The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

:s-smilie: This is totally normal. Why on earth would it be abnormal? I would argue that the majority of people go to the gym alone.
Yes going with a friend can for some help motivate them. The trouble is that friend/s will not be there all the time and then where will the motivation come from? you need to find the motivation from within you firstly, otherwise in the long term you will find yourself eventually not going.
Reply 62
Always alone.
Reply 63
The fact that these types of problems burden every teenager is only made worse when they think this type of **** matters.
Id look at you with disgust and wonder what the f**K you are doing in the gym by yourself.Tthen mock you with my bros while we shower together after our workout, just as would everyone else would do.
Reply 65
I always go on my own. It's definitely the norm at my gym.
Reply 66
I go to the gym on my own all the time...with headphones in its the only time I get any peace!
Since I've recently started going to the gym, I always go alone but it can be a bit demoralising and I get what you mean. Its not because its embarrassing being by yourself or anything, its just nicer to be doing exercise with people you know as it motivates you in my opinion. But I'm on a gap year and my friends are at uni so thats most probably why I feel demoralised.
i go to gym on my own as well mostly...sometimes some friends tag along and i catch some in the gym but 80% of the time i go on my own, nothing wrong with that
I used to go with a group of friends, but they could never keep up with the intensity I train at, as a result they would always sit around talking...

Now I go on my own :smile: It's perfectly normal!
Original post by Bellissima
well i heard running on concrete is bad on your knees because of the impact and my family has a history of bad knees and even though i'm 18 they hurt a bit some times so i don't want to damage them doing that...

i would go cycling but i want to get to a level of stamina in the gym first before i go cycling because at the moment i can't even enjoy it because where i live the routes are so hilly.

No pain no gain in response to your cycling problem, push the bike if you need, just started back running myself a couple of days ago and went again tonight even though I was aching, gentle jogging on concrete should be fine, technique and breathing right also would be of great help, go to your local running shop and find out about your running form and then they will answer things better than I can, for running you could do it on sand or grass and that would be easier on the knees or if you are concerned about your knees then there isn't much you can do other than body weight exercises, spend £30 pound on a session with a personal trainer and explain your predicament before hand.
If you want to get fit you need to get into a routine and not have a can't do attitude about it:smile: HTH
I specifically choose the gym where I am very unlikely to meet someone I know - much easier to concentrate.

tried going to the gym with my friend a year ago - she would finish on the treadmill after 10 minutes and just stand there, just right next to me, waiting for me to get off as well. bloody annoying!
Reply 72
I've never thought of going to the gym other than by myself.

You're there to work-out not to have a chat and socialize?

When I do bump into people I know, I find it much, much harder to get anything done because of the need to chat to the person.

Much prefer going by myself with my iPod and just getting in the zone.
Original post by Bellissima
why are you stalking my questions? i asked that ages ago... i asked it again because i wanted to and still haven't gone to the gym yet....... don't really see the problem, it isn't hurting anyone...

lol i do lack motivation, i will be the first to say that... but i do want to go..

Couldn't resist clicking the link just to see the time period and 2.5 months is hardly 'ages ago'. If you want to go then just go FFS. If you'd been going since you posted that first thread you'd have some great improvements in fitness already thanks to the newbie effect.

The only person stopping you is yourself.
Reply 74
I look like a complete idiot doing any sort of exercise, so I prefer it if nobody I know sees me doing it. I make weird faces :sigh:

I tend to use the gym at work at the end of the day, and it's usually completely empty at that time since lots of people go at lunch.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 75
Original post by hafa
Always alone.

Spoiler

about 90% of people I see at the gym are working out alone.
Reply 77
Original post by Ilyas
about 90% of people I see at the gym are working out alone.

this
Reply 78
Going to the gym with friends is weird imo. Nearly everyone is there alone.
I have my own gym, where most people go on their own, men and women! At first, I told my dad, because he is a member, I do not know what to do / (induction, you travel, it was explained that all the machines) and my father was a member of.

Latest