The Student Room Group

King's College London Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by marc_h94
Hey guys. Would anyone be able to tell me KCL's position on AS grades? Do they place much emphasis on these or are they just looking at the predictions? Cheers

AS grades are not prioritised at selection...GCSEs/UKCAT are used in a sliding scale as explained by myself earlier on in the thread, to select for interview - it is also evident that your personal statement has some bearing too so make sure you have plenty of good stuff there :smile:
Reply 81
Original post by Singh993
AS grades are not prioritised at selection...GCSEs/UKCAT are used in a sliding scale as explained by myself earlier on in the thread, to select for interview - it is also evident that your personal statement has some bearing too so make sure you have plenty of good stuff there :smile:

Hey. :smile:
I am an intl applicant and my country has NO Gcse system so I was wondering if my IB marks, PS and UKCAT avg will determine if I get an interview. Also, do u know interview:redface:ffer ratios?
Thanks
Original post by apple17
Hey. :smile:
I am an intl applicant and my country has NO Gcse system so I was wondering if my IB marks, PS and UKCAT avg will determine if I get an interview. Also, do u know interview:redface:ffer ratios?
Thanks

with regards to IB it's a similar system...a sliding scale is used with regards to IB marks and UKCAT average (i.e. high IB marks compensate for a lower UKCAT avg...and vice versa) for selection with PS having some bearing as mentioned earlier on in the thread.
Reply 83
with regards to IB it's a similar system...a sliding scale is used with regards to IB marks and UKCAT average (i.e. high IB marks compensate for a lower UKCAT avg...and vice versa) for selection with PS having some bearing as mentioned earlier on in the thread.

Ah thank you!. One of my frds is interested in applying with 685 avg and above their IB point requirement, but not sure if 685 is good esp as TSR avs are like 700+. :eek:
Also, KCL does not have an age requirement right because I emailed them and checked their website but could find no info. :frown:
Original post by Notsocleverstudent
I contacted them, they don't give a ****. They want at least AAA predictions, and I THINK they also use your prediction to when they're balancing your UKCAT score with academic achievements(Includes GCSEs and possibly A2 prediction).

Thanks man, that's interesting because predictions are obviously less reliable than actual results! I was asking because this year there seems to be a range of medical schools that are now looking at AS grades heavily- Cambridge have always done this I know but now Birmingham and UCL are prioritising them too.
What did everyone think of the accommodation at the open day? Obviously the rest was great (campus, Gordon Museum etc.) and I still want to apply, but the halls seemed fairly run down and stuffy. I didn't think that there was much of a community atmosphere to the halls either- the bar and common room were quite small. Does anyone know (a student there preferably) whether the nightlife and general social atmosphere at Guy's compensate for this? x
Thanks man, that's interesting because predictions are obviously less reliable than actual results! I was asking because this year there seems to be a range of medical schools that are now looking at AS grades heavily- Cambridge have always done this I know but now Birmingham and UCL are prioritising them too.

is there any particular reason you ask? I see that your gcses are incredible :O
What did everyone think of the accommodation at the open day? Obviously the rest was great (campus, Gordon Museum etc.) and I still want to apply, but the halls seemed fairly run down and stuffy. I didn't think that there was much of a community atmosphere to the halls either- the bar and common room were quite small. Does anyone know (a student there preferably) whether the nightlife and general social atmosphere at Guy's compensate for this? x

take this from me as an offer holder: the number of events for freshers that ive been invited to from the kcl student union is immense...there's something going every night.

it's london...the night life will be immense!
take this from me as an offer holder: the number of events for freshers that ive been invited to from the kcl student union is immense...there's something going every night.

it's london...the night life will be immense!

Haha well I'm glad for that! But do you agree with me about the accommodation? (assuming you've visited it!) :smile:
Original post by Notsocleverstudent
is there any particular reason you ask? I see that your gcses are incredible :O

Haha thanks, it's because I want to apply to places that will primarily use my GCSEs, as they're the best part of my application.

Where are you thinking of applying? x
Haha well I'm glad for that! But do you agree with me about the accommodation? (assuming you've visited it!) :smile:

depends on where you end up

i've got a place at Great Dover Street apps...got an en-suite shower/toilet and although the rooms aren't huge i like them very much

not sure about the "community" feel...i guess i'll find out about that when i see who is in my apartment etc etc :smile:
Reply 91
Hi guys, I'm thinking of applying to King's for the 2012 entry as an international student. I'm going to be applying for the 5 year programme.

I got 92% overall in Year 11, with 97% in bio and math, 91% in chemistry. I also have numerous extra curricular activities, volunteer experiences, and work experiences surrounding the hospital environment.

I sat the UKCAT on the 29th of August, and got an average score of 685
VR: 540 :frown:
QR: 690
AR: 790
DA: 720

Now, my problem is, I'm not sure if my UKCAT is good enough for King's and whether my extra activities (please go to my user profile and read my info.. the work experiences are all there) and school mark will "cover" for it. Help?

Thank you in advance,
doctork2
nope to select for interview kings use a sliding scale regarding GCSE A*'s and UKCAT average...i.e. a high number of A*'s will compensate for a lower UKCAT average.

Generally speaking, and very much so generally speaking, 9/10 A*'s or more OR a 700+ average should pretty much guarantee you an interview..

Having said this I knew some people who got a GKT interview who don't fall into either category which would suggest the selection procedure is more thorough than just this e.g. It seems personal statement does carry some weight...

my friend had only 5 A* at GCSE and a UKCAT avg of around 670 but his statement was very good (confirmed by one of the medicine people at college who read through our statements and gave advice etc ) and he got an interview late on in the cycle.

And, ofc, let us not forget the interview is mega important at GKT...around 50-60% success rate post-interview so getting an interview by no means guarantees an offer!

Is it number of A*s up to a point or just the more the better? For instance I got 12 but would that be considered better than someone who got 10 but only sat 10?

Cheers
Is it number of A*s up to a point or just the more the better? For instance I got 12 but would that be considered better than someone who got 10 but only sat 10?

Cheers

i think it's %A* ..but not fully sure about that. generall high numbers of A*s holds you in good stead...but im pretty sure its %of A*'s achieve out of all of your GCSEs...i think :tongue:
Reply 94
Hey. Hate to be a real dick and ask. But I can't get much info from the website or on the phone. Anyone in the know what are the chances this year?

GCSE: 6A*3A
AS: AAAA
A level: A*AA (also gen stud 4th but who cares really)

UKCAT: 660

Applying in my gap year with a lot of work experience over last few years.
Original post by lyon
Hey. Hate to be a real dick and ask. But I can't get much info from the website or on the phone. Anyone in the know what are the chances this year?

GCSE: 6A*3A
AS: AAAA
A level: A*AA (also gen stud 4th but who cares really)

UKCAT: 660

Applying in my gap year with a lot of work experience over last few years.

you got a chance.. i got an interview last yr with 7a* 4A and 670. So not much different.. guess it depends on the rest of your application.
Good luck folks, certainly making a wise application choice :wink:

What kind of good stuff would be good to mention?
Original post by Jasmine_777
What kind of good stuff would be good to mention?

Take a look at the PS guide in the medicine section - numerous threads!

but imo, you need to make sure you have nailed the basics well:

-work xp ...what did you learn/take away from it is far more important than listing the sheer volumes of xp you've had!

-showing your commitment to medicine is vital...i.e. wider reading, voluntary work..

-also show how you have the non-academic skills necessary for a career in medicine...teamwork, leadership <- showing you have these via extra-curricular activities is often a good way to go about it :smile:

but as i said take a look at the ps guides...there are many threads in the medicine forum packed with good ideas :smile:
Original post by sam43
Hey,
I got 9A*s and 1 A at GCSE, however my ukcat was 657.5, what are the chances of getting an interview? Thanks. :smile:

very strong still as your GCSE grades are very good - your UKCAT average is still fairly decent...so yea you have a very strong chance of interview with those academics alone :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending