The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pongalo
Are people mentioning that they're sitting to improve their grade? or is it just implied by 'pending' results?

Hey there

If you are resitting an AS/A2 paper you have to put it as Pending at what ever educational institute you are sitting at :smile:
Reply 981
Original post by JulietAlphaGolf

Original post by JulietAlphaGolf
I'm so glad I've read this, I thought I was the only one LOL going to keep it deactivated until Uni. Life with out Facebook is good :smile:

God, you're much more motivated than I am! Although actually when I see how much everyone's enjoying it it does kind of convince me to leave and get on with my work, which is good I suppose...
Reply 982
Original post by eagleowl

Nah, I went to Madagascar instead. Couldn't have sorry for myself if I'd tried.

Lucky sod :s-smilie: I was stuck at a really dull internship and now essentially repeating the autumn term to prepare for interview! Still, I've got January to look forward to now...
Reply 983
Original post by encoodoh
Lucky sod :s-smilie: I was stuck at a really dull internship and now essentially repeating the autumn term to prepare for interview! Still, I've got January to look forward to now...

Sorry, I guess that was rubbing it in a bit. I was there doing charity work though, I wasn't on holiday =]
I never got called for any interviews which I was very pleased about at the time, but now I kinda wish I'd had the experience... Good luck!
Original post by johnny1234
How do I fill out the education section on ucas?
I got grades ABC in the summer and I am resitting the B and C grades.....

Put down the grades you've got, as though you weren't re-sitting them. And then put the grades down again, and put pending as though you haven't sat them.

So you'll end up with 5 grades, 3 achieved, 2 pending.

Hope that makes sense :smile:
Original post by ViennaWaits

Original post by ViennaWaits
Put down the grades you've got, as though you weren't re-sitting them. And then put the grades down again, and put pending as though you haven't sat them.

So you'll end up with 5 grades, 3 achieved, 2 pending.

Hope that makes sense :smile:

Thanks for the quick reply... one more quick question lol

Do I have to mention on my personal statement that I am taking a gap year even though it is mentioned on my reference because I have used up my character limit?

Do I have to mention on my personal statement that I am taking a gap year even though it is mentioned on my reference because I have used up my character limit?

Err.. you don't HAVE to, it's your personal statement :smile: But unis would be interested to hear what you're doing in your gap year. You don't need to tell them that you're resitting 'cause they'll know that, but tell them if you're going to be working, travelling learning a new language, volunteering blah blah blah.

It's up to you, but if I were you, I'd try and fit a couple of sentences in there about your gap year. Good luck!
Reply 987

I didn't put in it my personal statement because I really wanted the characters to talk about my subject! My teacher put it in my reference instead and explained why I am taking a gap year, and she said that would be fine :smile: As long as it is mentioned somewhere then I believe it's fine.

The only time when I would explain my gap year in my reference would be if I was doing something directly related to the course I wanted to study, ie volunteering in a care home for the year and applying for nursing etc. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 988

Sorry, I guess that was rubbing it in a bit. I was there doing charity work though, I wasn't on holiday =]
I never got called for any interviews which I was very pleased about at the time, but now I kinda wish I'd had the experience... Good luck!

Haha that's OK, that sounds awesome though! What was the charity? Well I haven't actually been called yet, but I don't have to do any admissions tests, and something like 95% of applicants are interviewed - since I've got higher grades than the offer I'm fairly optimistic. It won't be getting the interview that's the hard part though!
Reply 989
Original post by encoodoh
Haha that's OK, that sounds awesome though! What was the charity? Well I haven't actually been called yet, but I don't have to do any admissions tests, and something like 95% of applicants are interviewed - since I've got higher grades than the offer I'm fairly optimistic. It won't be getting the interview that's the hard part though!

It was for a charity called LEPRA, which provides financial support and treatment for people with leprosy/TB/malaria and HIV/AIDS. It also includes educating orphans of those diseases, who may or may not have the illnesses themselves. It was incredible, I would recommend Madagascar to anybody.

I was applying with my A levels (I wasn't retaking or anything) and I got 3 unconditional offers and 2 rejections. I'm not sure if they took into account the fact I was going to be travelling when deciding whether to interview me or not. I think they can do them over skype in extreme circumstances, but it's not like I was applying for medicine or veterinary..
Reply 990
Anyone else's ex college totally desregarding ur application until all the currents students have been checked??
Sent off UCAS around last Friday, anyone know how long it will be until I receive the post pack from UCAS so I can use Track etc?

Thanks.
Reply 992
Original post by Inspire12
Anyone else's ex college totally desregarding ur application until all the currents students have been checked??

Yep. Although they did acknowledge my request for a reference on the same day as I sent it, but according to my ex-teachers it's simply a case of attaching it (as it has already been written).
I started my ucas application today nearly finished all I need is a reference and to get the statement checked , my choices are already made.
So I didn't get the AS grades I wanted, which means that I can't get into my desired course and university (Astrophysics at any prestigious Red Brick) because my predicted grades are also low. I'm taking a gap year, but I don't know what I'll be doing during that time? Essentially, I'd have to keep my academic work up-to-date by constantly doing questions from various textbooks, but apart from that, what else can I do?
Original post by subzero0137
So I didn't get the AS grades I wanted, which means that I can't get into my desired course and university (Astrophysics at any prestigious Red Brick) because my predicted grades are also low. I'm taking a gap year, but I don't know what I'll be doing during that time? Essentially, I'd have to keep my academic work up-to-date by constantly doing questions from various textbooks, but apart from that, what else can I do?

Paid or Volunteer for Work, do things to "get out the way" e.g. driving test?, travel if you want which is a usual stereotype, enjoy and relax!

Anything you want! Always wanted to visit Paris? Go! Ever wanted to learn to drive? Go! Every wanted to learn to ride a horse? Go!

It's about improving you, so do things that would make you a better person, and if learning how to roll sushi and make pastry is going to make you better, do it.

Think of it as a year for you. About improving you and making yourself better.
Reply 997

Gap years are NOT one size fits all. I didn't want to take one but once I realised that I wanted to reapply more than I wanted to leave home, I got all sorts of pressure. I got an amazing job offer, which my parents wouldn't let me take because they wanted me to stay in London and do an unpaid internship at a publishers, where I wasn't given any real work to do and my colleagues were incredibly unfriendly.

I would say that deciding to take a gap year and *then* looking for things to do on it is the wrong order. Only decide to take one if you already have plans in mind, otherwise you may regret it.
Reply 998
Hii
on the ucas form what do u put completed as level under, gce advanced subsidiary first award 2001 or last award 2001?

wats the difference between first and last??? Help!!!
Reply 999
Also how are people finding their gap year?
Does anyone feel that their parents aren't happy with ur gap year? My dad gets really angry at me sometimes even though i work on the weekends and revise on the weekdays and volunteer in between, anyone have any ideas on what other fun, not so expensive activities i could do?????
i want to learn the piano but classes are expensive :/

Latest