloody London! Oh yeah I also plan on cooking and baking a lot to waste my time.

Did you apply for medicine before or did you change your mind?
Did you switch to applying through a school or something? If they are doing your reference through the shool then I'm afraid they'll be doing your predictions too?

Yeah, that's what I thought was the problem.

Who have you got to do your reference then?
Does anybody know which unis are taking resits for Law ??? From what i've seen so far Law and Medicine seem to be the degrees for which resits most count against you, anyone heard any different ?
Original post by Competencies
Yeah, that's what I thought was the problem.

Who have you got to do your reference then?

Oh, I asked my English tutor to do it for me since my course is very literature heavy and she loves me. :tongue:
Why are you resitting the year: Missed out on my offer to leciester and suffered from personal medical conditions which limited my performance
What course are you applying for psychology
What universities do you have in mind: WARWICK, nottingham , leciester, sussex, east anglia What else (other than study) do you plan to do on your year off: nothing else just study study study
Reply 595
Hi guys

Basically I've entered my grades on UCAS. Grades overall + Grades for individual modules, apart from one exam, I've put as pending.

When I go onto the reference section to put in my predicted grade for that subject, it says:

Predicted grades

The applicant has not entered any pending qualifications.

I was just wondering if anybody knew why it wouldn't let me put anything here even though I have clearly entered a module as pending which after taking this exam could clearly change my overall grade (hence the retake)

It's not a big deal if nobody knows, as I've mentioned this retake in my ps and most of the uni's I'm applying for won't need me to improve my grades anyway.

Thanks if somebody does know though :smile:
Reply 596
Back again with another question.

Is there a character limit with the reference? I've asked two teachers to write me a reference and then realised you can only have 1. I asked them both about merging them both into 1 so I could get the best of both worlds sorta thing. That was an idea I got from Strüberry (I think) hence quoting you. My teacher said It will be hard to do due to character limits and he was planning on using almost all of it.

Any one got any suggestions? :smile:
Reply 597
Original post by Phenylethylamine_
No problem! Lol @ Aston! I got an email back from Leicester, I emailed enquiring Medical Biochemistry which has the entry requirements of ABB. I got an email back and they said they may slightly increase the offer to AAB. I've only got a reply back from Newcastle for Chemistry and they do accept resits. I was so happy when I saw that for Imperial! So I emailed them yesterday for biomedical science. The course looks so good! and you get to medicine speciality in your third year. The requirements are AAA with a B in the fourth AS level. I said to them, that I'm aiming for A*A*B (B in biology), I'm not retaking my biology because the exam board is weird and I'll have to redo coursework which the college I'm an external candidate don't do. So, I'm hoping from BBB to A*A*B (A*s in Chemistry and Maths). But, I got an email back today and they said they highly recommend me retaking my Biology a level. But, I can't now. This is because you have to have an A grade in Biology. I was hoping they would accept A*AB or A*A*B in lieu of AAA.

Also, I've got an A in my fourth AS level. So that's fine. It's just stupid biology, so I don't think I can apply to Imperial now. :frown: I really wanted to go there.

Still need to email Queen Mary...

It quite bad that some places that we want to go to, we can't apply to. I have decided to go for Biochemistry and than Grad Med. I am really keen on Imperial (just like you), so I emailed them 2 weeks ago, yet no apply. So I am going to ring all the Uni's I have in mind. The thing is I am resitting Maths, Chem and Bio. I hoping to get A in Bio but I am really worried as the board exam it really stupid. I have took up another A-Level as well. I have a B in my Fourth AS Level, which is Physics, which I am not taking to A-Level.
Just started my personal statement and trying to apply as soon as!
I ruled out unis that want an A in Bio. Still have a lot of choses but Newcastle said they want an A in Bio so I can't apply there. Some with Aston. :mad:
Dont know what to do??
:angry:
Reply 598
YO :smile: nahhhh not nosy at all. Sorry to hear about your rejections. Yeah, I got 3 Cs in August. I got As in all the ones I retook but my performance in the final Chemistry, Biology and English exams were abysmal. I don't know if you fo OCR for Bio and Chem but F215 and F325 were diabolical! I've emailed pretty much every medical school in the country and I'm just waiting on the final responses from some of them, Liverpool is definitely on my list though as in some sweet spell of good luck you have to have achieved 3 Cs at the first sitting in order to me considered as a resit applicant.

What about you? How did you do in summer? Are you reapplying for medicine, if so where and how is your prep coming along i.e. UKCAT, PS? :smile:

Hey, I am the same here, except not applying for Medicine, going to apply for Biochem. I did apply last year for Med and had 2 interviews and rejection. And than I got BBC. I also did OCR for Bio and Chem. I got a U in the Bio F215 and a D in Chem F325. Those exams were really difficult. :mad: I had like 12 exams and I was ill doing revision and exam period. So I am resitting some units in Bio, Chem and Maths and have taken up another A-Level. I am back to my old sixth form and applying through through. :biggrin:
Anyways any luck since than? :smile:
hi guys a quick question

im doing aqa chemistry again at a college can i keep my old isa scores?

Latest