The Student Room Group

Quiet guys - how to approach you?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
The only solution I can think of is time :/
Reply 781
Original post by Anonymous
Ok so I told someone I like that I liked them on Sunday.. I was sure they liked me back, but turns out they didn't....
Sunday:
Him: Really? You like me? I've never thought about this stuff before. Why do you like me?
Me: Well..I think you're a cool guy.
Him: Lots of people are cool. Thanks for liking me though.. I'll think about this
awkwardness...
Me: Can i have a hug?
Him: ahaha sure sure just as friends..

The next day..
We were in the canteen and i was sitting eating with my friend and hewas in the queue, i had my back to him and my friend said that apparantly when he and his friend got their food, his friend started walking to my side of the room but he stopped him and was like no no and walked to the other side of the canteen..

Tuesday .. I was talking to a friend of mine. and friend said that 2 weeks ago when he asked him if he liked me he said no no...and he replied back saying that YOU like her don't you?

(My friend admitted he liked me, but I told him firmly that I only thought of him as a friend, I don't want anything more than that).

And then the same day, my friend asked HIM if he was afraid of me (I asked him to ask that..) but he said no..but he feels strange because I like him and he doesn't like me back..and told my friend to tell me he doesn't like me.

Also on the same day, I sent a message to HIM..taking back my confession and basically saying "Nevermind"..and that I just wanna be friends. He replied back saying .."like or not is your authority (? bad grammar lol) i'm not thinking about relationships because I must study for my parents."
I replied back saying "I understand..because i gotta study for uni as well.." and I mentioned that it was horrible for him to make my friend tell me that he didn't like me.
He replied back saying that it's more that he's not thinking about it, not that he doesn't like me, because all he thinks about is studying and he's busy, lol.
Then I asked him if we were still friends and he replied back saying yes.

And..finally..

The day before yesterday I was walking with my roommate back to my dorm, HE was there, walking in the opposite direction, towards me, and he was sorta turned away as I passed him. Neither of us said hi.

~
So what I wanted to ask was how can I make things not awkward anymore? I still want to be friends with him. I'm not even sure why I told him I liked him because I didn't even want a relationship.. I just wanted to get feelings out - plus I thought he'd accept them because I thought he liked me back ~

I was wanting to study with him this weekend, but do you think it's too awkward to try and be with him? Especially after this week? But if I don't fix things we'll never end up talking again..

Sorry for the long post!

he probably thinks you're gunna jump on him baha :')
If it were me, I'd send him some form of message, something like this:
I like you as more than a friend, and I understand that you don't feel the same for (insert reason here), but I don't want it to get in the way of our friendship because you're a nice person. So can we go back to the way things were before? I'd hate you lose a friendship because of it. :smile:

It's probable that he's freaked out, maybe he wasn't expecting you to say it and it's knocked him a bit, but I'm sure over time things will sort themselves out and he'll man up a bit :smile:
Hope I helped!

Original post by Deyesy
I'm so glad you caught on to my sly dig in the post :tongue:

Huff!
Okay, so there is this girl in one of my classes I really like but I'm wondering if it's more superficial than actual 'love' I suppose. She's really hot and I love her use of language when she talks and her strong English accent (very feminine and it sounds really nice). We barely ever talk, usually once every 4 classes we have together, and usually it's just a quick comment. Like, today, she asked what the folder in my bag was for, and I told her that it was just to put my books in and stuff, to which she didn't respond (well, just a nod).

I like talking to her but it's difficult to do so because we don't sit near each other and she's so quick out of lessons that I can't see where she goes for lunch, plus she's always late for her lessons so I can't catch her waiting outside the room. Really difficult to find her and talk to her. Right now I'm trying to think of ways I can approach her and say something, I thought of something today but before I could find her she just vanished (she leaves the classroom quite quickly, I'm usually the last to leave and by then she's gone).

She is taller than me too and a lot more good-looking compared to me. I have a pretty quiet voice so whenever I say something that other people don't hear she says it for me.

What do you think my chances are with her?

I'm in her class on Monday too so maybe I can speak to her then... if I can get the chance. I don't have a problem with talking to girls but I just need time to plan out and think about what I'm going to say and then possible questions I can ask to continue the conversation so it doesn't become awkward.

Advice?
She also says things like how I'm much smarter than her and she has never said anything about my height although she is clearly taller than me by a couple of inches... what does this mean?
Reply 784
Original post by Sophyla
Huff!

You liked it really :tongue:
Thanks for the advice guys :biggrin:
Reply 786
Anon #29, you need to delve in a convo with her as a friend to see what she's really like. If you seldom talk, she's hardly going to remind you that she is taller and anything else you may take negatively.
Original post by Hey TSR
Anon #29, you need to delve in a convo with her as a friend to see what she's really like. If you seldom talk, she's hardly going to remind you that she is taller and anything else you may take negatively.

Okay. I just need to find a way to talk to her. I would prefer to talk to her when we're alone though (which is very rare). I don't want to give her the impression that I don't care about her, but it's just difficult to say anything meaningful when there are so many people around.

Plus she may even have a boyfriend, or she could be a lesbian. How do I find out these things?
Reply 788
Okay. I just need to find a way to talk to her. I would prefer to talk to her when we're alone though (which is very rare). I don't want to give her the impression that I don't care about her, but it's just difficult to say anything meaningful when there are so many people around.

Plus she may even have a boyfriend, or she could be a lesbian. How do I find out these things?

If you do the same course, or some same modules, you could ask if she would like to work together, or even ask for 'help'. That way, it'll be just you two... :cool:

As for finding out whether she has a boyfriend, married or a lesbian, that will only be found out after talking to her. You can gauge a lot about her from just spending a bit of quality time together, even if it be an hour or two.
Original post by Hey TSR
If you do the same course, or some same modules, you could ask if she would like to work together, or even ask for 'help'. That way, it'll be just you two... :cool:

As for finding out whether she has a boyfriend, married or a lesbian, that will only be found out after talking to her. You can gauge a lot about her from just spending a bit of quality time together, even if it be an hour or two.

We are both in an A-level biology class: I did my AS biology in Year 11 and am in a Year 12 class but self-studying the A2 in the lesson... is there another way?

How do I get an hour or two with her though? And how do I actually find out if she is single or not without just outright asking her?
Reply 790
We are both in an A-level biology class: I did my AS biology in Year 11 and am in a Year 12 class but self-studying the A2 in the lesson... is there another way?

How do I get an hour or two with her though? And how do I actually find out if she is single or not without just outright asking her?

The only other way is to ask her for a coffee or something. But with that, it'd be quite obvious to her.

But if you're self-studying and she knows it, she shouldn't be surprised at your asking for help.
Original post by Hey TSR
The only other way is to ask her for a coffee or something. But with that, it'd be quite obvious to her.

But if you're self-studying and she knows it, she shouldn't be surprised at your asking for help.

No, I'm saying that I wouldn't ever need to ask her for help, as she, along with everyone else in my class, is doing AS. I'm doing A2. But we're the same age. I'm a Year 12 who has done AS biology and is self-studying A2 (in lesson - I can ask teacher for help with the content), she is a Year 12 who is doing AS.

I guess I could ask her for coffee. What do you mean by "it'd be quite obvious to her"? You mean it'd be obvious that I was interested in her? If so... is there any other way?

Thanks for your replies
Reply 792
No, I'm saying that I wouldn't ever need to ask her for help, as she, along with everyone else in my class, is doing AS. I'm doing A2. But we're the same age. I'm a Year 12 who has done AS biology and is self-studying A2 (in lesson - I can ask teacher for help with the content), she is a Year 12 who is doing AS.

I guess I could ask her for coffee. What do you mean by "it'd be quite obvious to her"? You mean it'd be obvious that I was interested in her? If so... is there any other way?

Thanks for your replies

Oh, I see. Since you have no mutual subjects, I only see 'diving in to the deep end' working. That is, to just bite the bullet and ask her for a coffee.

When I say it'd "be obvious", I mean that she will automatically question herself asking "why is he asking me out for a coffee?". But that isn't necessarily a bad thing, is it? Maybe you could say you just wanna get to know her better as you hardly ever get to spend any time with her. But the work trick hides your intentions quite well.

I really ought to do the same myself. I'm fairly good at giving advice, but shambolic at putting it into practice. :/
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Hey TSR
Oh, I see. Since you have no mutual subjects, I only see 'diving in to the deep end' working. That is, to just bite the bullet and ask her for a coffee.

When I say it'd "be obvious", I mean that she will automatically question herself asking "why is he asking me out for a coffee?". But that isn't necessarily a bad thing, is it? Maybe you could say you just wanna get to know her better as you hardly ever get to spend any time with her. But the work trick hides your intentions quite well.

I really ought to do the same myself. I'm fairly good at giving advice, but shambolic at putting it into practice. :/

Okay... maybe that will work. Not sure. I'll see if there's another way other than asking her to go out for coffee first since, as you said, I'd like to conceal my intentions.

Unfortunately we're not in any other classes...

I'd say in general there reaches a point where it's hard to keep a conversation going one-to-one. I usually say something like "what are you doing this evening/weekend/tomorrow/today etc" or "how's it going", and eventually the conversation stops after a couple of minutes.

We have a 2-hour double period on Monday and I can't wait to see her then! Unfortunately for most of it we're doing a test...
Reply 794
Okay... maybe that will work. Not sure. I'll see if there's another way other than asking her to go out for coffee first since, as you said, I'd like to conceal my intentions.

Unfortunately we're not in any other classes...

I'd say in general there reaches a point where it's hard to keep a conversation going one-to-one. I usually say something like "what are you doing this evening/weekend/tomorrow/today etc" or "how's it going", and eventually the conversation stops after a couple of minutes.

We have a 2-hour double period on Monday and I can't wait to see her then! Unfortunately for most of it we're doing a test...

Yes, I agree. If there is an alternative, and since you want to conceal your intentions, that alternative ought to be sought. However, the great thing about asking her for a coffee is that you'll know where you stand, or at least have a fairly decent idea.

I can't think of another way of getting to spend time with a person.
Original post by Hey TSR
Yes, I agree. If there is an alternative, and since you want to conceal your intentions, that alternative ought to be sought. However, the great thing about asking her for a coffee is that you'll know where you stand, or at least have a fairly decent idea.

I can't think of another way of getting to spend time with a person.

Okay... perhaps I could pretend ask for help?
Reply 796
Okay... perhaps I could pretend ask for help?

Lol, that's what I meant all this time. Even if you aren't stuck, just pretend you are.
Original post by Hey TSR
Lol, that's what I meant all this time. Even if you aren't stuck, just pretend you are.

What could I ask for help on though? We don't do the same work...
Reply 798
What could I ask for help on though? We don't do the same work...

Oh, this is a tad confusing. Ok, you're in the same class, but not doing the same work. I see.

Youcan ask her if she wants help (though that may come across as arrogance to her). I really can't think of anything else that you can ask for help on.
Original post by Hey TSR
Oh, this is a tad confusing. Ok, you're in the same class, but not doing the same work. I see.

Youcan ask her if she wants help (though that may come across as arrogance to her). I really can't think of anything else that you can ask for help on.

I have done that before but she says it's okay and that I don't need to...

I'm running out of ideas. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending