The Student Room Group

Quiet guys - how to approach you?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Hi everyone, can I have some advice?

I am going out with a quiet and reserved guy, have been for two and half weeks now and we have been friends for 3 months or so, but I am thinking about breaking up with him now. This is because I am becoming increasingly concerned that he is embarrassed of me. I have met his family but not his friends (except for the one we bumped into whilst out together), I updated my fb relationship status but he didn't (despite saying to me that he saw us as gf/bf), he doesn't hold my hand at uni and is a bit stand offish. Also when someone from uni asked one of my friends who I was going out with (my friend didn't reply because the girl asking was being nosy) and my bf was next to my friend at the time but didn't say anything? I wasn't there but my friend told me this. It is a bit weird that he didn't tell the girl asking that he is the one that I am going out with.
Original post by Misnomer
Hi everyone, can I have some advice?

I am going out with a quiet and reserved guy, have been for two and half weeks now and we have been friends for 3 months or so, but I am thinking about breaking up with him now. This is because I am becoming increasingly concerned that he is embarrassed of me. I have met his family but not his friends (except for the one we bumped into whilst out together), I updated my fb relationship status but he didn't (despite saying to me that he saw us as gf/bf), he doesn't hold my hand at uni and is a bit stand offish. Also when someone from uni asked one of my friends who I was going out with (my friend didn't reply because the girl asking was being nosy) and my bf was next to my friend at the time but didn't say anything? I wasn't there but my friend told me this. It is a bit weird that he didn't tell the girl asking that he is the one that I am going out with.

Are you his first girlfriend?

If you are, I think he's getting used to the fact that he now has one. He probably doesn't want to make a big deal about it and tell everyone about you. It's not because he's embarrassed of you. It isn't personal. He just isn't comfortable with everyone knowing about his private life.

You should give him some more time to get used to the fact that he's with you. It's only been 2 weeks.
Reply 582
Original post by NathanW18
Are you his first girlfriend?

If you are, I think he's getting used to the fact that he now has one. He probably doesn't want to make a big deal about it and tell everyone about you. It's not because he's embarrassed of you. It isn't personal. He just isn't comfortable with everyone knowing about his private life.

You should give him some more time to get used to the fact that he's with you. It's only been 2 weeks.

Okay thanks for the advice. Yeah I am his first girlfriend but then again he is my first boyfriend and I am also reserved yet I don't mind people knowing. Maybe I will give it more time. Just don't want to waste energy with someone if they are ashamed of me.
Okay thanks for the advice. Yeah I am his first girlfriend but then again he is my first boyfriend and I am also reserved yet I don't mind people knowing. Maybe I will give it more time. Just don't want to waste energy with someone if they are ashamed of me.

Yeah, I can see why you would think he is ashamed, but he isn't. Some people are more comfortable than others when it comes to talking about their private lives. It looks like he isn't, but he should be fine soon enough.

Just give him some time.
Reply 584
Original post by NathanW18
Yeah, I can see why you would think he is ashamed, but he isn't. Some people are more comfortable than others when it comes to talking about their private lives. It looks like he isn't, but he should be fine soon enough.

Just give him some time.

I was actually going to text him to ask if he was embarrassed by me and if he wanted to go back to being friends but maybe that is a bad idea?

Anyway, thanks for the reassurance. I appreciate the perspective. My confidence has been quite low in the past but over the summer it was improving a lot and now it feels like it is starting to get worse again due to feeling unattractive to my bf. Being in a relationship is difficult, I can't help but keep telling myself that he doesn't really like me and analyzing his actions. It is so stupid of me and I need to stop it really.
I was actually going to text him to ask if he was embarrassed by me and if he wanted to go back to being friends but maybe that is a bad idea?

Anyway, thanks for the reassurance. I appreciate the perspective. My confidence has been quite low in the past but over the summer it was improving a lot and now it feels like it is starting to get worse again due to feeling unattractive to my bf. Being in a relationship is difficult, I can't help but keep telling myself that he doesn't really like me and analyzing his actions. It is so stupid of me and I need to stop it really.

I don't think you should text him. As long as he's fine when it's just the two of you, I don't think you should worry about it.

I understand why you feel the way you are. His behaviour could easily be interpreted in a different way, but I'm pretty certain that I'm right about him.
Reply 586
Original post by Sophyla

both actually! :'] i'm studying both relationships AND sleep!

Ah yeah I don't sleep very well as of late :redface: But it's not something you'd be able to help anyway lol :cool:

Original post by Anonymous
x

Yeah, I guess rollerblading isn't for everyone, haha. I just adore it, it's the most fun in the world :biggrin:

Oh, I think he does like you. Really, the staring/looking away/awkward silences. And I just thought, him offering to "help" you with Eric could very well be him trying to figure out who you like because...you know, he likes you (:

Ah, don't worry, I'm still here, just lurking in the shadows! :ninja:

It's just that nothing has been happening, so I have nothing to analyse...

Well, nothing major has happened, but you guys don't really want me to keep reporting every detail for the rest of the school year, do you? :tongue:

He just looked at me funny and raised his eyebrows when I said "I mean, [insert real name]." And um, Evan's real name is Evan, haha. I was lazy at the moment :colondollar: Ah okay, I'll give you a hint - Thomas's real name starts with an "L" :wink:
Original post by tite23
Ah yeah I don't sleep very well as of late :redface: But it's not something you'd be able to help anyway lol :cool:

Yeah, I guess rollerblading isn't for everyone, haha. I just adore it, it's the most fun in the world :biggrin:

Oh, I think he does like you. Really, the staring/looking away/awkward silences. And I just thought, him offering to "help" you with Eric could very well be him trying to figure out who you like because...you know, he likes you (:

Well, nothing major has happened, but you guys don't really want me to keep reporting every detail for the rest of the school year, do you? :tongue:

He just looked at me funny and raised his eyebrows when I said "I mean, [insert real name]." And um, Evan's real name is Evan, haha. I was lazy at the moment :colondollar: Ah okay, I'll give you a hint - Thomas's real name starts with an "L" :wink:

I reckon it's Luke.
Reply 588
Original post by Deyesy
Why :confused: :/

Oh I don't know. Forget I said anything :smile:
Reply 589
Original post by hatemylife
I reckon it's Luke.

Shhh
Original post by tite23
Shhh

Obviously is :tongue:
Reply 591
Original post by hatemylife
Obviously is :tongue:

Noo, it almost is. Should've never given you the first letter...
Reply 592
Original post by tite23
Oh I don't know. Forget I said anything :smile:

If it's because you feel guilty then you honestly shouldn't because my failure of a love life has completely nothing to do with anyone on TSR but myself :smile:
Reply 593
Original post by tite23
but you guys don't really want me to keep reporting every detail for the rest of the school year, do you? :tongue:

Thats exactly what we want! :colondollar::biggrin:

Lucas? :biggrin:
Reply 594
luka?
Luis?
Reply 596
Liam

Leon
Hey guys, got a mini love problem of my own, this guy I like keeps giving me mixed signals...

I met him about a month ago and we kept saying hi to each other around campus, sometimes he'd even go out of his way to say hi - like one time I was eating and he came up to me and said hi, but then he said he was.. going? xD.. (I just nodded in surprise, it was really out of the blue..). I finally asked him out for some coffee two weeks ago. Totally felt like friends, and then he invited me to a restaurant the following day. Felt like friends. I could really relax around him, I was unsure whether I liked him or not.. And then I had doubts that he liked me back. He seemed more interested in his phone than talking to me in the restaurant.
But then the following week I sent him a cheer up text, because of something that happened that I thought he was upset about. He didn't reply to it, and the following day in the canteen, I was sitting with my back to the stairs where he was walking down, and my friend waved at him - causing me to turn round and look at him. Our eyes met and his head sorta ducked down... but he continued walking.
A similiar thing happened when I was walking to class, he was in a hurry, and I was like "Hey", and he said "Hey" back, but refused to look me in the eye to say it. He managed to look my friend in the eye with a smile though! (Instead of feeling jealousy I try to reason with myself, persuade myself that it's because he feels more at ease with my friend. Because he likes me? But somehow the mixed signals confuse me). I sent him a text later on that day asking if he wanted another coffee and chat, but got no reply.
And so, the following week, (this week) I found that ...he was never in the usual spots at the usual time in the canteen anymore. His skype: Away, when he usually goes "Online" even when away..
Yesterday though, I saw him for the first time in days - he said Hey.. -myname- with a small smile. Today, was awful though. I saw him, I think he saw me, but I wasn't prepared, I turned to face a lady I was talking to at the front desk (I was at the dorm front desk) and he passed me - I felt so bad about it.
I definitely tend to overthink things and panic over the smallest things..but I can't help thinking that I should've confessed during the first coffee meeting. Or been more flirty.. I texted him and imed him today but he never replied to me. We used to im each other all the time... :/ Why is he like this I wonder?

I keep thinking about texting him that I like him, I don't have the courage to call him, and I just want him to know - maybe then we'll stop being so awkward around each other, I feel like I deconstruct every thing he does, wondering if he likes me or not. No scratch that, I actually DO!

Sorry for the long post, just wanted people's opinions - should I confess my feelings over text?
Reply 598
Hey guys, got a mini love problem of my own, this guy I like keeps giving me mixed signals...

I met him about a month ago and we kept saying hi to each other around campus, sometimes he'd even go out of his way to say hi - like one time I was eating and he came up to me and said hi, but then he said he was.. going? xD.. (I just nodded in surprise, it was really out of the blue..). I finally asked him out for some coffee two weeks ago. Totally felt like friends, and then he invited me to a restaurant the following day. Felt like friends. I could really relax around him, I was unsure whether I liked him or not.. And then I had doubts that he liked me back. He seemed more interested in his phone than talking to me in the restaurant.
But then the following week I sent him a cheer up text, because of something that happened that I thought he was upset about. He didn't reply to it, and the following day in the canteen, I was sitting with my back to the stairs where he was walking down, and my friend waved at him - causing me to turn round and look at him. Our eyes met and his head sorta ducked down... but he continued walking.
A similiar thing happened when I was walking to class, he was in a hurry, and I was like "Hey", and he said "Hey" back, but refused to look me in the eye to say it. He managed to look my friend in the eye with a smile though! (Instead of feeling jealousy I try to reason with myself, persuade myself that it's because he feels more at ease with my friend. Because he likes me? But somehow the mixed signals confuse me). I sent him a text later on that day asking if he wanted another coffee and chat, but got no reply.
And so, the following week, (this week) I found that ...he was never in the usual spots at the usual time in the canteen anymore. His skype: Away, when he usually goes "Online" even when away..
Yesterday though, I saw him for the first time in days - he said Hey.. -myname- with a small smile. Today, was awful though. I saw him, I think he saw me, but I wasn't prepared, I turned to face a lady I was talking to at the front desk (I was at the dorm front desk) and he passed me - I felt so bad about it.
I definitely tend to overthink things and panic over the smallest things..but I can't help thinking that I should've confessed during the first coffee meeting. Or been more flirty.. I texted him and imed him today but he never replied to me. We used to im each other all the time... :/ Why is he like this I wonder?

I keep thinking about texting him that I like him, I don't have the courage to call him, and I just want him to know - maybe then we'll stop being so awkward around each other, I feel like I deconstruct every thing he does, wondering if he likes me or not. No scratch that, I actually DO!

Sorry for the long post, just wanted people's opinions - should I confess my feelings over text?

My answer would be; not yet. It's too early imho to let him know that you like him. You're not even sure whether he likes you back, so you could end up pouring your feelings out and then get nothing back, in which you will feel like **** :/

Maybe get your friends to talk him and see why he's being so evasive of you? :confused:
Original post by tite23

Ah, we want to know every last detail of you and Tom! Even if he so much as looks at you in the corridor, we need to know!!!

Ah, so we know Tom's real name now I guess - I think his name might be Lewis/Louis, but you said it was close to Luke... Tell us OP!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending