The Student Room Group

Freelance writing

A teacher at school once mentioned freelance writing to me as an idea, and I never thought any more of it until today when it came up as an idea online, and frankly, it seems like a good idea to earn some extra cash. I love to write, so it doesn't seem like there's much to lose, and I don't have any expectations of actually earning any money...but it's worth a try right? I wondered if any of you had any experience of freelance writing, and could offer any ideas or help?

Best wishes
Reply 1
If you're attracted to the idea of freelance writing because it seems like a good idea to earn some extra cash, it strikes me as odd that you don't have any expectations of actually earning any money.

Be careful of online offers for freelance writing. A lot of these sites are offering cash for essays. You don't want to get involved with them. A friend of mine did it and his payslip had deductions taken for the most ridiculous things. Ultimately, they're unethical companies as well, so think carefully about getting involved with something like that.

Freelance writing is becoming rarer as a opportunity and is generally only open to established writers. If you've got writing talent, you need to get yourself noticed by reputable newspapers, magazines etc. Blogging is still one of the best ways to do that today, but also by letter-writing to major newspapers as well. Websites like Cracked.com are always looking for articles, so that might be a good place to start.
Reply 2
Well, I don't have any expectations of earning money from it, but then I don't know what's possible and what isn't!

Thanks for your advice :smile:
Reply 3
Have a contact who can give you paid writing work, otherwise you're stuffed. With the rise of blogs (people writing 'copy' for free), paid work for writing is massively difficult to earn money from, unless you already have a track record.
Reply 4
Freelance writing is a useful odd job for students. Working as a freelance writer you can get a good experience and gain some money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending