The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by Teafox
Did e-tray yesterday morning, what a slog.

I totally fluffed the numerical retest and the email section - I mean, I do science, not international relations. I just didn't have the tools to answer it properly.

Whether you go through to the FSAC depends on the 1st part of the e-tray inbox exercise.

The e-mail section is only marked if/when you go to the FSAC and counts towards that score.

The numerical/verbal retests are just to try and ensure no one 'cheated' while doing them at home.
Reply 981
Anyone here familiar with the TiB Final Selection Board?
Original post by RDCF12
I'm rather surprised you say this; I was indeed required to prove, with several items of medical evidence, my (non-visible) disability, which is not dyslexia. I'm now wondering why I was made to prove it! And I also queried the necessity to attend the familiarisation session, however i'm very glad i did - with the present unemployment situation I am quite happy for once to accept what constitutes a slight bias in my favour, as opposed to the bias against anyone lesser-abled which is inevitably the usual situation, irrespective of efforts to the contrary.

At what stage were you asked for medical evidence? I have been invited to FSAC at the end of the month so perhaps I will be asked for it then. Or perhaps they only ask for ir in the case of hidden disabilities, although I know a couple of people with cognitive disabilities who passed e-Tray and have not yet been asked for any medical evidence.

I don't think the familiarisation session is a bad idea, I'm sure it's very helpful, but I think if they are going to have it it shouldn't just be for disabled candidates. It's a matter of personal opinion though. I, personally, want the same shot as a non-disabled candidate, no bias either for or against me. You are correct in saying that there is often, intentionally or not, usually not, bias against disabled people. To my mind swinging the balance the other way occasionally, even only slightly, doesn't make up for that, it just reinforces the idea that bias of some sort should be there.
Original post by JustRollingAlong
At what stage were you asked for medical evidence? I have been invited to FSAC at the end of the month so perhaps I will be asked for it then. Or perhaps they only ask for ir in the case of hidden disabilities, although I know a couple of people with cognitive disabilities who passed e-Tray and have not yet been asked for any medical evidence.

I don't think the familiarisation session is a bad idea, I'm sure it's very helpful, but I think if they are going to have it it shouldn't just be for disabled candidates. It's a matter of personal opinion though. I, personally, want the same shot as a non-disabled candidate, no bias either for or against me. You are correct in saying that there is often, intentionally or not, usually not, bias against disabled people. To my mind swinging the balance the other way occasionally, even only slightly, doesn't make up for that, it just reinforces the idea that bias of some sort should be there.

I'd like to second whoever said that the policy recommendation ii) exercise is really hard to judge. Everyone I spoke to thought it went really badly; I think that's how you're supposed to feel. I only got through about half of the material, and my response wasn't even in prose for the most part, and yet I passed- though of course I have yet to see my FSAC feedback, I wonder when that will be released!

Also, r.e. medical evidence etc, I have mixed opinions r.e. extra time, but I think that's just on a personal, jealous, level, since I'm one of those people who ALWAYS struggles for time. In the last fortnight I've sent off all the paperwork parity asked me for; there is a medical/ health form as part of this and because I am on long-term medication etc mine took a while to clear... but now it has done... though it does surprise me that this is the first time I have had to provide "proof" of any health problems. I wrote about it under mitigating circumstances on my application form, but perhaps they simply didn't need to take it into account.

Anyway, well done/ good luck to everyone else. It's very difficult to give advice, since as people have already said, the interviewers in both the competency interview and the briefing exercise will base their questions around you as an individual; for the interview, make sure you prepare your competency examples well, and for the briefing exercise, in your preparation period spend 5 minutes thinking about what questions/ queries they might have with your idea, and how you might answer them.
Reply 984
Maybe this is a naive question, but I assure people I have read previous years posts. Essentially, if your status has been updated to 'awaiting results' are you gaurenteed to be in the amber band? The reason I ask is that a message on the home page says that if your status has not been updated after a week, it is likely you will have to wait until the pass/fail scores are revised at a later dates. Does this not mean that for up to a week there is no gaurentee you have been red/ amber/ green banded? i.e it is only a week from now that I can read anything into the status update.

We have already received pass/fail scores earlier than in other years and this message suggests that just because your status has been updated, it doesn't mean your score has been immediately assessed. I accept that if my status remains the same after a week it will mean that I am amber banded, but right now I feel even more nervous! Have I got the wrong end of the stick? I am happy to be told I am wrong!
Original post by Lady Justice
I'd like to second whoever said that the policy recommendation ii) exercise is really hard to judge. Everyone I spoke to thought it went really badly; I think that's how you're supposed to feel. I only got through about half of the material, and my response wasn't even in prose for the most part, and yet I passed- though of course I have yet to see my FSAC feedback, I wonder when that will be released!

Also, r.e. medical evidence etc, I have mixed opinions r.e. extra time, but I think that's just on a personal, jealous, level, since I'm one of those people who ALWAYS struggles for time. In the last fortnight I've sent off all the paperwork parity asked me for; there is a medical/ health form as part of this and because I am on long-term medication etc mine took a while to clear... but now it has done... though it does surprise me that this is the first time I have had to provide "proof" of any health problems. I wrote about it under mitigating circumstances on my application form, but perhaps they simply didn't need to take it into account.

Anyway, well done/ good luck to everyone else. It's very difficult to give advice, since as people have already said, the interviewers in both the competency interview and the briefing exercise will base their questions around you as an individual; for the interview, make sure you prepare your competency examples well, and for the briefing exercise, in your preparation period spend 5 minutes thinking about what questions/ queries they might have with your idea, and how you might answer them.

Try checking for your FSAC feedback report now, mine has been release. I got 17.41. (I applied for the analytical stream).
Reply 986
Congrats Cherno_samba.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by cherno_samba
Try checking for your FSAC feedback report now, mine has been release. I got 17.41. (I applied for the analytical stream).

I got mine back, not incredibly happy with it overall, I got 15.57 for GES. Technically i don't think they should have taken me as none of my competencies were above 3
Reply 988
Original post by Teafox

Has anyone else had an "oh dear, I genuinely didn't think I'd get this far, it's gone from pleasantly abstract to terrifyingly real and I'm not sure I can handle it just yet ...!" moment?

Definitely!!
Reply 989
Original post by jiggogogo
Took the FSAC last Wednesday (25th) and just got my results - I didn't get a text alert or email alert though, I just found them in my faststream inbox.

I passed :smile: anybody else heard?

Congratulations!! :smile:
Reply 990
I passed

Well done! :smile: and thanks for the advice
Reply 991
Im still waiting on E-tray results :frown: I wish they would just release results on a rolling basis like they do for FSAC!
Reply 992
I passed- though of course I have yet to see my FSAC feedback, I wonder when that will be released!

Congratulations!

When did you take the FSAC? and what options are you going for?

I was invited to DS FSB on March 21st... :eek:
Reply 993
My scheme's changed from Awaiting Event to Awaiting Results this morning which I'm assuming means i'm in the dreaded amber band. Still, I guess that means that I didn't get less than 2 in any of the competencies and I'm not in the red band at least.
Reply 994
Congrats to those who are through, and commiserations to those who aren't.

I assume that you only get your score once you know your result? In other words, you can't see it while you're in the amber band, even though your performance has been scored.
Original post by cherno_samba

Ace, thanks, I got 17.72. Oh and well done.
Original post by jiggogogo
Congratulations!

When did you take the FSAC? and what options are you going for?

I was invited to DS FSB on March 21st... :eek:

Hi, I don't have an FSB as I'm one of the analytical streams, statistics to be precise. I've already been allocated to a department but I need to visit them before I can get an official job offer. Well done though, and good luck... though I'm not really sure what the FSB entails; interviews?! Oh and my FSAC was January 4th
Has anyone who attended the FAC on the 30th heard anything back yet? My status changed to 'awaiting results' almost immediately so I'm not sure how I could have been amber banded already if they don't receive results until Friday afternoons/Monday mornings! :s-smilie:
Reply 998
Original post by treachb453
Has anyone who attended the FAC on the 30th heard anything back yet? My status changed to 'awaiting results' almost immediately so I'm not sure how I could have been amber banded already if they don't receive results until Friday afternoons/Monday mornings! :s-smilie:

I went the 31st and mine changed this morning from Awaiting Event to Awaiting Results, so I assumed i'd been amber banded. I'd assume if you haven't heard by Monday evening that you'd been amber banded.
Original post by treachb453

Hey treachb453, I also attended the FSAC 0n the 30th (I was in group 6). I was changed to "Awaiting results" on Wednesday, two days after the event.

If we have been amber banded, I assume this means no possibility o fhte diplomatic service (presumably they would only take the green band applicants)?

I was not particularly happy with how the FSAC went, but any failures were my own - I can't blame the organisers in the least, it was very professionally run.

As I understood, a numerical score would be communicated to candidates the Friday following the AC. It is now 21.00. Do any previous applicants remember what time they got their score?

Also, do you in fact get a numerical score before the result or does everything (feedback/band/yes or no) come together?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending