The Student Room Group

King's College London Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Ok guys, 2A* at GCSE, 737.5 UKCAT, what do you reckon?
Reply 181
Hey, I did my UKCAT today and got 700,
but my GCSE's are only 6A's, 2B's and 3 A's in DiDA,
Is there any point in me applying to kings?
Reply 182
hey
i got 7A*s & 3As at GCSE and a UKCAT avg of 662.5 :frown: idk is applying to kings a waste of an application?? :confused:
Pretty much the same question as above - I have 7A* & 3As at GCSE (plus an A in FSMQ), AAAB at AS and predictions of A*AA.. but my UKCAT average is 665.
Reply 184
2A* 7A 2B GCSE, 737.5 UKCAT, should I apply?
does anybody have any idea how this sliding scale actually works. for example are ukcat and gcse's weighted the same or is one given preference over the other? and how is the gcse score actually calculated. is it percentage of a*'s that's contextualised like oxford or is just done by looking at your average gcse score?
Reply 186
How is 753 UKCAT, 3 A*s in Bio, Chem, Math and one A in AS Physics for King's? I've got no GCSEs since I'm an EU student (different system) but my average UMS is like 98%.
Reply 187
Original post by i go by the name
does anybody have any idea how this sliding scale actually works. for example are ukcat and gcse's weighted the same or is one given preference over the other? and how is the gcse score actually calculated. is it percentage of a*'s that's contextualised like oxford or is just done by looking at your average gcse score?

They don't work out average gcse score etc at king's, they check to see if you have a good academic background so gcse wise, they look to see if the gcse's are mainly A*s/As, and the odd B or so, the heavier your competition the more they'll care about your gcses. A-levels they care more about, and use AS as an indication of how reliable the predictions your reference suggested for you are.

UKCAT wise it varies quite a lot! KCL don't get a score but a %, so the worse your year does as a whole for UKCAT, the better you look. One of my friends applied to kcl 1 year with 750+ and didn't get in, but the 2nd year scrapped to get 600 in their UKCAT and managed to get in, so UKCAT varies a lot. The stronger your academic background, the less they care about your UKCAT.

Interview wise, the interviewers see your ps beforehand so you will be scrutinized about it, as usual will get the standard questions of why do you want to do medicine, discuss work exp etc, and then a few ethical/funding/'what's in the news' related questions etc.

Original post by seb1342
Hi guys I've got 6A* 4A GCSE, A*AAa at a level and did ukcat today and got 692.5... Reckon I got a chance?
&

Original post by TattyBoJangles
Pretty much the same question as above - I have 7A* & 3As at GCSE (plus an A in FSMQ), AAAB at AS and predictions of A*AA.. but my UKCAT average is 665.

Original post by kookyuke
hey
i got 7A*s & 3As at GCSE and a UKCAT avg of 662.5 :frown: idk is applying to kings a waste of an application?? :confused:

I think you have a shot, but make sure you have enough of a variety of work experience because that seems to be the thing that kcl looks at most i've noticed. Oh and <630 is more average. Quite a lot of my classmates varied considerably from 600 - 750+ for ukcat but still got in, so varies depending on other aspects of the individual's application, and a bit of luck too!
Original post by mya_r
I think you have a shot, but make sure you have enough of a variety of work experience because that seems to be the thing that kcl looks at most i've noticed. Oh and <630 is more average. Quite a lot of my classmates varied considerably from 600 - 750+ for ukcat but still got in, so varies depending on other aspects of the individual's application, and a bit of luck too!

Thank you! :smile:

When you say a variety of work experience, does that take into account volunteering? I have two weeks' actual work experience in two different hospitals, but I also have a fair amount of volunteering (St. John Ambulance, maths mentoring, disruptive student mentoring, Sports Leader, help out at a local Brownie pack etc.).

If that volunteering counts as work exp, do you reckon that's enough variety? I'm just worried as my work exp itself isn't very varied (one week shadowing a consultant cardiologist and transplant physician, one week in a children's hospital on the cardiac department).
Reply 189
I have an average of 652.5 for UKCAT
and 5 A*s long course GCSE and 2 short course A*s
and 3As 3Bs and a C.

For AS I got ABCC, but I'm predicted AAA for A2.

Can/Should I apply to Kings?
Reply 190
8A* , 672.5 UKCAT? Really risky in my opinion... would AAAA (bio, chem, maths, physics) at AS help me out? (Not sure what my A2 predictions will be but I'm carrying on all 4) Thanks!
Reply 191
Original post by tania<3
I know, London is amazing! But my AS grades are gonna put me at a disadvantage for UCL and Imperial so I'm better off going for the UKCAT ones - Kings and Barts :smile:

I've been to Kings quite a few times, they had lectures for 6th formers, and I went on a medicine taster course... fell in love with the place :biggrin:

Lol you want to aim for UKCAT unis whereas i want to avoid all UKCAT reliant unis! Do you know which ones look more at AS levels (the unis your deffo avoiding lol)

My ukcat was terrible :frown:
Any Canadian applicants applying to King's this year?
Reply 193
I think I'll be applying :smile: loved king's on the open day! Not such a big fan of the idea of living in London though...
Am I right in thinking I should stand a decent chance of getting an interview with 8A*s at GCSE and a ukcat average of 722.5??

Thanks!
Original post by tiggix
I think I'll be applying :smile: loved king's on the open day! Not such a big fan of the idea of living in London though...
Am I right in thinking I should stand a decent chance of getting an interview with 8A*s at GCSE and a ukcat average of 722.5??

Thanks!

Saame.. the idea of living in London is slightly scaring me but I'm applying anyway :tongue:

Yeah, I'd say you'd have a very decent chance of getting an interview here :smile:
Reply 195
Original post by tiggix

Thanks!

What are your AS and A2 predictions ?
I have:

GCSEs: 10A* (including double award ICT BTEC)
AS-level: 5A (chem,physics,math, bio, critical thinking), EPQ grade pending
UKCAT: VR: 610
QR: 830
VR: 680
DA: 810
Avg: 733

Quite a few work experiences and no voluntary work related to medicine (only volunteered at a primary school), but it was for a long time. House captain and part of school medical society. Have also been involved in other activities in school.

Should I apply to Kings?
Original post by soulcrasher
I have:

GCSEs: 10A* (including double award ICT BTEC)
AS-level: 5A (chem,physics,math, bio, critical thinking), EPQ grade pending
UKCAT: VR: 610
QR: 830
VR: 680
DA: 810
Avg: 733

Quite a few work experiences and no voluntary work related to medicine (only volunteered at a primary school), but it was for a long time. House captain and part of school medical society. Have also been involved in other activities in school.

Should I apply to Kings?

No clearly you lack the academic background to get in :angry: Idiot
Original post by studentnumber2
No clearly you lack the academic background to get in :angry: Idiot

:confused: I'm more focussed on my application as a whole, not on on my academics. Honestly, calm down.
Original post by soulcrasher
:confused: I'm more focussed on my application as a whole, not on on my academics. Honestly, calm down.

Lol I was just kidding, but seriously its pretty obvious if you read this thread at all that with 10A*s and a 733 UKCAT you are pretty likely to get an interview as long as you have a half decent PS...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending