The Student Room Group

Are Oxbridge degrees harder than normal degrees?

if so How? and evidence?because all courses are degree standard?

Scroll to see replies

Yes they are.
Bar:
Medicine > History of Art
Reply 3
Yes.

They work you to your limits, and test your knowledge and understandings to its periphery.
Reply 4
Yes. How many other universities have lectures on a Saturday?*

*Reference to Natural Sciences (Cambridge)
Reply 5
I imagine the fact that they have shorter terms yet still have to do all of the work makes them harder
Oxbridge Degree \cong Diamond :wink:
Reply 7
Well NAH...
Reply 8
so is it harder to get a 2:1 at Oxford than a 1st at Sunderland and what are the specific equivalences of an Oxford degree and a degree from sunderland?
Reply 9
I've never studied at Oxford, but I would like to know what other members base their opinions on. I just doubt the difficulty can be that straightforward.

For example, I am assessed throughout the whole year and some things count towards my final grade. At Oxford (as far as I know), you only have exams at the end of either Hilary or Trinity term, but only once a year and even my friend studying history had none in his second year. It's true that Oxonians usually write essays intensively, but they don't count towards anything. I have to turn up in all my classes and ake sure I don't fail throughout year.

I'm not trying to imply that my degree at UCL's harder, I'm just pointing out there are several aspects that one can find easier or more difficult.
How old are you dalek?
you have to define "normal degree".

For example, Imperials engineering courses (comp sci included) are known to be notoriously difficult, probably more so than oxfords engineering courses.
Oxford's Music degree is much more advanced than most other undergraduate Music degrees in the UK :musicus:
I heard it's not so much harder but just more stuff covered at a faster rate. That's what I heard anyway.

And if it really is harder then why not just go to a London uni and get a (nearly as) prestigious degree for (much less) work?
Reply 14
I think the case of oxbridge having to jump through higher hurdles... makes it harder possibly.
Original post by Computerised
And if it really is harder then why not just go to a London uni and get a (nearly as) prestigious degree for (much less) work?

For me, I loved the idea of the tutorial system and I wanted to live in a Pemberley-style college :biggrin:

This is going to sound snotty and pretentious - but, anyway....

Some students actually rather like the challenge of working up to the edge of what they can do, enjoy their degree subject for itself, and doing so in the company of like-minded people, rather than just trying to get away with as little work as possible to get a degree.

Of course, it may not always seem that way at 4.30 am with an essay to finish. And of course not all students of that type are at Oxbridge, and of course not all students at Oxbridge are of that type.

:sheep:
Original post by Derek_the_Sheep
Some students actually rather like the challenge of working up to the edge of what they can do, enjoy their degree subject for itself, and doing so in the company of like-minded people, rather than just trying to get away with as little work as possible to get a degree.

^ This.
Reply 18
For maths, I got the impression from looking at some exam papers than Oxbridge(and Warwick I think) maths is miles harder than anything else. Could be wrong of course, but this is certainly how exams/work I've seen have seemed.

Because then you wouldn't be an Oxbridge graduate.

Plus I love my course, so more work = more fun.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending