The Student Room Group

CELTA/ certTESOL/ Teaching English as a Foreign Language

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sarang_assa
No probs! :biggrin: I'm actually doing my primary PGCE at the moment, and teach TEFL at summer school in the summer. The eventual aim is to teach primary at international schools, more job security and better pay in the long run I hope!

Hey :smile: Do you know if you have to be a recent graduate to go on the EPIK scheme? I also want to be a primary school teacher and travel abroad, but I thought it might be better to get my PGCE + NQT year under my belt before I go, cos presumably being a qualified teacher can only add to my appeal, and it'll save the stress of trying to apply for a PGCE whilst I'm abroad.
Reply 261
I am a mature student looking to retrain and have been looking at TEFL with a view to working in the UK for 5-8 years and then taking the qualification/experience with me around the world. I'm trying to find out more about job opportunities in the UK. I live near one of the major hubs for TEFL here in the UK, where there are many Language Schools. However I have no idea how likely I am to get work there, armed only with my CELTA, a first degree and a long career break whilst bringing up a family. Are there any mature students out there with experience of this? Is my best bet to be recruited for short-contract summer camps, and if so, is there a non-residential option? Also, if I'm most likely to gain relevant experience during the summer, is there an ideal time to take the CELTA? Is there, in fact, a disadvantage to taking the qualification in, say, September if it can't be practically applied until June? Grateful for any advice/thoughts. Many thanks.
Reply 262
Can someone tell me what teaching qualification I need to teach English in Asia? Specifically, Korea, Japan or Hong Kong? or even Taiwain actually.
Original post by ddtown
Can someone tell me what teaching qualification I need to teach English in Asia? Specifically, Korea, Japan or Hong Kong? or even Taiwain actually.

Korea, China - nothing

Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan - a TEFL certificate, online will do just fine.
Reply 264
Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
Korea, China - nothing

Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan - a TEFL certificate, online will do just fine.

What exactly does an online/physical TEFL consist of? What do you have to do to get the qualification? Is it just like doing an A-level where you have essays and exams?
Original post by ddtown
What exactly does an online/physical TEFL consist of? What do you have to do to get the qualification? Is it just like doing an A-level where you have essays and exams?

http://www.i-to-i.com/

I have one from this company. You study the material they give you then complete a multiple-choice questionnaire for each section. For each module there are also two essays you must complete (they're usually very short). It's all done online. I did the 120 hour course but it probably only took me half of that time.

The study work they provide can be helpful if you haven't already taught English as a foreign language but the qualification itself is essentially meaningless. It's just that most schools in Japan and Taiwan insist that you have one I'm afraid.
Original post by ddtown

Just to say - try to avoid doing any TEFL course that is purely online. They're not taken seriously at all and many places in Japan and South Korea won't accept them. If you do a non-CELTA/Trinity course, then make sure that it has actual observed teaching practice as part of it. This practical element, plus the feedback you get afterwards, is incredibly useful!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent
Just to say - try to avoid doing any TEFL course that is purely online. They're not taken seriously at all and many places in Japan and South Korea won't accept them. If you do a non-CELTA/Trinity course, then make sure that it has actual observed teaching practice as part of it. This practical element, plus the feedback you get afterwards, is incredibly useful!

That's not true! You barely need a degree to teach in South Korea.
That's not true! You barely need a degree to teach in South Korea.

Really? I always got the impression that South Korea from different from China in that respect. Even so, how will you know you'll be able to teach a class in 'real life' if in training you've never actually stood up in front of a class and taught, and been given feedback and the chance to improve further in the following practical session? It really is immensely valuable. Even if it's easy to find places in Asia that will accept you with a purely online certificate or none at all, I really would advise doing a certificate with a practical part to it for your own benefit. I wouldn't want to fly halfway across the world and then panic because I'm about to teach my first class and my training had been entirely theoretical.
Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent
Really? I always got the impression that South Korea from different from China in that respect. Even so, how will you know you'll be able to teach a class in 'real life' if in training you've never actually stood up in front of a class and taught, and been given feedback and the chance to improve further in the following practical session? It really is immensely valuable. Even if it's easy to find places in Asia that will accept you with a purely online certificate or none at all, I really would advise doing a certificate with a practical part to it for your own benefit. I wouldn't want to fly halfway across the world and then panic because I'm about to teach my first class and my training had been entirely theoretical.

South Korea is more lax about qualifications/experience than China is. That's fair enough but if you don't intend to make a career out of TEFL then a CELTA is a big expense to pay just for a year or two. Most schools offer training/observations for at least 2 weeks prior to start date so you're not completely thrown in at the deep end and to be honest, if it's at an Asian training school where he's looking to teach it's really not that difficult a job.
South Korea is more lax about qualifications/experience than China is. That's fair enough but if you don't intend to make a career out of TEFL then a CELTA is a big expense to pay just for a year or two. Most schools offer training/observations for at least 2 weeks prior to start date so you're not completely thrown in at the deep end and to be honest, if it's at an Asian training school where he's looking to teach it's really not that difficult a job.

Yeah, if you only want to teach for a year or two then it wouldn't really matter, but if you did want to make a career out of EFL then a purely online certificate wouldn't be much use at all.

I wasn't saying that you'd have to do a CELTA or Trinity course, by the way - 120 hour TEFL certificates that are mostly online but do have a practical teaching element also seem quite widely accepted.
Reply 271
As the above posters said, it all depends on whether you see TEFL as a career or you just want to do it for a year. If the latter, an online course will probably be enough and the teaching in Korea is not difficult anyway. You will have a partner Korean teacher at a private school or an assistant if you work in a public school to help you out and their style of teaching is a lot of repetition, rote learning, exams etc.

However, if you want to make a career out of TEFL, the CELTA is the more respected option and will give you practical experience. Also, regarding length of training/observations, maybe I've been unlucky but I've worked in two different schools so far and one gave me two days of training and the other one gave me three so I was thrown in the deep end.
Would someone be kind enough to upload some example lesson notes from the CELTA course?

Also do the tutors co through the CELTA trainee book, or is that more for reference/ self study?

Thanks
the tutors have a syllabus to stick to which is available to download from Cambridge's website. They don't use course books but build their input sessions around the syllabus. I don't have to hand my CELTA notes, but the new CUP CELTA book covers most, if not all aspects.
Original post by dfw
Hi there! I finished my CELTA with IH a few months ago so happy to help if anyone has any questions :smile:

Well done dfw congratulations.

Re: CELTA;

I am interested in teaching EFL and after my initial research, CELTA appears to be the best course, (as opposed to TEFL/TESOL etc). Most prospective employers seem to ask for CELTA qualified people (and often a degree). I think because it's accredited by Cambridge Uni CELTA is internationally respected. I understand the other dcourse is awarded by Trinity College, (but more employers appear to be interested in the CELTA qualification).

But all these courses appear to be privately funded. I have contacted the two main schools in Manchester (International School of Enlish and The Academy of English), and none of them accept students on the 24+ Advanced Loan Scheme. Would have to take out a private loan or Professional Career Loan, (which inevitably means more debt). Even the few colleges that offer CELTA state that it is not available on the 24+ Advanced Loan Scheme. How can relativley poor students hope to study and better ourselves and careers when we do not have the funds available in the first place? We are not wealthy people or fortunate enough to have the bank of Mum and Dad. I am currently in touch with the BSA and British Council, and Student Finance England.

My other main concern would be working abroad. Ideally, once CELTA-qualified, I would like to work in France/Germany and Austria. There appears to be numerous jobs advertised on the TEFL Jobsite. But I would imagine people in France/Germany/Austria already have a good grasp of the English language and grammer etc. So are there jobs really available in these countries or not?

Thank you.
I am in the process of preparing my CELTA application form and task answers! Am doing the part time course from January to March as it will replace my TEFL module in my degree.

I got a book on my Kindle written by CELTA tutors which follows 4 fictional characters throughout the CELTA course, which has just fuelled my excitement even more :h:
Original post by OSCARNOVAK
Well done dfw congratulations.

Re: CELTA;

I am interested in teaching EFL and after my initial research, CELTA appears to be the best course, (as opposed to TEFL/TESOL etc). Most prospective employers seem to ask for CELTA qualified people (and often a degree). I think because it's accredited by Cambridge Uni CELTA is internationally respected. I understand the other dcourse is awarded by Trinity College, (but more employers appear to be interested in the CELTA qualification).

But all these courses appear to be privately funded. I have contacted the two main schools in Manchester (International School of Enlish and The Academy of English), and none of them accept students on the 24+ Advanced Loan Scheme. Would have to take out a private loan or Professional Career Loan, (which inevitably means more debt). Even the few colleges that offer CELTA state that it is not available on the 24+ Advanced Loan Scheme. How can relativley poor students hope to study and better ourselves and careers when we do not have the funds available in the first place? We are not wealthy people or fortunate enough to have the bank of Mum and Dad. I am currently in touch with the BSA and British Council, and Student Finance England.

My other main concern would be working abroad. Ideally, once CELTA-qualified, I would like to work in France/Germany and Austria. There appears to be numerous jobs advertised on the TEFL Jobsite. But I would imagine people in France/Germany/Austria already have a good grasp of the English language and grammer etc. So are there jobs really available in these countries or not?

Thank you.

Hi. Regarding the jobs in France/Germany/Austria, they do exist but you might have to contact schools that are not advertising so they can keep your CV or International House maybe. I think kids start learning English quite young there so there is a demand for English teachers but it mostly goes on in the state schools so they want a PGCE or equivalent to be a school teacher. I could be wrong!

Also, about the funding for the CELTA, the only thing you can do is save unfortunately. I am not a particularly wealthy person but I managed to pay for it by working part time all through uni and I spent most of the money I had left on the CELTA although you earn it back. I know it feels like a lot of money for 4 weeks though.

Good luck!
Reply 277
Hi,

I have very recently turned 28, and I feel I’m a bit of a rut with work and other things. I have always liked the idea of teaching abroad but have never fully committed myself to it. I now really want to go through with it. I have a 2:1 undergraduate degree in Politics & International Relations.

A few questions: (and bear in mind I have read through pretty much every page of this thread)

Should I go for the CELTA or TESOL? I think I would prefer teaching kids, although adults won't be an issue either. In light of this, should I go for one or the other? I am inclined to go with the CELTA, because I feel it may be slightly more recognised internationally.

I am temping at the moment in an admin role, and only need to give one weeks’ notice. I also have good savings (a tad under 30k), so affording the course isn't an issue, but I just want to pick the right one. From what I have read, most countries academic years start at the end of September. Have I left it too late for this? I really just want to start as soon as possible and see this is an opportunity for a career change.

I am open to working in any part of the world (Africa doesn't interest me however), but I have a preference for Spain or South America because I already have elementary Spanish which I would love to further develop. I have travelled to South America previously, and was there for a little over three months, and volunteered (unrelated to teaching). What are the opportunities like in Spain/Latin America for CELTA/TESOL holders without prior teaching experience? I am not so fussed about making money, as long as my outgoings don't exceed what I'm bringing in.

Also would it be beneficial for me trying to study for the CELTA/TESOL in Spain, rather than in London (where I currently reside)?

Any advice would be appreciated, and this thread has been invaluable already in providing information.
I didn't do TESOL so it's hard to comment but Calidad, I found this, which might help although they seem quite similar from looking at this page.
http://www.stgiles-international.com/teacher-training-at-stgiles/celta-or-tesol

Although most jobs start in Sep/Oct they hire right up until these months and beyond as some people will leave for whatever reason or schools might expand so it's never too late!

I think it would be easier to find a job in Spain rather than in Latin America just because they advertise more online and I always see vacancies there. You don't need a visa and it's closer so a less 'risky' option. For example, there are 96 job listings under Spain on http://www.tefl.com/jobs/search.html right now and I see few for Latin America on other pages as well. I'm sure they exist but it's easier to get a job there by just going and looking while you're there on a tourist visa and convert it later. This is the impression I got :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
- Do some of the Celta courses offer more help than others in finding jobs afterwards?
- It is common to find 6 month contracts for teaching abroad?
- Which countries commonly cover travel costs / accommodation etc?
- Are there any other sites as well as tefl and Dave's esl cafe which are good for finding jobs?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending