The Student Room Group

RVC Veterinary Gateway

Hi,

Was wondering how many people on here have applied to the Gateway course at RVC. Has anyone heard back yet, either rejections/ interviews/ offers?

What grades/ work experience do people have?

GCSES: 5A's 6B's 1C 1D
AS: Biology C Resit Chem and Physics
Predicted: B Biology, C Chemistry, D Physics and A AS Geography

Work Exp:
4 week SA Vet
1 week stables
2 years RSPCA
3 years Cats Protection
1 morning farm
work with large animals (goats,sheep, pigs, chickens, horses)
work outdoor/nature with young children

booked : 1 week lab and 2week zoo
Reply 1
Original post by Pink_tabby_kitten
Hi,

Was wondering how many people on here have applied to the Gateway course at RVC. Has anyone heard back yet, either rejections/ interviews/ offers?

What grades/ work experience do people have?

GCSES: 5A's 6B's 1C 1D
AS: Biology C Resit Chem and Physics
Predicted: B Biology, C Chemistry, D Physics and A AS Geography

Work Exp:
4 week SA Vet
1 week stables
2 years RSPCA
3 years Cats Protection
1 morning farm
work with large animals (goats,sheep, pigs, chickens, horses)
work outdoor/nature with young children

booked : 1 week lab and 2week zoo

hey! i've applied too, on their twitter they said that they're 'handing out interview invitations' but im not sure if that's in reference to vet med.
but yes, i'm checking my email every day and hoping that for some reason i haven't deleted it? (universities have evidently made me a little psycho)
GCSEs: 8As 4Bs
AS: BBC, maths, biology and chemistry respectively
Predicted: ABB... my maths was a high B and i was 1 ****ING UMS FROM A B IN CHEMISTRY!!!

in my supplementary form thing i spoke about schmallenberg which i was really worried about, but it seems to be more of a prominent issue since it's spread to england. also wrote about bovine tb and stuff, what'd you write about?

experience: 6 months mixed practice
2 months small animal hospital
and 2 weeks on farms :smile:

have you applied for any bioveterinary?
good luck with your applications!
Hi, only applied to gateway, as if don't get in going to finish my A2 in geography then reapply to vetmed and otherwise geog/bio degree to be a teacher next year.

In my supplementary I only extended about my work exp and explained that im interested in zoology/exotics and animal welfare having seen many cases.

I understand waht you mean about constantly checking.

Can I ask why you didn't apply for standard vet med as your grades are quite high?
Good Luck :smile:
Reply 3
because my teacher wouldn't predict me an A; i didn't meet the AAB and higher criteria so i was told there's no point :/
i've got offers for biovet and hoping to transfer or reapply or post grad, SOO MUCH EFFORT, but it's our dream career right?
and nice plan batman! hope everything turns out alright for you dude x
Reply 4
I've applied too, it's my only option left ha!
Reply 5
Original post by adam*
I've applied too, it's my only option left ha!

such a good opportunity, but the competition is a bit ridiculous :|
heard anything about interviews yet buddy?
Reply 6
Original post by marcllama
such a good opportunity, but the competition is a bit ridiculous :|
heard anything about interviews yet buddy?

Yeah I know, it's like my only chance now so I'm constantly checking my emails for some sort of news. Even if it's a rejection, I'd rather know now because the wait is such a killer!

No news yet, how about you?
Are you checking your spam boxes? RVC emails are notorious for disappearing into them. It even says on the website to keep checking spam incase they get lost in there
Original post by marcllama
because my teacher wouldn't predict me an A; i didn't meet the AAB and higher criteria so i was told there's no point :/
i've got offers for biovet and hoping to transfer or reapply or post grad, SOO MUCH EFFORT, but it's our dream career right?
and nice plan batman! hope everything turns out alright for you dude x

If you can I would def suggest taking a gap year/resitting and applying to vet med as an undergraduate. You cannot transfer from any course into vet med (all unis have a very strict policy on this) and getting in as a grad is difficult as there is a lot of competition and with the exception of RVC and Notts, graduate courses are upwards of 18k a year, which must be paid upfront and there is NO government help, so its a VERY expensive option.

One more year of you life is nothing compared to the years as a vet if you get in. I know your desperate to jump straight in but trust me when I say its worth taking your time and getting it right the first time around
Reply 9
Original post by Phoenix_147
If you can I would def suggest taking a gap year/resitting and applying to vet med as an undergraduate. You cannot transfer from any course into vet med (all unis have a very strict policy on this) and getting in as a grad is difficult as there is a lot of competition and with the exception of RVC and Notts, graduate courses are upwards of 18k a year, which must be paid upfront and there is NO government help, so its a VERY expensive option.

One more year of you life is nothing compared to the years as a vet if you get in. I know your desperate to jump straight in but trust me when I say its worth taking your time and getting it right the first time around

thanks for the advice, i've already taken a year out though for personal reasons :/ i think my best option from this point is to ace all my a2 modules to get AAB and reapply whilst doing my first year of bioveterinary? stronger personal statement, a lot more experience and displaying my commitment.
it's a toughie, i know i have what it takes and all my local vets are rooting for me, i just examine terribly and panic like **** in the exam hall haha :frown:
Reply 10
Original post by adam*
Yeah I know, it's like my only chance now so I'm constantly checking my emails for some sort of news. Even if it's a rejection, I'd rather know now because the wait is such a killer!

No news yet, how about you?

me neither, i keep thinking i've deleted it by accident. i still have no news from liverpool for bioveterinary. blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Interviews for the RVC Gateway are now being sent. Check your spam boxes as mine went straight in there yesterday!
Good luck for those of you still waiting! :smile:
Reply 12
Hey, i noticed you all applied for the Veterinary gateway course in 2010/11.I have been invited to this years interview so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to prepare myself and what would be beneficial to read up on? I am really anxious :s-smilie: Thank you :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
interview on the 29th :smile:
I received my interview yesterday, for the 29th also. :smile:

GCSEs: 7 A*s (4 from my eMedia BTEC), 2 As, 4Bs (Including the three in science...)
AS: ABBC in Bio, Physics, English LangLit and Chem
I managed to convince my teachers to predict me three As for A2. I was so disappointed in myself with chem.

I was getting so panicked about the gateway form; I didn't say much for the additional PS bit. Sososososo relieved I have an interview. xD I have one for Edinburgh which is my favourite but I'm worried about the grade requirements.

Besides, I have family in London. It'll be soooo expensive to study there but at least I can just invite myself to the odd curry night at my aunt's house. :P

Good luck everyone!
Reply 15
RVC gateway offer :smile: who will I see in September?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending