The Student Room Group

Emergency Stop

I was just wondering how many of you were asked to do an emergency stop during your driving test?
So far, I've actually not heard of anyone that's been told to do an E.S - is it not very likely to be asked then? :dontknow:

EDIT: I had my test a few days ago and wasn't asked to do it. Thanks for all the feedback! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by SimpleGirl
I was just wondering how many of you were asked to do an emergency stop during your driving test?

So far, I've actually not heard of anyone that's been told to do an E.S - is it not very likely to be asked then? :dontknow:

I did it, I thought it was mandatory.
I know people who have, my best friend being one. Youve got a 1 in 3 chance apparently.
i passed on my second attempt - and both times i was asked to perform an emergency stop.
Reply 4

Even if you are not required to do this in your test, think of how important it will be when you are out on the road by yourself once you pass!

The emergency stop is the manoeuvre, for lack of a better word, that can save lives.

Good luck for your test! :smile:
No, didn't get asked and due to a cock up with my lessons I had never actually practiced one.
Examiners try to do 1 in every 3.

Incidentally I had a pupil going for his second test (first with me :smile:) and he had previously been a tester for ABS. On his first test he was asked to do an emergency stop and nearly put the examiner through the windscreen! (This wasn't the reason he failed...)

He had the same examiner on the second test and, unsurprisingly, was not asked to perform an emergency stop... :biggrin:
Original post by dslc

The emergency stop is the manoeuvre, for lack of a better word, that can save lives.

I've never understood why they only ask 1 in 3 people to do it. It's true that it can save lives so surely everyone should be made to prove they are capable of stopping safely in an emergency?

Also is it right that if you fail to perform the emergency stop correctly then you'll receive a major, thus failing your test overall? Therefore meaning those that are asked to do it have a higher chance of failing than those who aren't?

I haven't been asked to do one yet but I've practised them loads of times so if I do get one on my next test, I'm confident I'll nail it.
I did one on my test. :smile:

I think the event is a random 1 in 3 chance. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by amyshamblesxx
I've never understood why they only ask 1 in 3 people to do it.
Time management. When the test was extended in 1999 to include longer routes and more "efficient" testing of manoeuvres, it was decided that doing the emergency stop on every test was a time sink and should be optional. The "1 in 3" occasions it is still tested is to ensure it is still being taught. Unfortunately, as one poster already mentioned, it isn't always. The other consideration for the frequency of emergency stops conducted is a health and safety matter as a lot of examiners were suffering from bad necks and backs from being jolted around 8 times a day - and not just from emergency stops either.

Also is it right that if you fail to perform the emergency stop correctly then you'll receive a major, thus failing your test overall?
Like every other test requirement, an assessment is made. There may be no fault at all, an insignificant fault not worthy of marking, a recordable driver fault, a serious fault or a dangerous fault. So yes, it's possible to fail on it but in reality it doesn't happen often.
Reply 10
I had to do emergency stop during my test...really wasn't expecting it lol and it's the one manoeuvre I hate
Reply 11
lol, thanks for all the feedback guys.

I had my test last Monday and wasn't asked to do emergency stop.

Passed with one minor :biggrin:

Thanks again!

I did, it's simple enough.
Don't forget that it isn't always safe to perform one, depending on the other cars around. I know this from when I was told to practise them - had to abort several attempts when cars were behind!
1 test out of every 3 will incorporate the emergency stop. Mine was one of them.
Reply 15
Original post by *Interrobang*
Don't forget that it isn't always safe to perform one, depending on the other cars around. I know this from when I was told to practise them - had to abort several attempts when cars were behind!

'It isn't always safe to perform an emergency stop' - brilliant :biggrin: tell that to the child you run over at 40mph because there was a car behind you. When performing an emergency stop you don't check what's around you before applying the brakes.
Original post by James82
'It isn't always safe to perform an emergency stop' - brilliant :biggrin: tell that to the child you run over at 40mph because there was a car behind you. When performing an emergency stop you don't check what's around you before applying the brakes.

I think what they mean is the examiner won't ask you to perform one if there is a car right behind you.
My instructor said it doesn't matter if you stall the car, the main reason is that you stop. He said this to help me practise, but on the real test will it still be classed as a good stop if you stall the car (so long as it stops)?
Original post by Runninground
My instructor said it doesn't matter if you stall the car, the main reason is that you stop. He said this to help me practise, but on the real test will it still be classed as a good stop if you stall the car (so long as it stops)?

http://www.uksbestdrivingschools.co.uk/emergency-stop-made-easy
What the examiner will be looking for.

The examiner will want you to react quickly, promptly and stop the car under full control, no skidding if you do skid regain control quickly.

The car should come to a halt with the engine running although not necessarily a fail if you stall, (if you do stall, secure the car and restart the engine).

Once you have stopped the vehicle apply the parking brake and check your mirrors so as to be aware of what is going on behind you, (you may need to put a signal on if another vehicle appears after you have stopped your car). Sit and wait for your next instruction from the examiner.

I would definitely try to practise it so that you can do it without stalling, but it seems that stalling during the activity is not an instant fail, so try not to worry aobut it. :smile:
Original post by affinity89
I would definitely try to practise it so that you can do it without stalling, but it seems that stalling during the activity is not an instant fail, so try not to worry aobut it. :smile:

Yeah, I'll practise it, but I was just checking :biggrin:

It says about skidding- if the car has ABS it is unlikely that you will skid isn't it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending