The Student Room Group

Exeter College Oxford allows homophobic organisation to hold conference on premises

Some very interesting articles to read here. I particularly agree with the response article (the second link).

I am an Oxford graduate and very pro-Oxford. However, I am disappointed in Exeter College.

Having been employed in a good deal of access work encouraging applications to the University from disadvantaged, lower socio-economic, and minority groups, I do believe the actions of Exeter College are quite worrying. It has the potential to discourage applications, if not from the University, at least from Exeter College - especially if the applicant is concerned about how inclusive and welcoming their future university appears to be.

http://oxfordstudent.com/2012/02/15/exeter-welcomes-homophobes/

http://oxfordstudent.com/2012/02/16/concerned-about-christians/ (Deals with the counter argument to 'freedom of speech' very well.)

The articles explain how the organisation in question believes homosexuals are "broken" and require "corrective therapy". It also details how the Powers That Be in Exeter College have dismissed opposition to the conference as an "attack" and an "unreasonable outburst".

I do not believe that Exeter College is an inherently homophobic institution. It has a number of gay students and fellows. However, the passive acceptance of this homophobic organisation does throw the reputation of the College into doubt.

Just posting the links here for discussion.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

There have been complaints from students and staff at Exeter, who unfortunately have little control over central management. I asked a few Exonians about it and got these responses:

"Hey up- perfectly legit concern, but not one to worry about. Effectively these people booked the college for a conference. previously Exeter had no vetting procedure for this sort of thing, and even if it did it would not have helped as the Christian Concern booked under a different name (the adams foundation or something- I can't remember. Effectively the name of the specific conference they wanted to hold) The college has no support for homophobia, or indeed, any discrimination.The college is also now in a position where it would do more damage to break the contract than uphold it. moreover, as the college with one of the largest LGBT undergraduate populations, the article is what one might call of 'tenuous reliablility' at best."

"We do welcome homophobes. We are an exceptionally homophobic college, given that we have one of the highest proportions of lgbt staff, fellows and students, two lgbt dinners (this year), an lgbt bar manager, two lgbt fellows and two lgbt reps (most colleges have only one).

Not only is this article inaccurate, it misunderstands the fact that the process for booking events at Oxford colleges has never been vetted in any way and that allowing this group to use our premises does not mean we endorse their views. To all lgbt freshers next year, look forward to a really friendly community, and learn never to take the Oxstu as gospel truth."

(The second one was written by an LGBT rep.)

These aren't necessarily my views - I can see the arguments on both sides, but just thought it might be interesting to post them :smile: I think the problem is that, like they said, the procedure has never really been vetted. The group actually booked under a different name and there have been incidents of organisations with questionable views (eg YBO) booking into conferences at other colleges.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by la-dauphine
There have been complaints from students and staff at Exeter, who unfortunately have little control over central management. I asked a few Exonians about it and got these responses:

"Hey up- perfectly legit concern, but not one to worry about. Effectively these people booked the college for a conference. previously Exeter had no vetting procedure for this sort of thing, and even if it did it would not have helped as the Christian Concern booked under a different name (the adams foundation or something- I can't remember. Effectively the name of the specific conference they wanted to hold) The college has no support for homophobia, or indeed, any discrimination.The college is also now in a position where it would do more damage to break the contract than uphold it. moreover, as the college with one of the largest LGBT undergraduate populations, the article is what one might call of 'tenuous reliablility' at best."

"We do welcome homophobes. We are an exceptionally homophobic college, given that we have one of the highest proportions of lgbt staff, fellows and students, two lgbt dinners (this year), an lgbt bar manager, two lgbt fellows and two lgbt reps (most colleges have only one).

Not only is this article inaccurate, it misunderstands the fact that the process for booking events at Oxford colleges has never been vetted in any way and that allowing this group to use our premises does not mean we endorse their views. To all lgbt freshers next year, look forward to a really friendly community, and learn never to take the Oxstu as gospel truth."

(The second one was written by an LGBT rep.)

These aren't necessarily my views - I can see the arguments on both sides, but just thought it might be interesting to post them :smile: I think the problem is that, like they said, the procedure has never really been vetted. The group actually booked under a different name and there have been incidents of organisations with questionable views (eg YBO) booking into conferences at other colleges.

Thanks for the response. I think what your friends say are right, but I also think they've missed the point.

I don't think anyone in Oxford does think Exeter is a homophobic College. It's more the impression that it gives off, particularly to the many applicants that have read about this. They often also conflate the University with the Colleges, because as we know, those not familiar with the University can become very confused about how it works. I was just concerned that giving a platform to this group might send out the wrong impression. After all, applicants are unlikely to know the diversity statistics for the College Fellowship.
Reply 3
Any organisation preaching religious orthodoxy such as Islam and Christianity is by definition a homophobic organisation...
I would have thought an Oxford student would understand words better than this.

Let's be honest. "Homophobia" = fear of homosexuals.
What is wrong with being scared of (read as: apprehensive towards) that which you disagree with? Do you want everyone to just paste on a happy smile whilst they are subjected to things which they don't want to acknowledge?

I think that approach is worse than allowing "homophobia".

I wish people would stop trying to bring the world to some utopian happy medium that just isn't going to work unless we all have our individual opinions/spirit erased. So what if an Oxford College allowed this event to take place? None of the others did.

You're nitpicking, like one of those people determined to find some way to prove that some action they disagree with is somehow 'offensive', thus making it impossible to argue in favour of said action due to the horrendously circular arguments used by all people who are "offended" by it.
Reply 5
You say 'Let's be honest', but I think it is generally accepted in British society that the common usage of 'homophobia' is not an irrational fear of homosexuals. The way it is now commonly used and accepted is as a way to describe acts or opinions which discriminate, prejudice, or otherwise render inferior those with a non-mainstream sexual orientation (homosexual, bisexual, etc).

I'm fully aware where the root of the word 'phobia' comes from, but language changes over time. I think most people would very much now agree that it is unrealistic to suggest homophobic literally always means 'fear of homosexuals'.

If you have ever read current affairs or watched the news (which I'm sure you have - not suggesting you haven't), you will note that the word is not usually used to describe an irrational fear homosexuals.

But this is besides the point and digressing from the original issue. I don't personally feel that strongly about it either way, I just had some concerns over the impact it might have among those considering applying (particularly those who might fall into the minority category itself). But if it doesn't impact on them, then of course that's great.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
isnt this just a perfectly legitimate example of freedom of speech? they can express their disdain for homosexuals just as you can express your views against them ... what's the issue?
Reply 7
I think the second article deals with that fairly well. Freedom of speech can and does have limits in our society and always has, for the safety of those who might suffer from it (not merely get offended by it).

Aside from this, they have freedom of speech in our society. It's more that Exeter has opted to give them a platform to do it. But as one of the other posters has suggested, it doesn't vet all applications for conference facilities, so it might have been a passive/unknowing acceptance, which does mitigate it to some extent.
Original post by tony_ron
Thanks for the response. I think what your friends say are right, but I also think they've missed the point.

I don't think anyone in Oxford does think Exeter is a homophobic College. It's more the impression that it gives off, particularly to the many applicants that have read about this. They often also conflate the University with the Colleges, because as we know, those not familiar with the University can become very confused about how it works. I was just concerned that giving a platform to this group might send out the wrong impression. After all, applicants are unlikely to know the diversity statistics for the College Fellowship.

There won't exactly be homophobic flags hung out on the front quad during the conference, nor will any of the participants be making speeches to the public :tongue: It's basically a place to stay and a meeting room will be provided. Unfortunately 'The Oxford Student' is known for blowing things out of proportion and has failed to mention the fact that Exeter is a very welcoming community with strong LGBT representation. That's more of a fault of the media than of Exeter itself. I'm kind of playing devil's advocate here - I wouldn't want to come across any of these intolerant people myself - but I feel that Exeter has been unfairly jumped on compared to other colleges, who have also hosted conferences for questionable organisations.
Reply 9
There won't exactly be homophobic flags hung out on the front quad during the conference, nor will any of the participants be making speeches to the public :tongue: It's basically a place to stay and a meeting room will be provided. Unfortunately 'The Oxford Student' is known for blowing things out of proportion and has failed to mention the fact that Exeter is a very welcoming community with strong LGBT representation. That's more of a fault of the media than of Exeter itself. I'm kind of playing devil's advocate here - I wouldn't want to come across any of these intolerant people myself - but I feel that Exeter has been unfairly jumped on compared to other colleges, who have also hosted conferences for questionable organisations.

I agree with you I think. I don't think Exeter itself is unwelcoming :smile:
Reply 10
I'm disappointed Exeter have been so welcoming of these people. You can make arguments about it being contractual obligation now, or that they can just change their name... yes they can, but that doesn't mean you can't ban that particular name from booking in the future. Would they accept a KKK conference on the basis of them being able to change their name? I hope not.

The reality is, this comes across as Exeter college seniority supporting this group, or at least, willing to tolerate homophobia as long as they get money for it.

Any implication that the wider student body is involved is, of course, unfounded.

Original post by cl_steele
isnt this just a perfectly legitimate example of freedom of speech? they can express their disdain for homosexuals just as you can express your views against them ... what's the issue?

The issue is that we don't want such a group in Oxford. We wouldn't host the KKK, and we shouldn't host them. They can practice their freedom of speech on the internet like the rest of us.

Original post by marcusfox
Any organisation preaching religious orthodoxy such as Islam and Christianity is by definition a homophobic organisation...

Then they should all be banned.
Original post by nexttime
I'm disappointed Exeter have been so welcoming of these people. You can make arguments about it being contractual obligation now, or that they can just change their name... yes they can, but that doesn't mean you can't ban that particular name from booking in the future. Would they accept a KKK conference on the basis of them being able to change their name? I hope not.

The reality is, this comes across as Exeter college seniority supporting this group, or at least, willing to tolerate homophobia as long as they get money for it.

Any implication that the wider student body is involved is, of course, unfounded.

The issue is that we don't want such a group in Oxford. We wouldn't host the KKK, and we shouldn't host them. They can practice their freedom of speech on the internet like the rest of us.

I don't think 'welcoming' is really the right word - they've allowed them to use their premises, and no doubt they'll be an atmosphere of hostility amongst students within the college during the conference anyway, given the reaction to the decision to allow them in. The KKK was violent/criminal and if they didn't kill a person for being black or supporting the civil rights movement they'd terrorise them and ruin their lives anyway. The members of this organisation are grossly misguided and homophobic, but they don't pose a threat towards LGBT students at Exeter or in Oxford as a whole. I would prefer it if Exeter refused to host this organisation - I think their views are disgusting - but sadly I don't think that will happen.
(edited 12 years ago)
ok, so what if the bnp wanted to host a conference?
Reply 13
I thought Oxford was the most gay friendly uni in the country?
Original post by Wave
I thought Oxford was the most gay friendly uni in the country?

Yes, bear in mind that Oxford still has a fantastic and welcoming LGBT community, regardless of this conference :smile:
Reply 15
I don't think 'welcoming' is really the right word - they've allowed them to use their premises, and no doubt they'll be an atmosphere of hostility amongst students within the college during the conference anyway, given the reaction to the decision to allow them in. The KKK was violent/criminal and if they didn't kill a person for being black or supporting the civil rights movement they'd terrorise them and ruin their lives anyway. The members of this organisation are grossly misguided and homophobic, but they don't pose a threat towards LGBT students at Exeter or in Oxford as a whole. I would prefer it if Exeter refused to host this organisation - I think their views are disgusting - but sadly I don't think that will happen.

Clearly there is a difference between the violent KKK and these guys. Personally, i would not draw the line jut on violence though - these guys would have members of the Oxford student body 'corrected' given the chance - i think that is not compatible with use of Oxford's facilities.

Maybe they will think twice before accpeting them in the future?
Original post by nexttime
Clearly there is a difference between the violent KKK and these guys. Personally, i would not draw the line jut on violence though - these guys would have members of the Oxford student body 'corrected' given the chance - i think that is not compatible with use of Oxford's facilities.

Maybe they will think twice before accpeting them in the future?

Agreed. They probably will, now they've realised how much scrutiny they're under. Then again, they might not want to 'back down' in the future...
Reply 17
It is interesting, however, that Oxford has an extremely positive equality policy, and puts a lot of their money towards it.

By letting the homophobes have their conference here, they are non-so-indirectly funding equality.
Homophones? What did homophones ever do to anyone? Piece to everyone here.
Original post by Schott
Some very interesting articles to read here. I particularly agree with the response article (the second link).

I am an Oxford graduate and very pro-Oxford. However, I am disappointed in Exeter College.

Having been employed in a good deal of access work encouraging applications to the University from disadvantaged, lower socio-economic, and minority groups, I do believe the actions of Exeter College are quite worrying. It has the potential to discourage applications, if not from the University, at least from Exeter College - especially if the applicant is concerned about how inclusive and welcoming their future university appears to be.

http://oxfordstudent.com/2012/02/15/exeter-welcomes-homophobes/

http://oxfordstudent.com/2012/02/16/concerned-about-christians/ (Deals with the counter argument to 'freedom of speech' very well.)

The articles explain how the organisation in question believes homosexuals are "broken" and require "corrective therapy". It also details how the Powers That Be in Exeter College have dismissed opposition to the conference as an "attack" and an "unreasonable outburst".

I do not believe that Exeter College is an inherently homophobic institution. It has a number of gay students and fellows. However, the passive acceptance of this homophobic organisation does throw the reputation of the College into doubt.

Just posting the links here for discussion.

Whatever happened to free speech? No doubt loads of do-gooders will be protesting outside the college when the conference is ongoing...

Let people hold whatever views they like: poorly evidenced and hateful ones will stand for themselves. If people want to believe that gays should be "corrected", they are welcome to believe that. It's not like they're the KKK running around and preaching hate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending