The Student Room Group

Stockings and suspenders

My boyfriend goes crazy for them! As in, he likes me to wear them during actual sex (which I assume is pretty normal yes?). But I only own a pair of stockings - I just got them from a normal shop as most places sell them with the regular tights, yet I really want to buy some suspenders for him 'cause I know he'd adore it. But I'm just too embarrassed to go into somewhere like Ann Summers :redface:

I'm a girl btw, and personally, I love wearing them, not just 'cause my boyfriend appreciates it but because I think they look gorgeous and they make me feel good.

So why do guys love them so much?!

Is it to do with the way they feel? What is it about the way they look?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm a girl, so I can't answer from a guys point of view - but I think it's pretty obvious why a guy likes them, they make legs look absolutely amazing. It also gives the kind of element of half wearing clothes still and being that caught up in the moment. There's something quite sexy, to me, about still wearing clothes because it seems to highlight just how naked you are.

They have amazing stockings in La senza, by the way, and I think they have them on a 3 for 2 deal. My suspender belt is from Ann Summers though, think it was around €12, you just clip the suspenders (attached to the belt), onto the stockings.
Reply 2
Original post by Jessticles
I'm a girl, so I can't answer from a guys point of view - but I think it's pretty obvious why a guy likes them, they make legs look absolutely amazing. It also gives the kind of element of half wearing clothes still and being that caught up in the moment. There's something quite sexy, to me, about still wearing clothes because it seems to highlight just how naked you are.

They have amazing stockings in La senza, by the way, and I think they have them on a 3 for 2 deal. My suspender belt is from Ann Summers though, think it was around €12, you just clip the suspenders (attached to the belt), onto the stockings.

I have to agree - they do make legs look gorgeous - I don't know why I didn't think of the most obvious answer! My boyfriend says he prefers legs in stockings to bare legs :tongue:

Ooh thanks for the heads up! I didn't realise suspender belts were so expensive though! By the way, I know this is a silly question, but do you have to buy special stockings for the suspender belt? Like, you can't just use the pair of stockings you already have? I imagine there must be some kind of hook on them? :redface:
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Ooh thanks for the heads up! I didn't realise suspender belts were so expensive though! By the way, I know this is a silly question, but do you have to buy special stockings for the suspender belt? Like, you can't just use the pair of stockings you already have? I imagine there must be some kind of hook on them? :redface:

I'm sure you can get cheaper ones :smile: That's just the one I have, and it has the suspenders attached. I suppose you'll only ever really need one, but I'm sure the likes of primark have cheaper options. I think I saw one in Forever 21 for a few euro as well :smile:

No worries for asking, I thought they had to be special stockings as well haha. There's no clip, the suspender actually just clips on to the stocking itself. I think it'll always work as long as they're standard nylon stockings. I can't imagine it working with cotton ones, but I've always just used normal stockings and they stay clipped on just fine ^_^

Enjoy shopping =]
I wouldn't be embarrased about buying them, staff in Ann Summers see many worse things brought - stockings are probably their least sexual item, hahaha.

I would personally recommend La Senza, the suspender belt can get a little expensive but then, it is amazing. I personally have black lace with a little crystal thing on the front, it's really pretty, feels really nice and makes you feel you look amazing :smile: The stockings from there are also great, and probably more 'innocent' (if you can make this innocent...) than those from Ann Summers.
You could try TK Maxx if you want something nice but don't want to pay a lot. Also M&S have quite a few: http://www.marksandspencer.com/gp/search?node=42966030&field-keywords=suspender+belt&viewID=results&intid=gnav_search and they usually reduce them in sales. I don't really underwear-shop anywhere else, but I'd imagine most places that sell underwear sell them.
You can use your hold ups (provided the clasps can manage the rubbery bit) or you can get normal stockings.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous

I'm a girl btw

Thank god.
Why would you be embarassed about buying that from ann summers?
It's not like the staff are going to think you're strange when they spend all day selling vibrating anal beads and bondage gear...
Reply 8
Original post by Marshyy
Thank god.

Nothing wrong with men in stockings :sexface:

OP - there's nothing embarrassing about going in Ann Summers :smile: I mean, granted you wouldn't exactly take your gran shopping in there, but they have lots of people come in for anal vibrators, so suspenders and stockings are completely chaste compared to that. But obviously online shopping or similar is the way to go if you're embarrassed.

(Try being thrown out of Ann Summers because while you're 18, you don't have ID on you. Now that was embarrassing :lol:)
Mine were M&S, but would occasionally come undone, so I don't anymore. My cousin only uses hold-ups with suspenders, I think hers are Primark/H&M. But it could have more to do with the clasps?
Reply 10
Original post by kerily
Nothing wrong with men in stockings :sexface:

OP - there's nothing embarrassing about going in Ann Summers :smile: I mean, granted you wouldn't exactly take your gran shopping in there, but they have lots of people come in for anal vibrators, so suspenders and stockings are completely chaste compared to that. But obviously online shopping or similar is the way to go if you're embarrassed.

(Try being thrown out of Ann Summers because while you're 18, you don't have ID on you. Now that was embarrassing :lol:)

You cant go in if you aren't 18?? That seems weird too me...

OP should get some thigh high socks :coma:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Hanvyj
You cant go in if you aren't 18?? That seems weird too me...

OP should get some thigh high socks :coma:

You can't go in the sex toys bit if you're under 18! You can go in the regular lingerie bit from 16+.
They are pretty sexy, but after working as a nurse in an old folks home my opinion of them somewhat changed as I realised that so many old women wear them because they can't bend down to pull up their stockings.

LaSenza > Ann Summers
Reply 13
Does the type of clasp matter? I just wear hold ups and after reading the threads want to try suspenders now, looks like M&S is good, but note sure about the clasp thing.. :confused:
Original post by Maz1996
Does the type of clasp matter? I just wear hold ups and after reading the threads want to try suspenders now, looks like M&S is good, but note sure about the clasp thing.. :confused:

The type of clasp matters, I think. You want a suspender belt which you can rely on, so I'd recommend one with metal clasps and at least three straps. The best places to get these are from replica vintage brands such as What Katie Did or Kiss Me Deadly.
Reply 15
:smile:
Original post by Maz1996

Yes the clasp DOES matter, really should be metal! :smile: Too often the “pretty” belts aren’t designed for all-day use.:frown: These nice plain ones from M&S are good:

http://www.marksandspencer.com/M-S-Woman-Sheer-Suspender/dp/B002CNPW38?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_1&nodeId=55526031&sr=1-1&qid=1334406687&pf_rd_r=1BB1NJK8W7MNW1T183Z4&pf_rd_m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=55526031&pf_rd_p=215570647&pf_rd_s=related-items-3

or these:

http://www.marksandspencer.com/M-S-Woman-Rise-Suspender/dp/B003W3FO4E?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_2&nodeId=55526031&sr=1-2&qid=1334406687&pf_rd_r=1BB1NJK8W7MNW1T183Z4&pf_rd_m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=55526031&pf_rd_p=215570647&pf_rd_s=related-items-3

They're what I started off with. But these from stockingshq are even better:

http://www.stockingshq.com/suspender-belts-c8/stockings-hq-classic-4-strap-plain-front-suspender-belt-p449

These come in white too, the M&S ones are only in black.:smile:

Better get back to work!!
Reply 16
Thanks very much lots to consider. Need to check with if she thinks they are ok.

Do you wear them for college/ school and I guess the point is not to wear a tight skirt.

Thanks again.
Buy them online; I was shy at first buying them from shops but the Ann Summers website often does free delivery :P
Reply 18
Original post by TheHyacinthGirl
The type of clasp matters, I think. You want a suspender belt which you can rely on, so I'd recommend one with metal clasps and at least three straps. The best places to get these are from replica vintage brands such as What Katie Did or Kiss Me Deadly.

Thank you, will have a look a the site, Bex mentioned a 6 strap one so I take a look and let you know how I get on. Must say this is more help than I got at debenhams, the young girl, same age as me,did not know any thing about them or how to wear them!

Thanks again.
Reply 19
Original post by Maz1996
Thank you, will have a look a the site, Bex mentioned a 6 strap one so I take a look and let you know how I get on. Must say this is more help than I got at debenhams, the young girl, same age as me,did not know any thing about them or how to wear them!

Thanks again.

Yep, that's typical! :frown: Like Bex I wear them to school every day, the skirt is just above the knee so everything is covered, and not too tight either. And even with a slight bump showing I don't think anyone realises what it is! :smile:

Latest