The Student Room Group

Nottingham Vet School

Scroll to see replies

But have any of those people ever been / lived there? :rolleyes:

Looks like Notts are building stables on site for student livery.. Anyone thinking of taking a horse up?
Reply 21
Awww :frown: that would have been nice!

--------------

Has anyone had their nottingham interview yet??

--------------

chocci_bicci
sooooooooo many people have told me not to touch it with a barge pole!!

Tehehe, *quotes Peter Kay*... who's got a barge pole???
Reply 22
your.angel
But have any of those people ever been / lived there? :rolleyes:

Looks like Notts are building stables on site for student livery.. Anyone thinking of taking a horse up?

meeeeeee!
not sure yet, it depends on how costings work out, plus i need an offer lol :biggrin:
nina_100

Has anyone had their nottingham interview yet??

Don't think they've started yet - isn't next week the first interviews?
Reply 24
gogolin87

...and you get your books paid for...

You've got to ask yourself why they find the need to offer incentives like that?
The other established Vet Schools can solely rely on their reputation to get over 1400 applicants, where as Nottingham is almost resorting to bribery.
I think you answered your own question there really...

So they want to make a gesture and give their first intake of students some things? Plus it made no difference to applicants because they only told people in their application confirmation letters :p:

Why do you care so much what unis are offering people? You're a vet student already, so its not like it makes any difference to you.
Hawk
You've got to ask yourself why they find the need to offer incentives like that?
The other established Vet Schools can solely rely on their reputation to get over 1400 applicants, where as Nottingham is almost resorting to bribery.

Although I agree, like most current vet students, that Nottigham vet school is a bad idea, you can't expect it to rely soley on its reputation as it hasn't been around to build one. Offering free books is a pretty reasonable idea - they obviously were aware that a lot of students would be aprehensive about trying out the new place, and have come up with this to overcome those aprehensions. I think Nottingham is a bad idea purely for the fact that we'll end up with an overflow of vets, not that they'll train poor vets. (to the same point i could argue about the number of students the RVC take in, and the fact that class size in Glasgow (and i assume all the others) goes up every year.)
In the end a degree is a degree and if you work hard enough and have enough confidence with the animals then youll be a good vet no matter where you came from.
Is there some increase in the demand for vets though? Pet ownership seems to be increasing (or has it levelled off now?) which would generate a need for more vets. Although perhaps this is counteracted by the decrease in livestock? Anyone have any idea?

Also, the RVC has mainly increased its places to allow for more American students hasn't it? This wouldn't have an impact on the number of graduates being released into the UK.

I notice that nobody has said anything about my previous comments about the number of foreign vets working here currently, and how they are making up for our present shortfall....
your.angel
Is there some increase in the demand for vets though? Pet ownership seems to be increasing (or has it levelled off now?) which would generate a need for more vets. Although perhaps this is counteracted by the decrease in livestock? Anyone have any idea?

Also, the RVC has mainly increased its places to allow for more American students hasn't it? This wouldn't have an impact on the number of graduates being released into the UK.

I notice that nobody has said anything about my previous comments about the number of foreign vets working here currently, and how they are making up for our present shortfall....

I dont think that an increase in people keeping pets would have a signficant effect on the demand for vets, certainly not an extra hundred-and-odd per year.

I didnt realise that RVC had a particulary large group of North American students, if this is the case then, as you say its irrelevant.

However, surely the main reason for the number of foreign vets over here is that the overwhelming majority of home students go into general practise so there is shortfalls in certain areas like meat inspection and research. For every 200 students you train you are likely to get 199 GPs and only 1 meat inspector, so increasing the number of students is a very inefficient way of making up the shortfall. Isn't the solution to make the working conditions for this sector more appealing?
voodooshaman
I dont think that an increase in people keeping pets would have a signficant effect on the demand for vets, certainly not an extra hundred-and-odd per year.

I didnt realise that RVC had a particulary large group of North American students, if this is the case then, as you say its irrelevant.

However, surely the main reason for the number of foreign vets over here is that the overwhelming majority of home students go into general practise so there is shortfalls in certain areas like meat inspection and research. For every 200 students you train you are likely to get 199 GPs and only 1 meat inspector, so increasing the number of students is a very inefficient way of making up the shortfall. Isn't the solution to make the working conditions for this sector more appealing?

I wonder how someone would go about making meat inspection more appealing... :smile:

You're most likely right about most foreign vets being involved in other aspects of veterinary work - I have no idea of the statistics. But you do still see quite a few foreign vets working in general practice - for example during my work experience I saw all the applicants for a position at a surgery, and not one was British. Coincidence?
Reply 30
Surely as there are so many women entering the profession, more qualified vets will be needed to allow for part-time and job sharing set ups?
Reply 31
heninacoop
Surely as there are so many women entering the profession, more qualified vets will be needed to allow for part-time and job sharing set ups?

That was my point :security: :p:

I don't think its going to a problem, vets have never had difficulty getting jobs in the past, all this will do is make it like most other proffessions where there are more applicants per job so the choice for the employer will improve and vet noobies will have to search harder for a job. They've had it easy in the past but its not going to become impossible, unless intake across all uni's keeps on increasing like it is doing...

Somehow I don't think they'll have made the decision over a light chat with coffee, they've obviously scrutinised the consequences and think its the right decision!
So who has interviews at Notts coming up and when? Mine is Thursday. :smile:
Reply 33
Mine was thursday as well- but I just rang to cancel it, as I realised I really really don't want to go there!!

Good luck with yours- did you get that e-mail to show you the picture of who was going to interview you?????
Reply 34
Monday :eek: still not even thought about it i'm concentrating on liverpool seen as i'm not going to Nottingham, but i'm still taking the interview because its good practice!!! Good luck on Thursday!!!
Just to let you know, had my Nottingham interview today, and it was really good, and if anyone else has one coming up, don't worry! The practical is fun, the interviewers friendly, and the Dean answered all the queries on this thread and more - he said he'd been looking on these and other such forums to see what we all think of his Vetschool!!! Can't say anything specific about the interview, we were specifically asked not too (and I guess quite rightly so) but the day has made me like Nottingham even more!!! So fingers crossed for me :smile:
Thanks! :smile:

Yeah, I got that email...I'm not sure I like knowing who's going to be interviewing me in advance..!

It's such a pain all the stuff we have to take for the CRB check.. I presume they're not going to want to keep the originals? :confused:

*goes off in search of drivers licence / birth certificate / credit card statement*
Nottingham = No Way. Basically it is a way for Nott'm to cash in on all you little girlies out there who couldn't get into the 'safe' vet schools but want to scamper into the RCVS under the radar. I hope I am a partner in a practice when Nott'm starts to chuck out their unruly mob of failures. I will say: Nottingham? On your bike girly.

what a lovely ray of sunshine you are :smile:
Lol...that's great! Where is it quoted from?
probably that eructation guy, all his posts get deleted. i wish the mods would leave them because its good to see anouther persons point of view.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending