The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A G484 Jan 2012 - The Newtonian World

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pooey
What did people put down for the question that asked you to state two reasons why the temperature change may not be as high... it was that greenhouse question.

i put:
1. the greenhouse isnt perfectly sealed so some of the heated up air will escape and be replaced with outside air that is cooler, and
2. the air will transfer some of its thermal energy to the surroundings e.g. the glass..
no idea if thats the correct answer
Reply 901
Original post by just george
i put:
1. the greenhouse isnt perfectly sealed so some of the heated up air will escape and be replaced with outside air that is cooler, and
2. the air will transfer some of its thermal energy to the surroundings e.g. the glass..

i put that there would be a transfer of some heat back to the ground, not sure if this is correct
Original post by Gould1610
Anybody else multiply the force by the frequency by 4 times the amplitude and get 4.32 W??

Please say somebody did as above :P

And i can't remember if it was 18mm or 1.8mm in the question about the speaker now, anybody remember that?

I think it was 1.8mm but i'm not sure...

For the acceleration question I got something around 0.41 and a few of my friends said they got a really high value, in the thousands. Could it be that they forgot to convert the amplitude to meters or am I just wrong?
Did anyone notice on the Loudspeaker SHM question, it didn't specify the amplitude in the part it asked you to work out the Power. So i would say Any power should be allowed, I wrote this in my exam so we shall see what happens.
Reply 904
Original post by ComradePoos
I think it was 1.8mm but i'm not sure...

For the acceleration question I got something around 0.41 and a few of my friends said they got a really high value, in the thousands. Could it be that they forgot to convert the amplitude to meters or am I just wrong?

no if u think about it the acceleration should be really big, its going back and forth very quickly
Reply 905

i put:

Oh, one of my mine points was the same as yours, the heat lost to surroundings, I also put that the soil may not be as efficient at transferring thermal energy to the air, I know it's stupid, but isn't valid do you think?
Reply 906
Original post by S.Patchett
Did anyone notice on the Loudspeaker SHM question, it didn't specify the amplitude in the part it asked you to work out the Power. So i would say Any power should be allowed, I wrote this in my exam so we shall see what happens.

it asked for the power required to provide the average force.. not sure what ur talking about
Reply 907
Original post by Pooey
Oh, one of my mine points was the same as yours, the heat lost to surroundings, I also put that the soil may not be as efficient at transferring thermal energy to the air, I know it's stupid, but isn't valid do you think?

it tells you the Wattage that IS transferred to the air i'm afraid so thats wrong :frown:
Reply 908
Original post by Stevo F
no if u think about it the acceleration should be really big, its going back and forth very quickly

I agree with this too, i got something that was like, 4.09 x 10^5 or something like that, it did look odd and i checked it and couldn't see where i might have gone wrong, then I thought 'hang on it is going backwards and forwards like, 5000 times a second'

Anybody else recognise the figure I've got above ^^?
Original post by Pooey

other then heat losses, I wrote that, as the air gets hotter, so the temperature difference between the air and the soil would be reduced so less heat is transfered to the air, as thermal equillibrium is being established.....dunno if that is right though
Reply 910
I agree with this too, i got something that was like, 4.09 x 10^5 or something like that, it did look odd and i checked it and couldn't see where i might have gone wrong, then I thought 'hang on it is going backwards and forwards like, 5000 times a second'

Anybody else recognise the figure I've got above ^^?

i got something x10^5... or 10^6 i cant remember but it was something like that yes :tongue:
Reply 911
Original post by DarkWave93
other then heat losses, I wrote that, as the air gets hotter, so the temperature difference between the air and the soil would be reduced so less heat is transfered to the air, as thermal equillibrium is being established.....dunno if that is right though

once again it tells you the AVERAGE wattage transferred so the reduction in transference is already accounted for :frown:
Reply 912
Original post by Pooey

I put about the heat being lost from the air to the surroundings, like the greenhouse walls, and I also said that the rate at which thermal energy is released by the soil, will diminish over the hour after the sun has gone down,

I'm quite confident with that, as I feel that's why they involved the phrase '12W immediately after sunset' in the question
Reply 913
I put about the heat being lost from the air to the surroundings, like the greenhouse walls, and I also said that the rate at which thermal energy is released by the soil, will diminish over the hour after the sun has gone down,

I'm quite confident with that, as I feel that's why they involved the phrase '12W immediately after sunset' in the question

no it said average of 12W over the hour im afraid
Original post by Stevo F
it asked for the power required to provide the average force.. not sure what ur talking about

Yeah to keep the speaker vibrating at A constant amplitude...

I wrote how some of the heat is transferred into the plants in the green house. I was thinking about heat being lost to the surroundings but dont greenhouses keep heat in?
Reply 916
For the answer asking for the satellite that has 24 hours, what was the answer?

Think i just put geostationary, did it want satellite aswell?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ouzo
For the answer asking for the satellite that has 24 hours, what was the answer?

Isnt that geostationary satellites
Reply 918
Original post by Megatron94
Isnt that geostationary satellites

Yes but do you know what the question ask exactly?

Did it ask for the type of satellite? or...
Original post by Ouzo
Yes but do you know what the question ask exactly?

Did it ask for the type of satellite? or...

Yep I think something like you have written above, I think it asked what satellite goes around the Earth with a period of 1 day something like that
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending