The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I have been rejected by medicine this year by all unis. What would happen if I was to use ucas extra to apply to chemical engineering this year as a back up? I will be reapplying to medicine next year but in case I don't get the grades for medicine, I would like to study chemical engineering.

Would unis be able to see I applied for chemical engineering and firmed it this year but then rejected it on results day, if I was to reapply to medicine because I got the grades? Would this also affect my chances of getting into medicine next year if yes?

Thank you
Hi,

I have been rejected by medicine this year by all unis. What would happen if I was to use ucas extra to apply to chemical engineering this year as a back up? I will be reapplying to medicine next year but in case I don't get the grades for medicine, I would like to study chemical engineering.

Would unis be able to see I applied for chemical engineering and firmed it this year but then withdrew it on results day, if I was to reapply to medicine because I got the grades? If yes, would this hinder my chances for medicine next year, since I applied for chemical engineering?

Also, say I got rejected by all unis for medicine again next year and since I withdrew the chemical engineering course for a particular uni that offered it me this year and i firmed it, would it be best not reapplying to that uni again since they offered it me and I chose to withdraw it after firming it?

Thank you

It's a little hard to explain, so any questions, please ask.
Reply 1182
Hi! Very new to this, but I am in serious need of advice as I don't know how this process works. I have applied for university, got my offers and have made my firm/insurance choices. The only issue now is that I really am not sure I want to go to university this year. I really love the idea of university, but I am just not sure on a course! What are my options and how do I go about changing things ucas wise? I'm so undecided

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
You need to withdraw your applications on UCAS Track, and then reapply next year, just like you did this year.

thanks for the answer!

If I reapply next year, can I stil use the same personal statement I used when I applied this year or do I have to make a new one?
Original post by reallyconfused95
thanks for the answer!

If I reapply next year, can I stil use the same personal statement I used when I applied this year or do I have to make a new one?

Yes you can from a plagiarism point of view (self plagiarism isn't a thing on UCAS) but you will want to update it to show that you're not twiddling your thumbs all gap year. Another year of education and maturity should also allow you to improve it in general, but a wholesale rewrite definitely isn't necessary.
How many gap years can you take? As many as you want?

I'm thinking of changing my career plan, as I'd plan to take this year out for resits (due to extenuating circumstances) and reapply in 2015 instead of 2014.
For my original plan of action and career, the universities were okay with this, but I'm thinking of not doing that anymore and something else.

So is it okay to apply a bit later? I don't want to be leaving it too late as I know that applicants are getting stronger and stronger each as each year goes by :frown:
Original post by LadyEcliptic
How many gap years can you take? As many as you want?

I'm thinking of changing my career plan, as I'd plan to take this year out for resits (due to extenuating circumstances) and reapply in 2015 instead of 2014.
For my original plan of action and career, the universities were okay with this, but I'm thinking of not doing that anymore and something else.

So is it okay to apply a bit later? I don't want to be leaving it too late as I know that applicants are getting stronger and stronger each as each year goes by :frown:

As many as you like - there's no age limit on going to uni. However, you should ensure that you are using your time productively. You should also be aware that after a number of years (eg 5) universities will want to see some evidence of recent study, so at that point you would need to consider doing something like some OU modules or an Access course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1187
Original post by naomihaf
Hi! Very new to this, but I am in serious need of advice as I don't know how this process works. I have applied for university, got my offers and have made my firm/insurance choices. The only issue now is that I really am not sure I want to go to university this year. I really love the idea of university, but I am just not sure on a course! What are my options and how do I go about changing things ucas wise? I'm so undecided

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in exactly the same position as you! I have offers from some good unis, but I don't know if it's the right course for me or the right place or even whether I'm ready to go this year! If I get good grades in the Summer I would seriously consider reapplying, but don't know if I would be too scared - what if I got NO OFFERS (even if I already had the grades) and didn't get in to my top choice?! It's a really scary prospect.
Reply 1188
I applied to med school last October, got 4 rejections. i do have a biomed offer. I plan on taking a gaap year and reapplying for medicine. but thats only if i get 3as. My biomed offer is for ABB. And i want to have that as an insurance, but also the option of a gap year? Is it possible for me to put it down as an insurance with no firm? Because if i get 3As or more, i'll surely take a gap year.
Also, i heard medicine was on clearing last year? true? If so, is it possible to get in with less than 3As or with 3As?
Thanks in advance!
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1189
Hey guys, I've applied for deferred entry for uni this year but my applications didn't go as well as I'd like and I'm planning to reapply during my gap year for 2015. Did anyone here reapply for university having applied for deferred entry initially? I'm a bit worried about my relatively unique circumstances as there aren't many people to help on this, any advice or information would be greatly appreciated!

I've applied for Economics and the best I got was Durham, hoping for one of Warwick, LSE or Oxbridge (applied Cambridge this year).
Hi I've got an offer for english but I'm deferring it till next year so I can do an art foundation would I be able to change my mind and reapply to do an art course if I've firmed english and got the grades?
Hi everyone, originally a 2014 applicant but I decided to take a gap year earlier in the year as I wasn't sure what I'd like to study.
My results weren't that great and I would like to resit them during my gapyeear, and I was wondering what universities think of re-sit applicants? (post a-level resit applicants)

I am particularly looking at UCL, Imperial, King's, Manchester and Bath. Thank you!
Original post by thatsciencegirl
Hi everyone, originally a 2014 applicant but I decided to take a gap year earlier in the year as I wasn't sure what I'd like to study.
My results weren't that great and I would like to resit them during my gapyeear, and I was wondering what universities think of re-sit applicants? (post a-level resit applicants)

I am particularly looking at UCL, Imperial, King's, Manchester and Bath. Thank you!

Hi thatsciencegirl,

It would depend on your subject at Bath. Our advice would be to look on the department entry requirement webpage for information on re-sits. Alternatively, you can contact the department directly, though for this we'd ask that you wait until clearing and adjustment is over, as the departments are very busy at the moment!

You can find our prospectus here.

Hope this helps!

Mary :smile:
Hey guys
I'm in desperate need of opinions and advice:

So for my AS results i got AABBB
This year i didn't wish to apply to Uni because i wanted to take a gap year. I am a carer for a Mentally ill woman (a relative) and so i wanted to take a year out and decide if i could do Medicine.
This year things got very worse round exam time for me and her, and therefore i got four U's in my Chem and Bio exams.
Long story short i didn't expect much, and ended up with ADD

Now i know it might seem very foolish to even consider applying for Neuroscience -the course i've decided- at top Uni's (e.g UCL/Bristol)
But i honestly know i can achieve A*AA this year

How can i convince Uni's of this?
Can I?
Does a mentally ill woman not being well and having an emotional affect on me count as an extenuating circumstance?
How should I approach this?

I just don't want my life's hard work of getting 7A*s/3 A's at GCSE and doing 5 AS-levels whilst taking care of someone go to waste because of one terrible year :frown:

I hope some of you have some wisdom for me as i am trying very hard to stay positive.
Best of luck to all of you on your journeys :smile: xx
Reply 1194
Original post by Alice333
Hey guys
I'm in desperate need of opinions and advice:

So for my AS results i got AABBB
This year i didn't wish to apply to Uni because i wanted to take a gap year. I am a carer for a Mentally ill woman (a relative) and so i wanted to take a year out and decide if i could do Medicine.
This year things got very worse round exam time for me and her, and therefore i got four U's in my Chem and Bio exams.
Long story short i didn't expect much, and ended up with ADD

Now i know it might seem very foolish to even consider applying for Neuroscience -the course i've decided- at top Uni's (e.g UCL/Bristol)
But i honestly know i can achieve A*AA this year

How can i convince Uni's of this?
Can I?
Does a mentally ill woman not being well and having an emotional affect on me count as an extenuating circumstance?
How should I approach this?

I just don't want my life's hard work of getting 7A*s/3 A's at GCSE and doing 5 AS-levels whilst taking care of someone go to waste because of one terrible year :frown:

I hope some of you have some wisdom for me as i am trying very hard to stay positive.
Best of luck to all of you on your journeys :smile: xx

Hi Alice
i am in a similar position as you are in. I didnt do really well this year and ended up with D D E...i had applied for pharmacy but missed my offer from top unis like cardiff and bath....so this year i am planning to take a gap year and revise everything thoroughly and reapply to unis and hopefully getting the grades that i need for pharmacy....i feel i know the content its just the extra exam revision i need to do which i did for 2 months before the exam but now i will do that for a whole year untill exams and hope that will make some difference in the outcome.

its better to stay positive as i have seen many people doing extremely well during gap year, i have also got the job so i will be working and revising for the exam.

good luck to u and hope for big smile next august
i dont know what to do. i did not do well in a2 this year getting b-maths
cs in bio and chem. i want to go into law but am unsure if i should retake and then get better uni or if i should just got through clearing, i have offers from brighton, nottingham on trent and coventry for law but am having hard time justifying raking up student bills for average unis
With regards to retaking year 13,what will happen when entering grades ? Am i allowed to use the same personal statement,or can i use most of it ?
Reply 1197
Hi, I applied for medicine this year but got rejected and I was planning on taking a gap year and reapplying. I got AAB in my A levels and I also have an offer for Biomed from King's College London. My B is in Chemistry but I know that if I retook it this year I could do better. People have been telling me that it's too risky to throw away my Biomed offer and take a gap year as my grades aren't as good as most of the medicine re-applicants with 3 A's and A*'s. They've also been saying how medical schools don't look favourably on retakes and so I would be at an additional disadvantage. Should I take the risk of reapplying this year or take the Biomed course and reapply after the three years of that degree?
I would be very grateful if any of you had any advice on what I should do in this situation.
(edited 9 years ago)
subbing
Hey guys. Taking a gap year was a last minute decision so i need some help please. Long story short I applied to go to uni in 2014 but I didn't get in and clearing didn't work out. So do I have to withdraw my application from UCAS and then apply again for 2015 ? Does this mean that I have to get my references again from my teachers?

Latest