The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
If that's true then it certainly seems like you can. I wouldn't have though so though, as a friend of mine has an Uncle in admissions, who told her that until about 10 years ago, who you knew/how much money you had could really affect your chances, but its been moved away from that since then. I suppose its possible to have a few isolated cases though.
Original post by cambio wechsel
No, he's almost certainly right in saying that most Oxford graduates went to fee-paying schools. In recent years things have begun to change, mind, as you helpfully illustrate in linking to the figures for Oxford undergraduates admitted last year.

Oxford Graduates = people that went about 3 years ago. so 2008. Turns out they were the same as they are now - mostly state school students. http://oxundergrad.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/Oxford_Teachers_Guide/admissions_statistics.pdf
Guarantee that "most students come from private schools" = myth.
The ratio of private schoolers that are admitted is close to proportional (if not fully) to the ratio of applicants that are private schoolers.
Perhaps he means that it facilitates admissions...Probably, since in theory private schools provide better education. Most people there are not from private schools though, as - perhaps I may use your words - I helpfully illustrated with the figures for Oxford undergrads admitted last year.
Reply 202
Original post by ellasmith
Don't rate me down, but I've heard across the grapevine that some people with contacts in Oxford and with some extra moolah can BUY their way into Oxford.

For example, this super rich russian guy in my year is not really oxford mat. He's a distinctly average student who isn't really loquacious enough to blag his way in via interview or personal statement. He has links to admissions tutors in Oxford and a **** load of money and got an Oxford offer for law at BBB.

WTF? :hmmm:

OPINIONS?

It honestly wouldn't surprise me. There are LOADS of people who get places who genuinely work hard and deserve it... Even private school kids too! But yes, I wouldn't be surprised if you could. I mean, Nigella Lawson got in and it was rumoured that that was because of her fathers influence
Original post by Veronique:-)
Oxford Graduates = people that went about 3 years ago. so 2008.

There are Oxford graduates who went 60 years ago. so 1952.

Want to keep playing?
Original post by Colmans
Except there is no dentistry course at Cambridge...or Oxford

Did i mention oxbridge ?i said kings !! it was just an example supporting the op's view ,it's true you can buy your own way to highly ranked unis with money !
Get the point?

There are so many more state schools than private schools, if you were to look at the ratio of state school Oxbridge entry versus private school...I'm sure you'd find one is highly more likely to get into Oxbridge if from a private school....

And the tuition fees comment is right. My more well off friends were having Cs until they had tuition fee,s obviously they did better (As). Being well off, let's not deny,gives you a far better chance.

It's inevitable.

You can't blame them. I would have if I could have.
There are Oxford graduates who went 60 years ago. so 1952.

Want to keep playing?

Playing? You mean succumbing to your trolling? I guess I am that sad after all :tongue:.

Anyyywayyy since we're analysing the minute details.
Indeed there are. I have stats that prove my point about the years we DO know about. Those obscure admissions stats, 60 years ago, care to link them and prove that, concretely, they were mostly made up of private schoolers?
that's one.
besides, he said you *can* buy your way into Oxford indirectly, which implies that it is a certitude. Can means that one is undoubtedly, irrefutably able to do so. Yet, since they only take 24.7 percent of those private applicants who supposedly paid for all the right education and everything that it encompasses, it seems like you have more chances of NOT getting into Oxford even when you "pay for it".
:smile:
Original post by SophiaKeuning
There are so many more state schools than private schools, if you were to look at the ratio of state school Oxbridge entry versus private school...I'm sure you'd find one is highly more likely to get into Oxbridge if from a private school....

And the tuition fees comment is right. My more well off friends were having Cs until they had tuition fee,s obviously they did better (As). Being well off, let's not deny,gives you a far better chance.

It's inevitable.

You can't blame them. I would have if I could have.

24.7 percent of private school applicants being given a place against 22.4 percent of maintained sector students being given a place.
Calculated off those stats http://oxundergrad.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/Oxford_Teachers_Guide/admissions_statistics.pdf

all in all, if you're a private schooler, you have one chance out of 4.04 to get in, and if you are from the maintained sector, one chance out of 4.4.
+2.3 percent chances for private schoolers? OH NO.
. Tsk, tsk, tsk, Oxford. blasphemous discrimination , indeed.
You're right about this though: you get a better chance when you're well off. Unfortunately that's how society works - you get a better education. you can afford a greater standard of living.
that's not Oxford, that's the world.
I think it's scandalous how much they charge.
of course this is a capitalist society after all everyone wants to make a bit of extra cash on the side oxbridge is no exception ... recently hearing about gadaffis kid buying his way into LSE for instance ... if you have the money and contacts .. skys the limit really.
Original post by cl_steele
of course this is a capitalist society after all everyone wants to make a bit of extra cash on the side oxbridge is no exception ... recently hearing about gadaffis kid buying his way into LSE for instance ... if you have the money and contacts .. skys the limit really.

It's also the case, that Saif Gadaffi tried to buy his way into Oxford and the Foreign Office even tried to put pressure on them.

They told them both where to shove it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/dec/01/foreign-office-oxford-gaddafi-son

If the son of a super wealthy head of state with the help and support of a Government department can't get in for a postgrad course (much less competitive than undergrad) can't buy his way in than how the hell can anyone buy themselves or their child a place?]

Oh and I'm addressing this to everyone on the thread so don't take it as a personal attack or anything, it was just relevant to your point :smile:
Original post by fudgesundae
Yeh, if you slip a 50p coin under the admissions tutor's door at night he gives you an offer.

But seriously, he is obviously lying, you just got real life trolled

I've run out of pos reps, therefore, a post of acknowledgement will have to suffice. :lolz:
All the people on here who are saying Oxford wouldn't let someone buy their way in are stupid. If you have enough money, you can buy your way in ANYWHERE, under any circumstance. That's just how the world works.
Reply 213
yeah, it's true. Jut paypal me £25,000 and I can get you in.
Original post by Extricated
Three theories.

1) You're lying to perpetuate myths about Oxford.
2) He's lying about his "offer."
3) He seems quiet to you but may be excellent at his subject and felt more comfortable talking to people who share the same passion for his subject, excelling at interview.

:rolleyes:

4) money talks and inside contacts go a long way?
Reply 215
Original post by green chica
All the people on here who are saying Oxford wouldn't let someone buy their way in are stupid. If you have enough money, you can buy your way in ANYWHERE, under any circumstance. That's just how the world works.

How much to get inside your pants?
No, he's almost certainly right in saying that most Oxford graduates went to fee-paying schools. In recent years things have begun to change, mind, as you helpfully illustrate in linking to the figures for Oxford undergraduates admitted last year.

I am afraid this isn't the case.

In 1982 the first year with no direct grant school admissions and a virtually identical number of grammar schools as today, the number of maintained school admissions was 1404 with 1325 independent and 111 overseas and other.

In 2010 there were 1475 maintained school admissions, 1277 independent school admissions and 402 overseas and other.
Reply 217
Actually I heard a reliable story from a mate's sister at a party that Eton have a special top secret unit that place stories in the Guardian and TSR about how you have to be rich and public school educated to get into Oxbridge. Apparently by persuading clever but poor state school pupils it isn't worth applying this leaves more spaces for their ignorant stupid pupils to buy up.

Apparently it is really effective.
Original post by around
How much to get inside your pants?

I'm not sure you'd want to.
Reply 219
Three words: Prince F***ing Charles

Left Eton with two A levels in History and French and gained entry into Cambridge despite only attaining B and C grades.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending