The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by Mango D
UCL is super competitive!! My friend got 3A*s & an A and she didn't even make the cut. I'm baffled as to what they look for in their students....:s-smilie:. I'm thinking Leicester, Lancaster, Nottingham, Queen Marys & Huddersfield (just because my friend goes there lol. How pathetic am I :biggrin:). What unis are u thinking and what course are you going to do? xx

Ouch, yeh: they put a lot by the PS and interview.....

Nice :smile:. I applied to Leicester, Lancaster and Queen Mary last year: they're all really nice, especially Leicester. I'm doing the opposite: applying to places where I don't know anyone :smile:: Oxford, UCL, Warwick, St Andrew's and York for English :smile:.

Preparing for the ELAT has already begun to take over my life.....I get distracted by TSR though.... :s-smilie: xx
Reply 781
Original post by HBKE1992
I know :/ worst things was - Leeds (my insurance) said they would have accepted me if I had put them as their firm! aldfhshfuashdfiu!!!! :angry: The summer exams this year were seriously hard! :angry: did you do OCR chem? ohmygad :| that exam was the one that failed me. If you put what you got last year in the modules section - they will see that you got A's previously :smile: that's what I plan to do anyway!

I've been quite lucky with my gap year plans, I have a job (which i've had for the past year and a half), I also managed to get a volunteer placement at the Science Museum in London and I'm volunteering in Tanzania for 3 months in the summer :smile: I understand why your parents are so protective though - the world is a scary place these days! I'm going with Camps International though, and they seem like a really good, safety-conscious company :smile: I'm also doing a load of re-sits, and visiting friends across the country at their uni's :smile:

Aww thats really sad but I guess everything happens for a reason :smile:. Yh I did OCR chemistry (not the salters one tho) but I really struggled with chemistry since unit 2, if I wasn't obsessed with getting into medicine then I would have dropped it after AS. What other subjects are you doing? I'm hoping like crazy that I can do well in it this time around :s-smilie: cos I feel like I know the info but I just can't put it down on paper *sniff sniff*+ my chemistry teacher was always on my case & i really wanted to prove her wrong. I couldn't, unfortunately :rant:. Hopefully my biology and maths will save me on ucas! Wow, your year sound really exciting. I promised my little brother that I'll take him on holiday once he finishes his GCSEs so I'm looking forward to that and I'm going to find some other things to do. I joined the gym so I'm going to try and improve my stamina and run a marathon :colondollar:. I'm all talk tho so I 'll see if actually go through with it :biggrin: hehe. How many resits are you doing?
Reply 782
Original post by Seasider5
Ouch, yeh: they put a lot by the PS and interview.....

Nice :smile:. I applied to Leicester, Lancaster and Queen Mary last year: they're all really nice, especially Leicester. I'm doing the opposite: applying to places where I don't know anyone :smile:: Oxford, UCL, Warwick, St Andrew's and York for English :smile:.

Preparing for the ELAT has already begun to take over my life.....I get distracted by TSR though.... :s-smilie: xx

Is ELAT just for Oxford?
You're applying to AMAZING universities !! :biggrin:
I literally chose my universities at the last minute last year, I just wanted to go to UEA but I'm to embarrassed to apply there again hehe. What are you resitting? xx
Reply 783
I've got two quick questions for other on their gap year.

1. How do you get the reference section filled out on ucas?

2. For those who did maths and further maths, where do you find out how the modules where allocated between the subjects?
Reply 784
should I, in your opinion, write in my personal statement about my retaking and reapplying, or just send off my Personal statement as it was last year?
Original post by ah.meh
should I, in your opinion, write in my personal statement about my retaking and reapplying, or just send off my Personal statement as it was last year?

Don't include your retakes- that's for the reference. Change it to include plans for Gap Year and how it'll improve you as a person.
Original post by puma21
I've got two quick questions for other on their gap year.

People usually go back to their old school to apply through them. It's far and away the easiest way to do it.
(I've no idea about your maths question.)
Original post by puma21

I'm doing this at the moment - you need to find out your college's 'buzzword', go to the reference section of the application form, click the option that says you're applying as a private candidate and put in the buzzword. The college will then be contacted automatically and can add your reference. Obviously contact the college if there's anyone in particular you want to do it or anything in particular that needs mentioning.

To your second question, I'm no expert but maybe the quickest option would just be to work out the way that gets you the best overall marks? That's how the exam boards do it.
Reply 788
Is it crucial to add what I'm planning to do in this gap year in my PS? I've used all 4,000 characters and don;t know what to get rid off! I think its a pretty good statement (last year i got offers from birmingham, queen mary and oxford brookes).. As in I really want to add it becasue I';ve got an internship planned and work experience I did over the summer. Though I alaready have work experience and charity work down from last time, I feel that adding what I've done since then and what I'm going to do will help. But I have no space left...
What to do?
Thanks
Reply 789
Original post by Mango D
Aww thats really sad but I guess everything happens for a reason :smile:. Yh I did OCR chemistry (not the salters one tho) but I really struggled with chemistry since unit 2, if I wasn't obsessed with getting into medicine then I would have dropped it after AS. What other subjects are you doing? I'm hoping like crazy that I can do well in it this time around :s-smilie: cos I feel like I know the info but I just can't put it down on paper *sniff sniff*+ my chemistry teacher was always on my case & i really wanted to prove her wrong. I couldn't, unfortunately :rant:. Hopefully my biology and maths will save me on ucas! Wow, your year sound really exciting. I promised my little brother that I'll take him on holiday once he finishes his GCSEs so I'm looking forward to that and I'm going to find some other things to do. I joined the gym so I'm going to try and improve my stamina and run a marathon :colondollar:. I'm all talk tho so I 'll see if actually go through with it :biggrin: hehe. How many resits are you doing?

I really disliked my chemistry teacher also! & really want to prove her wrong in my re-sits!! :angry: I'm doing 4 re-sits altogether, what about you? - I only really needed to do 2 for chemistry (I'm doing F324 + F325) but thought I might as well re-take some biology to see if I can get my grade from a B to an A as I was pretty close to that also! :frown: I did Chemistry, Biology, English Lit and German. you?
ahh a holiday sounds lovely! you must get on well with your brother! I really need to join the gym also - just finding the motivation at the moment! But a marathon sounds cool :smile: my cousin took a gap year last year & he ran the london marathon! :biggrin:
Original post by ayume
Is it crucial to add what I'm planning to do in this gap year in my PS? I've used all 4,000 characters and don;t know what to get rid off! I think its a pretty good statement (last year i got offers from birmingham, queen mary and oxford brookes).. As in I really want to add it becasue I';ve got an internship planned and work experience I did over the summer. Though I alaready have work experience and charity work down from last time, I feel that adding what I've done since then and what I'm going to do will help. But I have no space left...
What to do?
Thanks

I think it is definitely a good idea to find the space, so that they know you aren't intending to waste the year just watching TV or something.
Reply 791
Original post by Mango D
Is ELAT just for Oxford?
You're applying to AMAZING universities !! :biggrin:
I literally chose my universities at the last minute last year, I just wanted to go to UEA but I'm to embarrassed to apply there again hehe. What are you resitting? xx

Yup, although UCL have another test they give you if you get an interview.

Yeh I chose mine at the last minute last year as well. If you want to go to UEA, apply! There's no room to be embarrassed about stuff like this: there's no point, you'll never know if you would have got in if you don't apply, the worst that can happen is that you don't get an offer: it wouldn't be the end of the world: embarrassment doesn't come into it. I got rejected by UCL last year and I'm applying again.

Not resitting anything :smile:. You? xx
Reply 792
Original post by HBKE1992
I really disliked my chemistry teacher also! & really want to prove her wrong in my re-sits!! :angry: I'm doing 4 re-sits altogether, what about you? - I only really needed to do 2 for chemistry (I'm doing F324 + F325) but thought I might as well re-take some biology to see if I can get my grade from a B to an A as I was pretty close to that also! :frown: I did Chemistry, Biology, English Lit and German. you?
ahh a holiday sounds lovely! you must get on well with your brother! I really need to join the gym also - just finding the motivation at the moment! But a marathon sounds cool :smile: my cousin took a gap year last year & he ran the london marathon! :biggrin:

Yh I need to work up the stamina cos after 5 mins on the treadmill at the gym I'm hyperventilating and dying lol but I really enjoy it. I was dreading it at the beginning but once I started going I couldn't wait to go again!
My chemistry teacher probably wouldn't even care, she thought I was a joke but we'll prove them wrong :smile:. I'm doing 8 exams, I'm adamant to get an A* in maths and an A* in Biology would be a bonus. Did u do edexcel snab by any chance for biology? xx
Reply 793
Original post by Mango D
Yh I need to work up the stamina cos after 5 mins on the treadmill at the gym I'm hyperventilating and dying lol but I really enjoy it. I was dreading it at the beginning but once I started going I couldn't wait to go again!
My chemistry teacher probably wouldn't even care, she thought I was a joke but we'll prove them wrong :smile:. I'm doing 8 exams, I'm adamant to get an A* in maths and an A* in Biology would be a bonus. Did u do edexcel snab by any chance for biology? xx

8! 8! I take my hat off to you good sir,
Reply 794
Original post by Seasider5
Yup, although UCL have another test they give you if you get an interview.

Yeh I chose mine at the last minute last year as well. If you want to go to UEA, apply! There's no room to be embarrassed about stuff like this: there's no point, you'll never know if you would have got in if you don't apply, the worst that can happen is that you don't get an offer: it wouldn't be the end of the world: embarrassment doesn't come into it. I got rejected by UCL last year and I'm applying again.

Not resitting anything :smile:. You? xx

Ah lucky you! I'm resitting quite a few exams specially for maths :s-smilie:. I don't actually think my hearts in UEA anymore so I don't want to waste an option :smile:. Your ucas must be pretty much ready to be sent off soon if you're applying to Oxford right? xx
Reply 795
Original post by ah.meh
8! 8! I take my hat off to you good sir,

Haha. I'm no sir :biggrin:
How many are you doing?
anyone here applying for st andrews for international relations or kcl for war studies? or been on open days for either?
Reply 797
Original post by Mango D
Haha. I'm no sir :biggrin:
How many are you doing?

Well the plan was to retake 4, but now I'm sure there's 3 or 4 more modules that can be retaken.
hi everyone! I took an unexpected gap year last year after failing to get into my firm university, so please feel free to ask/PM me for any advice etc as I have lots to give!

I'm sort of taking a second gap year too, so I guess I'm kind of part of this thread :smile:
Reply 799
Original post by Mango D
Ah lucky you! I'm resitting quite a few exams specially for maths :s-smilie:. I don't actually think my hearts in UEA anymore so I don't want to waste an option :smile:. Your ucas must be pretty much ready to be sent off soon if you're applying to Oxford right? xx

Fair enough :smile:. Yup, got sent yesterday....wait 2 days ago now looking at the clock. Deep down I wanted to keep changing my PS, but you can end up ruining it that way and it was driving me insane! Would've liked to have seen my reference though......

Yours anywhere near ready, I know this time last year mine wasn't?

If you have any questions about Leicester (went on a post offer open day), Lancaster (same as Leicester + I live pretty close so have been out in the town) or Queen Mary (went to an interview) don't hesitate to get in touch.

Bon chance! Hope your resits and application go well :smile: xx

Latest