The Student Room Group

How to treat homeless/beggars?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Besakt
Yeah.

Does anyone know if Muslims are obligated (in their religion) to give to any sort of beggar or just a fellow Muslim?
Original post by Elissabeth
But how do you know that the people selling the Big Issue aren't just using the money they make to buy alcohol/drugs?

That's a good point. I'm OK with them drinking or doing drugs, life is hard, if that's their vice so be it. But at least they're trying to help themselves by selling the Big Issue. That's my opinion anyway.

If you were presented with two homeless people, both of which were going to use the money earnt to buy cider, one is begging for money to buy food and the other is selling the Big Issue, which one would you rather give money to?

Again like I said, it's just my opinion on it all.:smile:
Reply 62
Original post by paddy__power
If you want to help them give them food and a warm drink. Some may use money for drugs, that's correct, but most will be hungry and cold and will welcome it. I find it incredibly hard to simply walk past many homeless people as I have been briefly homeless myself. Since I was 10 or 11 I have given homeless people food and drink when I could. There is so much more we should be doing for our homeless and while I recognise many are there for reasons they could have controlled many are not and the attitude many people have that if something is somebody's own fault they don't deserve help is abhorrent to me personally. I'm often very critical of organised religions but in this case I've seen them do a lot of good, to throw that out there.

So it's best not to give money?
Reply 63
Does anyone know if Muslims are obligated (in their religion) to give to any sort of beggar or just a fellow Muslim?

Perhaps a relevent hadith:
[INDENT]A man expressed his intention to give charity, so he came with his charity and placed it in the hand of an adulteress. In the morning the people were talking and saying charity was given to an adulteress last night. The donor said: O Allah, to thee be the Praise - charity to an adulteress! He then again expressed his intention to give charity, so he went out with it and placed it in the hand of a rich person. In the morning the people were talking and saying charity was given to a rich person. The donor said, O Allah to You be the praise - charity to a rich man! He then expressed his intention to give charity, so he went out with his charity and placed it in the hand of a thief. In the morning the people were talking and saying charity to the thief. So the man said, O Allah to You be the praise (what a misfortune that charity has been given) to the adulteress, the rich and the thief! Then someone came to him and told him your charity has been accepted. As for the adulteress the charity might become the means whereby she might restrain from fornication. The rich man might perhaps learn a lesson and spend from what Allah has given him, and the thief might thereby restrain from committing theft. (Muslim/ Bukhari)[/INDENT]
Reply 64
Reply 65
Just the other day a beggar approached me and my friends. He was like "son, do you..."
I just cut him out and said look we don't have any money in slightly harsh tone and he left.
Reply 66
I get scared but i think you should jut help them by showing them where the help fingie is
Original post by Annie72
+ rep!.

I've given money and bought the big issue before now.I cant just walk past when another person needs my help, its just not me.I can go home to my warm house with its full cupboards and lie in my warm bed, some people arent so fortunate.

Anyone can end up homeless....

+ to you too.

I agree, of course :smile:
Original post by Hamesh
So it's best not to give money?

Not necessarily. Personally I prefer to give food and drink if I have it but you should give what you feel comfortable giving really. I can't make any personal assurance they won't use it for drugs and you have to decide yourself if the possibility means you wish to give in some other way because that is a personal choice, but a great many homeless are not drug addicts or alcoholics (or weren't before they became homeless) so that characterization is incredibly lazy on the part of anyone who makes it and is used simply to justify selfishness.
Reply 69
I'll sometimes give change if I have any, or a crisp/chip if I'm eating and walking home, but if I don't have any then I won't.
Original post by Hamesh
Perhaps a relevent hadith:
[INDENT]A man expressed his intention to give charity, so he came with his charity and placed it in the hand of an adulteress. In the morning the people were talking and saying charity was given to an adulteress last night. The donor said: O Allah, to thee be the Praise - charity to an adulteress! He then again expressed his intention to give charity, so he went out with it and placed it in the hand of a rich person. In the morning the people were talking and saying charity was given to a rich person. The donor said, O Allah to You be the praise - charity to a rich man! He then expressed his intention to give charity, so he went out with his charity and placed it in the hand of a thief. In the morning the people were talking and saying charity to the thief. So the man said, O Allah to You be the praise (what a misfortune that charity has been given) to the adulteress, the rich and the thief! Then someone came to him and told him your charity has been accepted. As for the adulteress the charity might become the means whereby she might restrain from fornication. The rich man might perhaps learn a lesson and spend from what Allah has given him, and the thief might thereby restrain from committing theft. (Muslim/ Bukhari)[/INDENT]

Hmmm, why then would those Romanian beggars adopt Muslim dress just for the purposes of begging?
Original post by Stratos
What need is there for guilt, it is a useless emotion that only restrains me from experiencing the greatest happiness.

That's a good motto to go by for orgasms. :sexface:
Original post by Blind Ferret
That's a good point. I'm OK with them drinking or doing drugs, life is hard, if that's their vice so be it. But at least they're trying to help themselves by selling the Big Issue. That's my opinion anyway.

If you were presented with two homeless people, both of which were going to use the money earnt to buy cider, one is begging for money to buy food and the other is selling the Big Issue, which one would you rather give money to?

Again like I said, it's just my opinion on it all.:smile:

I don't know, I wouldn't really read the Big Issue anyway, so I suppose either of them.

Then again, a lot of people selling the Big Issue aren't homeless. They live in a hostel or some such.

That does p*** me off a bit, people who actually do have a bed to sleep in and still go out and beg!

Indeed, a friend of mine told me that when his grandmother was alive, she was an alcoholic. She used to go to various tube stations to beg for money in order to go and drink. She was NOT homeless. She had a perfectly good council house to live in and adequate benefits to buy food/clothes.

That is the sort of person I don't want to give to, (and the friend also wishes that no-one gave her anything because then, she wouldn't have done it- such a degrading thing to do).
I think buying the big issue is a good way to show support- plus it's actually a good read too

I prefer to donate food or offer to pay for some food because of the whole drink/drugs issue.

I'm not in a position to be handing out twenty pound notes. I think if you really are interested in supporting people talk to your local charity or food shelter, they always want volunteers, sometimes donating your time is more worthwhile than donating your money.

And it is true, a few changes of circumstance and anyone of us could be out on the street.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 74
Hmmm, why then would those Romanian beggars adopt Muslim dress just for the purposes of begging?

Perhaps Muslims give more or they like to dress like that?

Why do they beg in the first place is the question I would be asking?
Does the UK govt not offer any support?

Look I haven't clue about begging tbh and I'm busy doing homework. :colondollar:
Reply 75
Original post by paddy__power
Not necessarily. Personally I prefer to give food and drink if I have it but you should give what you feel comfortable giving really. I can't make any personal assurance they won't use it for drugs and you have to decide yourself if the possibility means you wish to give in some other way because that is a personal choice, but a great many homeless are not drug addicts or alcoholics (or weren't before they became homeless) so that characterization is incredibly lazy on the part of anyone who makes it and is used simply to justify selfishness.

Ok thanks. I think I find it easier just to give money. They mightn't like the food or drink.
Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
It's only empathy if you're homeless/have been homeless yourself. Otherwise it's sympathy.

You know the only thing worse than correcting people on the Internet? Correcting someone and being wrong.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/empathy
Original post by jesusofsuburbia
You know the only thing worse than correcting people on the Internet? Correcting someone and being wrong.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/empathy

In what way can you intellectually identify with a homeless person? If you haven't been homeless yourself then you can't possibly say you understand what they're going through and thus you can only sympathise and not empathise. You get me bro?
Reply 78
I give them money, I don't care whether they're going to buy drugs or alcohol with it. If those things give them that little bit of mercy in their miserable lives then so be it.
Reply 79

The Warriors?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending