The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Joey_Johns
lol. I'll miss your late night depressive rant, I'm off to watch t'Bradford New Zealand Bulls face Penrith Panters in a mo :smile:

Yeah, its not exactly a big deal.

I won't be having one tonight! I'm singing in a concert (Mozart's Requiem, 8pm at West Road, Cambridgeites!) and then will be hopping between the after-party for that and my friend's birthday staircase party. Hoping to avoid one tomorrow as well :biggrin:
Helenia
I won't be having one tonight! I'm singing in a concert (Mozart's Requiem, 8pm at West Road, Cambridgeites!) and then will be hopping between the after-party for that and my friend's birthday staircase party. Hoping to avoid one tomorrow as well :biggrin:

Staircase party?
lucerna
To be honest, they should just tax higher - graduate tax etc. I know there's always the problem with the "black hole" of money the government receives through taxes - but alternatively I think it's particularly unfair that students are laiden with huge debts solely on the apparent wealth of their parents - when it's US that will have to pay it off. The tuition fees themselves - maybe not, because our parents, if they can afford it, are obliged to pay it - but living costs? All the bursary money supercedes the £3000 cost (I think) for poorer students, so not only is get quite a lot subsidised, they get help with living costs (which student loans should cover - ok we all know if you want to live properly, they're not enough, but still) whereas someone who falls just outside the help-bracket gets nada. And it still doesn't solve problems because poorer people still can't afford to go to start with.

I'd agree with the £10,000 for the richest students, although the bracket still seems quite low - especially as the means-tested methods don't take into account drains such as mortgages etc. And also paying for children still in education. I do agree though that oxbridge need more money, it will be such a shame for all the people who strive to get into top universities only to discover that the standard has been lowered dramatically.

I agree with you totally. They say it's all to do with parental income and yet the parents aren't paying it all off (in most cases). Although what I do seem as unfair is that some students have to work and other don't. However other than that we should all pay the same.
happysunshine
I agree with you totally. They say it's all to do with parental income and yet the parents aren't paying it all off (in most cases). Although what I do seem as unfair is that some students have to work and other don't. However other than that we should all pay the same.

Hehe you could at least have got Henry smoking!!!!
Joey_Johns
Hehe you could at least have got Henry smoking!!!!

LOL, he wouldn't look that cute smoking... no actually he would. I quite like this picture, you've got to admit he looks pretty lush.
happysunshine
LOL, he wouldn't look that cute smoking... no actually he would. I quite like this picture, you've got to admit he looks pretty lush.

Hmm, yeh well thats not for me to say. I like Princess Madeleine of Sweden :smile:
Joey_Johns
Hmm, yeh well thats not for me to say. I like Princess Madeleine of Sweden :smile:

She's very pretty. Are you sure she's a Princess and not a Page3 girl?
happysunshine
She's very pretty. Are you sure she's a Princess and not a Page3 girl?

:biggrin:
Joey_Johns
:biggrin:

Right, I'm off to Hudersfield for rugby fun :smile:
Joey_Johns

I don't know what you're talking about but bye!
Reply 30
Was it just me, or was there a bit of a pathetic rant about whose public/private school was better there?

Oh dear.
Suzy_vet
Was it just me, or was there a bit of a pathetic rant about whose public/private school was better there?

Oh dear.

Something like that. It was the differences between a public and a private school. Interesting.
Reply 32
happysunshine
Something like that. It was the differences between a public and a private school. Interesting.

Wots the difference, i always thought it was all the same?
Reply 33
Joey_Johns
Staircase party?

It's the way our accommodation is arranged - in "staircases" - are just individual blocks of the main building, on 2, 3 or 4 floors depending which bit you live in. So called because there is a central staircase and rooms opening off the landing on each floor. A staircase party is just a party which occupies a whole staircase (and needs official permission).
Reply 34
Helenia
I won't be having one tonight! I'm singing in a concert (Mozart's Requiem, 8pm at West Road, Cambridgeites!)

Are you using the Süßmayr completion or the Druce one, if you don't mind my asking?
Radagasty
Are you using the Sußmayr completion or the Druce one, if you don't mind my asking?

Editorial methods have got much better in recent years. I believe there was a new completion in the last few decades which is supposed to be better than the others. What's your preference Radagasty? Apparently Benjiman Britten did a version but the sussmayer is definitely the standard edition for concerts.

MB
Reply 36
musicboy
Editorial methods have got much better in recent years. I believe there was a new completion in the last few decades which is supposed to be better than the others. What's your preference Radagasty? Apparently Benjiman Britten did a version but the sussmayer is definitely the standard edition for concerts.

The Duncan Druce completion is quite recent; it may be the one you're talking about. It's the one we usually perform, and I have a slight preference for it over the Süßmayr completion. I feel that Druce has perhaps captured Mozart's intention better, though Süßmayr was clearly closer to him, chronologically and personally speaking. In particular, I think the Lacrimosa and Benedictus is superior in the Druce; Süßmayr's seem rather pedestrian and humdrum in comparison.

The Druce completion, esp. in the Sanctus, Benedictus and Agnus Dei, is really quite radical. Levin's completion is probably more musicologically defensible here, but Druce is definitely more exciting. I prefer Levin's Amen fugue (at the end of the Lacrimosa, not present in the Süßmayr) to Druce's, though.

It's quite hard to find a recording of the Druce, actually, though I know at least one such recording exists; they're generally the Süßmayr. There are many different completions, though I'm not really all that familiar with the rest. I wasn't even aware that Britten had done one.

What about you, Musicboy... what's your preference?
Reply 37
Radagasty
Are you using the Süßmayr completion or the Druce one, if you don't mind my asking?

It was Süßmayr. I've never heard the Druce one, so I don't know if I like it. It was magical though; I've wanted to sing it for about 8 years but never got the chance in my school choir, last night was so powerful it was fantastic! Exhausting though, but worth it.
Reply 38
Joey_Johns

And now the neighbours are the world champions. I'll never hear the end of this from my brother's form tutor.... However, nice to see a British team being champions of the world.
Helenia
It was Süßmayr. I've never heard the Druce one, so I don't know if I like it. It was magical though; I've wanted to sing it for about 8 years but never got the chance in my school choir, last night was so powerful it was fantastic! Exhausting though, but worth it.

What d'you sing? - alto or soprano?

If I'd read this thread before I'd have come to the concert... which choir are you in?

Latest

Trending

Trending