The Student Room Group

Quiet guys - how to approach you?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I wonder what the new thread should be called...

Yeah tricky. I think it'd be fitting for tite23 to decide as this is her thread.
Reply 981
I'm in Year 12, haven't yet kissed a girl, etc.

You know, I don't even know if I really like this girl or if I'm just desperate for a girlfriend or something. There are two girls I 'like', the one girl who is in my biology class, and the other who is a year older than me. They're both really cute and I like them for different reasons. The one who is older than me I've barely interacted with. She's smiled at me maybe twice and I'm pretty sure I stand little chance because she could very well have a boyfriend and I'm not sure how to ask her that.

The one who is the same age as me is really articulate but I just get the impression that I'm not good enough for her. Add that on to the fact that she is slightly taller than me (she's 5'7 maybe 5'8, I'm 5'6). I can be at the same height as her if I straighten my back and have good posture and am wearing big shoes. I was told that it's a lot harder to get a girl who's taller than you because most girls like taller guys. Thing is, we rarely interact and usually it's only the odd question about once every two weeks. And it's often me who has to say something.

Just seems pointless really, am not getting any kind of signs (from anyone, to be honest). Should I just wait until I am at uni? I just keep thinking that if I had a girlfriend it would be quite weird.

Well I turn 20 in 4 months dude and I only recently kissed my first girl...

And you can't you 'like' them if you rarely talk to them? And yeah girls like taller men for some evolutionary reason. It's weird to see a girl with a boyfriend smaller than them though I have to say.

I wouldn't 'wait' till university per sé. You don't know what's going to happen. I say that from experience and honestly? It will happen will when you least expect it to. I have the same worries as you though but trust me, you'll know when you've found the right girl and it will feel SO completely right. It's a hard feeling to describe. You'll just know :smile:

Sorry for not being anymore of a help :/
Reply 982
Original post by Deyesy
Well I turn 20 in 4 months dude and I only recently kissed my first girl...

And you can't you 'like' them if you rarely talk to them? And yeah girls like taller men for some evolutionary reason. It's weird to see a girl with a boyfriend smaller than them though I have to say.

I wouldn't 'wait' till university per sé. You don't know what's going to happen. I say that from experience and honestly? It will happen will when you least expect it to. I have the same worries as you though but trust me, you'll know when you've found the right girl and it will feel SO completely right. It's a hard feeling to describe. You'll just know :smile:

Sorry for not being anymore of a help :/

Thanks for the reply. I know it's not that bad to not be kissed at 17, but just trying to give an idea of what my experience has been so far... I agree, I can't really 'like' them if I rarely talk to them, which is why I'm thinking I should just drop the whole thing. (Also, the girl who is older than me is actually shorter than me by about 4 inches.) It's just so bloody hard to find her or get her alone because she's constantly with her friend. Plus, she's quite fast... she leaves the classroom so quickly (I'm in her class because I'm in a Y13 class for that subject) and I try to pack away my things fast but usually I've lost sight of her. And the times when she is alone, I never manage to catch up to her because I've lost her again.

I sit close enough to both of these girls to hear most of their conversations, and I've been able to find out a bit about both of them. But I can't really think of many logical reasons why I should have a 'crush' on them because, as you said, I don't know them. They're both articulate, they both have really sweet-sounding voices, they're both intelligent and mature, and both are very good-looking. But I would like to know more about them through conversation with them rather than just eavesdropping, because that's strange.

Also, a bit weird to bring this up, but I have quite a lot of stuff on my computer that a girl probably wouldn't like if I were going out with her. There are a lot of adult videos, websites, pictures, and even on my Gmail there are chat-logs of me having cyber-sex with people. If I did get a girlfriend, I want to get rid of all this stuff and make sure I'm devoted to her and only her. Do you recommend this? I just wouldn't want her logging into my computer one day and discovering all the stuff I'm into, which I would rather reveal to her gradually over time rather than have her find out.
I should also mention that the girl in Y13 got an offer from Oxford... so even if I somehow managed to go out with her then we'd probably be forced to break up because she'll be at Oxford next year and I'll still be in school. The only way it could work is if she wasn't living up there.
Reply 985
Also, a bit weird to bring this up, but I have quite a lot of stuff on my computer that a girl probably wouldn't like if I were going out with her. There are a lot of adult videos, websites, pictures, and even on my Gmail there are chat-logs of me having cyber-sex with people. If I did get a girlfriend, I want to get rid of all this stuff and make sure I'm devoted to her and only her. Do you recommend this? I just wouldn't want her logging into my computer one day and discovering all the stuff I'm into, which I would rather reveal to her gradually over time rather than have her find out.

Like women don't like it themselves :teehee:
Original post by gintoki
Like women don't like it themselves :teehee:

But would it be wrong to keep this kind of stuff still on your computer if you were in a relationship?
Reply 987
But would it be wrong to keep this kind of stuff still on your computer if you were in a relationship?

If it makes you feel safer, then yes, that's embarrassing and I understand your point :wink:
Reply 988

Not wrong as such but certainly risky. Your girlfriend may be one of these people that thinks you're hers and only hers. Your eyes must be only on her. Trust me, some people think like this.
Original post by Hey TSR
Not wrong as such but certainly risky. Your girlfriend may be one of these people that thinks you're hers and only hers. Your eyes must be only on her. Trust me, some people think like this.

Okay... so should I just play it safe and get rid of it all when I have one?

Part of me doesn't want to do that though, because it's quite a lot and it took a long time to download it all (15 GB or so)... perhaps I could just store it somewhere where she'll never find it, where I can claim it's password-protected and I don't know the password or something? I'm thinking way too much about this...

Thing is I also partly enjoy being single because I can watch what I want when I want. I won't have that freedom in a relationship.
Reply 990
Okay... so should I just play it safe and get rid of it all when I have one?

Part of me doesn't want to do that though, because it's quite a lot and it took a long time to download it all (15 GB or so)... perhaps I could just store it somewhere where she'll never find it, where I can claim it's password-protected and I don't know the password or something? I'm thinking way too much about this...

Thing is I also partly enjoy being single because I can watch what I want when I want. I won't have that freedom in a relationship.

15 GB? :toofunny:
Original post by gintoki
15 GB? :toofunny:

Yes...
Reply 992
Yes...

You really are into that stuff. That's quite a lot :colone:
Original post by gintoki
You really are into that stuff. That's quite a lot :colone:

Well, it did take me a few months to compile. Anyway, can we talk about the main issue...?

I would like to do something about my current situation but I don't know where to start.
Well, it did take me a few months to compile. Anyway, can we talk about the main issue...?

I would like to do something about my current situation but I don't know where to start.

Erm, sit down next to her and chat to her.

By the way, I think this thread will soon close. Not fully sure.
Original post by Mr Advice
Erm, sit down next to her and chat to her.

By the way, I think this thread will soon close. Not fully sure.

But how? I can't sit next to the girl in my biology class, because those seats are always occupied and we have a seating plan.

For the girl in Y13, we also have a seating plan, where I can't sit next to her. The only place I ever see her is when I'm in class with her...
But how? I can't sit next to the girl in my biology class, because those seats are always occupied and we have a seating plan.

For the girl in Y13, we also have a seating plan, where I can't sit next to her. The only place I ever see her is when I'm in class with her...

Oh yeah. Do any come to lesson early regularly? Or leave on their own? If so, that provides a good oppurtunity to talk.
Original post by Mr Advice
Oh yeah. Do any come to lesson early regularly? Or leave on their own? If so, that provides a good oppurtunity to talk.

Unfortunately, both are usually late...
They leave with other people. The girl in my biology class leaves with a friend and goes in the opposite direction I go, so I can't walk with her home. The Y13 girl leaves with a friend and also goes in a pretty much opposite direction... and most of the time I lose sight of her!
They leave with other people. The girl in my biology class leaves with a friend and goes in the opposite direction I go, so I can't walk with her home. The Y13 girl leaves with a friend and also goes in a pretty much opposite direction... and most of the time I lose sight of her!

It's quite tricky, then. If you can't do it in person for whatever reason, how about online, like Facebook?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending