The Student Room Group

Has anyone EVER found a job through Reed/Total Jobs/Monster?

I’m just wondering about the validity of these websites. I had someone one here telling me that they contrived a fake vacancy and placed it on one of these websites and that he had over 200 responses. If it is easy for someone to put a fraudulent vacancy through these websites, then surely it isn’t a trusted website.

Please discuss

Scroll to see replies

REED are the worst company ever. I got my job through the company themselves, but it was a temp job so we were paid through an agency (REED). Basically they took a cut close to 25% of my salary to do nothing but **** literally everything up. Stay away from them like the plague.
Reply 2
Original post by ritchie888
REED are the worst company ever. I got my job through the company themselves, but it was a temp job so we were paid through an agency (REED). Basically they took a cut close to 25% of my salary to do nothing but **** literally everything up. Stay away from them like the plague.

I have a data test with them this friday..should I go? Were they really that bad?
Original post by da_comeback
I have a data test with them this friday..should I go? Were they really that bad?

At the end of the day, a job is a job, so it's hard to be picky if you've been searching for a long time. I was very unimpressed with them, but it's easy to hate them when I had the job secured, would probably be different if I was desperately searching, which you hear oh so many people are doing at the moment.

I say go and see for yourself, you can be picky when you have more than one offer.
Reply 4
I got quite a few jobs through Blue Arrow (though this was back in 2008).
Reply 5
Original post by geetar
I got quite a few jobs through Blue Arrow (though this was back in 2008).

How about Brooke Street Buraue?
Reply 6
How about Brooke Street Buraue?

I did sing up with them, but they didn't get me anything. Like someone said, sign up with them because you might get jobs, even if it's a small chance.
I am currently employed by HAYS for a temp job. Exactly like Reed. TERRIBLE TERRIBLE company. dont do their jobs, take my money, never answer my questions. They didnt even get the name of my company right and neglected to mention that a requirement of the position was that we must work overtime and take no holiday in the next 3 months as they need all hands on deck. Not the companies fault as the specified. HAYS fault for not telling us anything... as usual. Im yet to get a correct pay check or have my emails answered without an out of office email. i literally HATE them!
Reply 8
Original post by Phoenix_147
I am currently employed by HAYS for a temp job. Exactly like Reed. TERRIBLE TERRIBLE company. dont do their jobs, take my money, never answer my questions. They didnt even get the name of my company right and neglected to mention that a requirement of the position was that we must work overtime and take no holiday in the next 3 months as they need all hands on deck. Not the companies fault as the specified. HAYS fault for not telling us anything... as usual. Im yet to get a correct pay check or have my emails answered without an out of office email. i literally HATE them!

Im getting preety desperate though..seriously
Im getting preety desperate though..seriously

I was too, the company I work for is great luckily. Unfortuantly i technically work for HAYS. I would still go with the big companies and try and get a job. Just be prepared to do all of the effort yourself. I.e. talk to any companies you get interviews with about job roles/overtime pay/ position requirements as the data these big recruiters give you cant be relied on. My job role is NOTHING like what HAYS advertised but i didnt know until I actually stared. In coinclusion if you can, Just grin and bare the employment companies as its worth it if you can secure a permenant job with the company.
Reply 10
Original post by Phoenix_147
I was too, the company I work for is great luckily. Unfortuantly i technically work for HAYS. I would still go with the big companies and try and get a job. Just be prepared to do all of the effort yourself. I.e. talk to any companies you get interviews with about job roles/overtime pay/ position requirements as the data these big recruiters give you cant be relied on. My job role is NOTHING like what HAYS advertised but i didnt know until I actually stared. In coinclusion if you can, Just grin and bare the employment companies as its worth it if you can secure a permenant job with the company.

Thanks man...xx
Reply 11
for a summer job hays got me a temp job
I tried to get work through Reed once. They rang me the day after registering on their website and kept phoning me most days, then I paid for a CRB check, they said that as soon as that came back I could start work, then they never contacted me again, or responded to my attempts to get in touch with anyone relevant.
Reply 13
I got my job through reed, but that was a co. putting an ad up on reed so all my contact was with the company, not reed. I dont know if that makes a difference.
Reply 14
Original post by ~ Purple Rose ~
I tried to get work through Reed once. They rang me the day after registering on their website and kept phoning me most days, then I paid for a CRB check, they said that as soon as that came back I could start work, then they never contacted me again, or responded to my attempts to get in touch with anyone relevant.

OMG thats really bad...
Reply 15
My friend did get a job doing admin for a national health insurance provider with Reed. She started on a temporary contract and after 6 months, went full-time permanent. That was nearly five years ago and she is still there now.
Original post by ritchie888

Reed takes a percentage of your salary? :s-smilie: I was actually thinking of trying them after seeing their funny advert, but I dunno now...
Reply 17
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Reed takes a percentage of your salary? :s-smilie: I was actually thinking of trying them after seeing their funny advert, but I dunno now...

Im not going to bother going to them after what I have read on this thread. :frown:
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom

Yeah the way it works is say its an office job at company A. Company A will tell HAYS/Reed they want a person to fill the role, which normally pays £10ph. HAYS/Reed will then say ok heres is a person. You pay us £10 for every hour they work. However when applying for that job through HAYS/Reed it was advertised to the person as £8 per hour. The person works for HAYS/Reed but at company A. Company A pays HAYS/Reed £10. HAYS/Reed pay person £8...pocketing £2 for doing nothing....

This is very vague and it does depending on the job type i.e. recruiters may charge a fixed sum/percentage of salary/higher wage (i.e. they may still pay the applicant £10 but charge company A £15)

Either way they make money off you working, dont really do a lot for you in return and repay you with messing up wages/applications etc
(edited 12 years ago)
I would just like to point out not all recruiters are like that. There are plenty of good ones. Generally the smallest ones are the best. Unfortuantly as companies get bigger they loose control over 'lower levels' so people that you would deal with directly are perhaps not so great at their jobs/get lazy/sloppy as there is less imput from higher up

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending