The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by crazylemon
Are you on Bsc?

I have been missing it for much of the year. Looking forward to getting back to it in june!

Yeah, and for most of my year out I've preferred what I've been doing to medicine.

June? You guys start early.

Original post by Isometrix
Yep. But the only thing I won't miss are the 8.30am starts *shudder*

That is true. Going from, like, one uncomfortable alarm per week back to a full timetable will be a shock.
Reply 5981
So fifth and sixth years at Imperial are getting iPad minis next year. Only 4 years to go until I get one!
Original post by iMed
So fifth and sixth years at Imperial are getting iPad minis next year. Only 4 years to go until I get one!

Why? Just for the ****s and gigs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iMed

WTF for? So they can all get stolen from the wards on placements?
For learnding playing Angry Birds in clinic

:tongue:

Anyone want a free sub? The sub system is changing and I have a ton of credits to get rid of before it happens.
Was there ever a public explanation as to what happened over the SJT + job allocation faff btw?
Original post by carcinoma
Why? Just for the ****s and gigs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

So they can put 'free iPad' in the prospectus and have all the applicants salivating :tongue: a bit like 'early clinical experience'.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
:tongue:

Anyone want a free sub? The sub system is changing and I have a ton of credits to get rid of before it happens.

I'll have some pretty please?

If it's still available :tongue:
For learnding

I'm only half joking - at one of my previous hospitals, they bought a bunch of iPads for the wards to use as a new system for recording obs, looking up bloods etc on the ward round and so on. They lasted less than a week before they all walked.
Original post by nexttime
Was there ever a public explanation as to what happened over the SJT + job allocation faff btw?

I read the other day that they were blaming it on creases in the papers, and "crummy marks" made by the students on the optical mark sheets.

Medical schools ended up marking all of their students' papers manually.

Apparently it won't happen again, and if it does the BMA are pushing for a set procedure to be followed in terms of offering recompense to those who lose out financially from it.
Original post by Helenia
I'm only half joking - at one of my previous hospitals, they bought a bunch of iPads for the wards to use as a new system for recording obs, looking up bloods etc on the ward round and so on. They lasted less than a week before they all walked.

What, seriously? They all disappeared? That's pretty awful... They've had them on JR med wards for a while now and either they don't get stolen or they're continually replaced.

Giving them to med students seems pretty crazy though - someone was boasting they had theirs on fb just now and i couldn't believe it!
What, seriously? They all disappeared? That's pretty awful... They've had them on JR med wards for a while now and either they don't get stolen or they're continually replaced.

Giving them to med students seems pretty crazy though - someone was boasting they had theirs on fb just now and i couldn't believe it!

Lol, Oxford =/= Croydon.

They replaced them with ones in hefty plastic cases, so they weren't obviously iPads, and reprogrammed them so they wouldn't work outside hospital grounds - those ones stuck around. From my experience as a med student and never having a locker or anywhere to securely leave things on placement, having a shiny toy doesn't seem very safe to me.

Think Guy's is trying to get tablets to all students. But think they said it's nowhere near ready enough for distribution - which means my year won't get it :frown:
Original post by clarusblue
I read the other day that they were blaming it on creases in the papers, and "crummy marks" made by the students on the optical mark sheets.

Medical schools ended up marking all of their students' papers manually.

Apparently it won't happen again, and if it does the BMA are pushing for a set procedure to be followed in terms of offering recompense to those who lose out financially from it.

I was asking because we were given a talk on applications and SJTs etc yesterday and the lecturer explained what had happened.

It was only picked up because it was reported to Southampton that one of their students was one of only a handful nationally to have done so badly on the SJT they were failing them completely. They wouldn't be (aren't being...) offering them an FY1 placement at all. Southampton contacted them back saying that this was one of their best students and there must be some mistake. On manual check, it was found to be a creased paper as you say, and other errors with machine sensitivity on other papers.

Its good that it got picked up i guess! I do find it amusing that some people give answers on the SJT so bad that they're considered too dangerous to be F1s. :eek:
Original post by hslakaal
Think Guy's is trying to get tablets to all students. But think they said it's nowhere near ready enough for distribution - which means my year won't get it :frown:

Are they? They probably haven't told us as we'll be long gone and bitter by the time it happens.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mushi_master
Are they? They probably haven't told us as we'll be long gone and bitter by the time it happens.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Despo told us at the beginnig of the year that they want to, but student rep just heard that it's gonna take a while, and that even us (1st yr) won't get it... :confused:

To be honest, I don't see it being useful unless King's goes on a spending spree and gets some kind of textbook deal on Inkling or something.
(edited 10 years ago)
Despo told us at the beginnig of the year that they want to, but student rep just heard that it's gonna take a while, and that even us (1st yr) won't get it... :confused:

To be honest, I don't see it being useful unless King's goes on a spending spree and gets some kind of textbook deal on Inkling or something.

Perhaps a case of 'oh crap, gimpers are doing this we'd better do it too'. Can't see the point, but I'd love a free iPad, I'd never pay for one that's for sure!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Perhaps a case of 'oh crap, gimpers are doing this we'd better do it too'. Can't see the point, but I'd love a free iPad, I'd never pay for one that's for sure!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd hate to get one - only because I've already got a tablet :tongue:

(maybe they could offer a choice? :laugh: )
I'd hate to get one - only because I've already got a tablet :tongue:

(maybe they could offer a choice? :laugh: )

Ebay time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:rofl:

iPad with KCL Logo. Otherwise new. £400.

Latest

Trending

Trending