The Student Room Group

How far away is your uni from your hometown?

Scroll to see replies

Uni is in Stoke, originally from London.

It takes 1 1/2 hours by Virgin Trains, and is usually just under £40 (with Student Railcard discount). But with London Midlands it's around £20 or less however it takes twice the time (3 hours).
Reply 81
3000 miles...live in cyprus and going to uni in loughborough.

Train and then plane to cyprus

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 82
About 250 miles. Have to take a train from Guildford to London (about 30-45mins), tube to St. Pancras and then the whole Eurostar hassle. That's another 2 hours. When I get to Brussels it's another hour on the train. Good thing I live only a block away from the station. It's only a 5 min walk :smile:
With all the waiting around and formalities it's a good 5-6 hours. Not that bad all in all but expensive enough to only go for the holidays.
Dundee is about 160 miles north of my home town. It takes about 3 and a half hours if we drive, but if I get the bus it's closer to 5 because I need to hang around in Glasgow for a while.
about 97 miles by road. Which is about an 1 hour 45 minutes away.
like 20 minutes on the train
I plan on going to Birmingham (hopefully!) so London to Birmingham is a good 120+ miles, fun times with Virgin Trains ahead I guess!!
Reply 87
Like 5 hours by plane. :smile:
Reply 88
About 4500 miles or an 8 - 9 hour plane flight.
Reply 89
Original post by Emelynaki
Like 5 hours by plane. :smile:

5 hours in which direction? I'm also 5,
In Cyprus :tongue:

120 miles. Just far enough IMO :smile:
Reply 91
Original post by ru7lan
5 hours in which direction? I'm also 5,
In Cyprus :tongue:

from Athens to Glasgow. :smile:
2 1/2 hours by car or train, but costs a bomb (about £40 with a railcard). I don't go home often but don't regret it - the chance was there to go somewhere pretty different from where I'd grown up and I'm glad I took it.
About 100 miles :biggrin:
Reply 94
About 150 miles I believe, about a 7 hour journey if you take the car and ferry. When I go home for half term and shorter visits I fly which takes about 5 hours door to door :smile: I only go home every 6 weeks or so, but in all honesty I wouldn't have it any other way! I get the full rein when it comes to gaining independence and having my own space, but I know that my next visit home won't be too far away :biggrin:
Reply 95
about 5 hours by car, 4.5 hours by train - London to Durham! (270 miles)

to be honest one of my main uni selection criteria was it had to be 3 hours + from home!

£18.60 single on the train if booked very carefully, going up to £100 :eek: (with railcard, i'd die without mine!)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 96
40 minutes on the train :wink:
If I get into my firm I'll be around 400 miles away (coming from NI, hoping to go to Anglia Ruskin in Cambridge).
If I get into my insurance, it'll be more like 150 (Liverpool).

Won't be able to go home all that often, but whatever.
1 and a half hours in the car and roughly the same on the train including changes; although there's a 15min walk from campus to Loughborough station which can make it slightly longer than driving. Albeit thats travelling on a Sunday when it's generally quiet.

Reply 99
About an hour away along the M6. It's a good distance imo - far enough away to feel independent, close enough to have the parents visit for the day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending