The Student Room Group

King's College London Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Me too! n_n. KCL <3.
Reply 21
Guys listen : I have 1A* 5A 3B 2C at GCSE. I know this is bad and i have just about achieved the minimum entry requirements for kings college. To make up for this I took 6 AS's and got 6A's. Surely the 2 extra A's at AS level should compensate for my bad gcse's. furhtermore i am predicted 4A* at A2 so thats more than enough. if i get like 700 in my ukcat somehow and ace the interview, will i have a chance or do my gcse's kill it for me. I'm pretty sure ive made up for them considering AS is much more important than GCSE. I also play football and crickte for the school and clubs and have work exp. do i have a chance?
Reply 22
About time a KCL thread starts! :biggrin:

Hi, I'm an international student from Canada, and I would love to go study at KCL for the 5 year programme.
My grades are listed below... if you guys are wondering.
Sitting the UKCAT on the 29th!!! Wish me luck! :smile:

Any internationals here that can give me some hints and tips? Thank you.

Good luck to everyone :biggrin:
Reply 23
Original post by doctork2
About time a KCL thread starts! :biggrin:

Hi, I'm an international student from Canada, and I would love to go study at KCL for the 5 year programme.
My grades are listed below... if you guys are wondering.
Sitting the UKCAT on the 29th!!! Wish me luck! :smile:

Any internationals here that can give me some hints and tips? Thank you.

Good luck to everyone :biggrin:

Good luck for the UKCAT...practice makes perfect, did mine yesterday. Stay calm during the exam, use the 1 minute breaks inbetween each section to take your eyes of the screen. Heres another cheeky tip - once your 1 min between the section is up - a pop up comes up saying your time has expired. I sat there for at least another minute with that box up just to give my eyes are breather. Really helped.
Reply 24
Original post by Singh993
nope to select for interview kings use a sliding scale regarding GCSE A*'s and UKCAT average...i.e. a high number of A*'s will compensate for a lower UKCAT average.

Generally speaking, and very much so generally speaking, 9/10 A*'s or more OR a 700+ average should pretty much guarantee you an interview..

Having said this I knew some people who got a GKT interview who don't fall into either category which would suggest the selection procedure is more thorough than just this e.g. It seems personal statement does carry some weight...

my friend had only 5 A* at GCSE and a UKCAT avg of around 670 but his statement was very good (confirmed by one of the medicine people at college who read through our statements and gave advice etc ) and he got an interview late on in the cycle.

And, ofc, let us not forget the interview is mega important at GKT...around 50-60% success rate post-interview so getting an interview by no means guarantees an offer!

I hope you're right as an average of 660 for UKCAT isn't exactly good, so I'm hoping the 11 A*s and 1 A will do it.
Original post by Ivo
I hope you're right as an average of 660 for UKCAT isn't exactly good, so I'm hoping the 11 A*s and 1 A will do it.

you're pretty much a shoe-in for interview....11 A* is brill and 660 isnt a bad ukcat average by any means so do not despair!!!
Reply 26
I know this is not related to King's in any way,

But do you know how percentages convert into A-Level equivalent scores? (i.e. 90% - A*, or anything in that fashion)

Thank you!
Reply 27
Guys listen : I have 1A* 5A 3B 2C at GCSE. I know this is bad and i have just about achieved the minimum entry requirements for kings college. To make up for this I took 6 AS's and got 6A's. Surely the 2 extra A's at AS level should compensate for my bad gcse's. furhtermore i am predicted 4A* at A2 so thats more than enough. if i get like 700 in my ukcat somehow and ace the interview, will i have a chance or do my gcse's kill it for me. I'm pretty sure ive made up for them considering AS is much more important than GCSE. I also play football and crickte for the school and clubs and have work exp. do i have a chance?
Original post by hazz123

What were those 6 AS' in?
Reply 29
Maths bio chem phy RS and critical thinking. thats 6 A's at AS in top subjects. surely that willl singnle me out as one of the high achivers. it should make up for my gcse's as 2 extra A's at AS is a lot. im also predicted 4A* at A2 according to my teacher and if i were to get a high UKcat score 730+ i should get an interview at the very least? and dont uni's look at ur a levels first and then ur gcse's to diferentiate. i dont knw any1 who has 6 A's at AS and is predicted 4A* at a level?
Reply 30
Love kings so much, it would be the best if I could go there, it seems so difficult though, I was just wondering if any of you guys knew how much kings valued AS levels, and also if 6A*'s at Gcse, is considered below average at Kings!
Thanks, and good luck all for the damn UKCAT!
Reply 31
Original post by doctork2
I know this is not related to King's in any way,

But do you know how percentages convert into A-Level equivalent scores? (i.e. 90% - A*, or anything in that fashion)

Thank you!

A* = 90% at A2 and minimum 80% as AS
A = 80%
B = 70%
C = 60%

etc.
Original post by Megmad
Love kings so much, it would be the best if I could go there, it seems so difficult though, I was just wondering if any of you guys knew how much kings valued AS levels, and also if 6A*'s at Gcse, is considered below average at Kings!
Thanks, and good luck all for the damn UKCAT!

GKT aren't overly interested in AS levels...selection for interview takes mainly GCSEs/UKCAT + PS into account

6 A* is considered slightly below par for King's however i know plenty of people who got an interview with those GCSEs :smile: just work on your UKCAT and get a solid average...this combined with a good ps and you have as good a chance as anyone :smile:

good luck!
Reply 33
Original post by Singh993
GKT aren't overly interested in AS levels...selection for interview takes mainly GCSEs/UKCAT + PS into account

6 A* is considered slightly below par for King's however i know plenty of people who got an interview with those GCSEs :smile: just work on your UKCAT and get a solid average...this combined with a good ps and you have as good a chance as anyone :smile:

good luck!

Ahh thanks- Relying highly on the UKCAT then, what do you mean 'solid average' above 700/750? Thank youu!!
Reply 34
Guys listen : I have 1A* 5A 3B 2C at GCSE. I know this is bad and i have just about achieved the minimum entry requirements for kings college. To make up for this I took 6 AS's and got 6A's. Surely the 2 extra A's at AS level should compensate for my bad gcse's. furhtermore i am predicted 4A* at A2 so thats more than enough. if i get like 750 in my ukcat somehow and ace the interview, will i have a chance or do my gcse's kill it for me. I'm pretty sure ive made up for them considering AS is much more important than GCSE. I also play football and crickte for the school and clubs and have work exp. do i have a chance? my ukcat and my AS and A2 grades make up for my gcse's?
Reply 35
btw do you know what medical uni's look at ur gcse's the most and how do you know this?
Original post by kingcoltzan
Good guess. When I tell people my choices, thats the first thing they say - "what all london?"

My thinking was simple, I liked those 4 and they all happened to be in London, a city I love :colondollar:

I know, London is amazing! But my AS grades are gonna put me at a disadvantage for UCL and Imperial so I'm better off going for the UKCAT ones - Kings and Barts :smile:

I've been to Kings quite a few times, they had lectures for 6th formers, and I went on a medicine taster course... fell in love with the place :biggrin:
Reply 37
I know you guys are probably sick of people asking, but can anyone tell me if this is reasonable for King's:

7 A*s and an average 687.5 in the UKCAT? Don't want to totally waste a chance :/
Reply 38
Hey, I was wondering if anyone can help me..
For GCSE I got 5A*s 3As 2Bs and a C. However these were under VERY extenuating circumstances as I missed school from Jan due to a rather serious illness...
I got AAAB in my AS levels and 690 average on UKCAT. I also have rather alot of WEX as well as twice weekly volunteering for the past 8 months...
Would it be worth applying to kings or would it be a waste of a space?
Thankyou :smile:
xx
Reply 39
Original post by supergeek!
I know you guys are probably sick of people asking, but can anyone tell me if this is reasonable for King's:

7 A*s and an average 687.5 in the UKCAT? Don't want to totally waste a chance :/

I reckon you should get an interview with that - They seem to go for high GCSEs & UKCAT for interview first - then look at high UKCAT or high GCSEs - so don't worry if it takes a while for them to get to you - I didn't get an interview till March

Original post by MillsB
Hey, I was wondering if anyone can help me..
For GCSE I got 5A*s 3As 2Bs and a C. However these were under VERY extenuating circumstances as I missed school from Jan due to a rather serious illness...
I got AAAB in my AS levels and 690 average on UKCAT. I also have rather alot of WEX as well as twice weekly volunteering for the past 8 months...
Would it be worth applying to kings or would it be a waste of a space?
Thankyou :smile:
xx

I think you should be fine - you've got a high UKCAT and your GCSEs are fine - as long as your maths, science and english are above B. Just remember to get your personal tutor or whoever writes your academic reference to mention your problems or put it in your PS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending