The Student Room Group

Why don't women lift?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Arekkusu
A skinny or fat man hasn't put any effort in. So muscles are seen as desirable. But a skinny woman has had to put effort in, because women have more fat generally.

Still, for women being skinny is easier than getting muscles. Also muscles are already taken as a man's thing. So therefore being skinny is a badge of honour for their gender.

The ideal woman does have toned muscles, and high energy for the bedroom, but I think the one you've posted is a bit too much. There comes a point when muscles deform the female form and make it somewhat grotesque, I think for the majority of men

Plenty of women are skinny/slim with no effort. They just eat sensibly and/or don't lead completely sedentary lifestyles.

Watch documentaries about the 1940s, 1950s, 1960s etc. These women are slim and lived "normal" lives. How? Life was tougher in those days, you'd do more physical work (for example, housework back then was physically harder), there were no ready meals etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by MrHappy_J
why does it bother you so much? lifting is just one of those things that are seen as being "male" unfortunately, like football or...well i cant think of another example. I think what you're really asking in this thread is "why don't more women look like this *cue photos*?" Then you accuse people of being too easily influenced by the media. Really?

what id like to know is why so many men get ripped. it's really not attractive.

and clearly women do lift, as it happens, so the point of this thread is rather lost :rolleyes:

No need to get all touchy and defensive just because you don't lift. Do whatever the **** you wanna do. :smile:
Reply 62
why does it bother you so much? lifting is just one of those things that are seen as being "male" unfortunately, like football or...well i cant think of another example. I think what you're really asking in this thread is "why don't more women look like this *cue photos*?" Then you accuse people of being too easily influenced by the media. Really?

what id like to know is why so many men get ripped. it's really not attractive.

and clearly women do lift, as it happens, so the point of this thread is rather lost :rolleyes:

they do it for the same reason women do crash diets etc, peer pressure and media pressure, which are the same thing really. Men do do a lot of crap to impress women but most of it is garnered from what their mates think women like, not real women. Women do the same thing but are probably more open to the idea of "doing it for themselves" - doing it for other women, that is.
Original post by Arekkusu
they do it for the same reason women do crash diets etc, peer pressure and media pressure, which are the same thing really. Men do do a lot of crap to impress women but most of it is garnered from what their mates think women like, not real women. Women do the same thing but are probably more open to the idea of "doing it for themselves" - doing it for other women, that is.

That makes sense I guess, but why does "doing it for themselves"="doing it for other women"? The only reason I'd go to a gym would be for my own health, I've learned not to give a monkey's about what other women think of me.

Some of the overly ripped guys look like Terminator imo :biggrin: That's what they remind me of anyway. Handy if I wanted to be protected from an attack or something but attractive? No.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 64
That makes sense I guess, but why does "doing it for themselves"="doing it for other women"? The only reason I'd go to a gym would be for my own health, I've learned not to give a monkey's about what other women think of me.

Some of the overly ripped guys look like Terminator imo :biggrin: That's what they remind me of anyway. Handy if I wanted to be protected from an attack or something but attractive? No.

Well there's doing it to get healthy and then there's obsessing over your weight and crash dieting and such which I would argue is caused by social pressure. I do think women in general are probs more susceptible to this than us lot, to be fair.
Reply 65
Just so you know ladies, lifting makes you MASSIVE, masculine looking and unfeminine. Just like the specimen below:

Not srs. Women should lift!
Reply 66
It is genuinely just because the image of the skinny woman is held up as the goal and beautiful and women who haven't looked into lifting won't have been exposed to the pictures of beautiful women who lift. It's as simple as that.

If all you go to the gym for is some cardio, you won't know much of anything about the fact that women can and do lift. It's a pretty sexist state of affairs that women with good functional strength (and therefore some definition in their arms etc) are generally seen as no longer looking 'feminine'. A friend at uni who did muay thai even said that any hint of ab muscle was ugly. How she managed to avoid gaining any muscle while doing muay thai I have no idea. Maybe she was a massive slacker or maybe she starved herself. I do recall only ever seeing her eat toast and yoghurts. I was made to feel like a weirdo for liking the (very slight) ab definition on Sarah Jessica Parker in an episode of Sex and the City (yes my uni experience was ****ing dreadful, this is the kind of **** that was always on TV in my house).
Reply 67
Original post by HSG1992
I lol'd. If you want low intensity cardio, go find a hill and roll down it. HIIT is the dog's *******s.

This made me giggle. :teehee:
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo

Thats my point proven. Take away the boobs and its an mans body.
Reply 69
Original post by Alexis58
And generally, wanting to lose weight is part of a girl's hard drive in that brain of ours.

I totally disagree. No-one who isn't hampered in their day-to-day life by huge amounts of excess flab feels the need to lose weight until someone makes them think they should. Be that boys, other girls, or (usually) the media.
all the woman in those picks look horrible
Original post by Arturo Bandini
tbf I think you just dun proved their point

I wouldn't say she is particularly masculine, maybe in comparison to Justin Bieber :dontknow:
Reply 72
Original post by Dark Horse
Face it...cardio is low stress, easy and it's easy to convince yourself that you're actually doing something and that one day you will "get there".

Only if you want it to be. My cardio workouts on the rower are like 10000x more stressful than when I'm doing weights. I look forward to my weights days...
Original post by Nichrome
Only if you want it to be. My cardio workouts on the rower are like 10000x more stressful than when I'm doing weights. I look forward to my weights days...

lift more weight then
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
I wouldn't say she is particularly masculine, maybe in comparison to Justin Bieber :dontknow:

it's quite ugly though. Most guys do not want girls who look like that
Reply 75
The only thing wrong with her is her arms really.
Original post by BKS
Lack of relevant education. I swear PE in schools should include this sort of thing. It's more useful to know what to do to improve your body image healthily than it is to know the rules of hockey

I think you're onto something here. Surely the main thing that puts people off exercise for life is being bad at sports at school?

Raw strength aside, one cannot be good or bad at lifting weights. All pupils would have the same technical ability level.
Reply 77
Original post by Barden
Surely the main thing that puts people off exercise for life is being bad at sports at school?

I don't think it's just that. I think the whole experience of PE is off putting to your average 14 year old and I think that negativity gets transferred to exercise and sport in general. A lot of it is to do with teen self consciousness- whether that be getting changed, smelling, not being good at sport, not wanting to try incase the do something embarrassing ect. I don't know the solution but there's got to be ways of making it better
Reply 78
Original post by Nichrome

You're doing it wrong, brah.
I think the real reason why women don't lift is because people think that having a bit of muscle=too manly and bulky. From someone who lifts heavy and have lost loads of weight I loved the way lifting has transformed my body (see my pics below).

Me Before:
PIC DELETED

Me Now
PIC DELETED

Unfortunately some women (and men) would look at me and think I am too bulky e.t.c despite having a BMI of 20 (5ft 10 and weigh 10st 10lbs) and I am a size 6 on top and 10 on bottom. Most would rather be 'curvy' :rolleyes:. However I think a woman looks great with a bit of muscle and I'm not prepared to put down the weights :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest