The Student Room Group

Why do people get a degree in something with low prospects...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by WelshBluebird
1 - But it isn't. That is the point. University is about learning, education and academia. Good job prospects are just a nice by product from that.

2 - Well done for ignoring the point! You seemed to blame people who graduate and are unable to get jobs for doing a crap degree - yet the reality is that graduates from all types of courses are finding it hard.

Maybe thats what university means for you. I enjoy experimenting with make up and hair & beauty in general, but to expand my knowledge I didnt study this to degree level. Likewise, Im keen to keep fit and know exactly how all this works, again Im not studying a "sports science" degree. (Im not disrespecting it, just saying that information and education is very easily available these days, no need to spend £27k+ for it.) I also like to learn about other cultures and countries, their geology, their lifestyle etc.. i've found "horizon" and other documents very useful for this. Why did i take a gap year and not go to uni straight away? To earn money, to do the best possible degree i could get into. What will i be studying in september? medicine. There are many reasons why I want to study this, but future prospects is one of them.

Original post by Smack
It is not for you to decide what university is about. For many it is indeed about the job at the end and I quite frankly couldn't give a damn about education or academia.

Totally agree with this, and i think most people would! Most of us just want to better our lives and the best way to plan for a better future quality of life for many of us seems to be to go to university and get a top degree, hence a "high up" job and earn a decent amount. Most of us don't particularly enjoy spending part of our youth indoors late at night/early morning whatever studying and trying to understand concepts just to pass exams..

Original post by notforthe141
If you just want to learn about a subject you find interesting, you can do it without ever setting foot in a university with the amount of resources at our disposal nowadays. People go to university to get formal, recognised qualifications so they can IMPROVE THEIR JOB PROSPECTS

And to be honest, whilst finding jobs is tough for everyone, those who studies engineering and law (for example) wouldnt be out of work for more than a short period of time, if at all. There may still be unemployment in those fields but it is much much less

I agree with just about everything you've said! And in fact there are jobs with 100% employment rates (medicine being one, there may be others im unaware of). To be honest i dont think mickey mouse degrees should exist! Im not belittling those who aren't academically able enough to do the "top degrees", but there are other ways to make money! I know of people who have gone on university to get a degree to work in the same field as others who have skipped the uni part and all the debt and started straight away - earning the same as the uni person will in 3 years time. It makes so much sense for people like this to not bother with uni!
Original post by laurentommo
Why should people do what you tell them to do? As a previous poster said its a relaxed forum e.g. social networking sites you don't start replying to them with your pointless comments? :confused:
These are the type of people I hate on this forum... start picking on people for spelling mistakes and punctuation errors. Find something better to do. :s-smilie:

When people can't understand a post because it is so poorly written, tell me what is the point in having it on the thread?
Original post by TheJ0ker
When people can't understand a post because it is so poorly written, tell me what is the point in having it on the thread?

I managed to read it fine..
Original post by laurentommo
I managed to read it fine..

Well he has edited it now so it is legible. I can only assume that is a good thing.
Original post by madders94
In September I'll (if I get in) be studying Creative Studies, leaning mainly towards writing and journalism. I've always had a knack for journalistic writing, and it's something I really enjoy. However, the benefit of a Creative Studies degree is that I can also do theatre studies, which I enjoy because I have a background in performance, and other aspects of media and film. In all, it's far better to stay in education (particularly whilst the WAG are still subsidising the majority of tuition fees) then to head out into the world with A Levels and nothing else. Of course, after university, I'll be hoping to get a job in journalism, but this isn't my aim forever. When my health has improved and I've got a bit more experience of life - possibly a family etc - I want to go back and train as a midwife, which is what I'd really like to be.

The most important thing is, why are people so interested? Why does it matter what someone else is doing? I'm guessing you're the irritating person who goes around on results day asking what everyone else got to make sure you did best :rolleyes: as long as you're doing something you're happy with, why do everyone else's life choices bother you so much?

I know its your choice and everything but i've read that english applicants have a higher chance of getting a job in jjournalism than classics, creative writing, media, journalism degrees. Just sayin'
Original post by Theafricanlegend
I know its your choice and everything but i've read that english applicants have a higher chance of getting a job in jjournalism than classics, creative writing, media, journalism degrees. Just sayin'

I don't particularly want to be a journalist; it's just a stop-gap. Plus the past two years made me despise studying English :sad:
Original post by Bekkah321
Because maybe not everyone wants to lead a boring life with a boring job and its all boring and dull because they done a degree they had no interest in and find it boring. But they got a job. Wooo!

I find academic subjects boring so i'll take my chances with low job prospects.

No disrespect intended.

That's bull! Not all academic subjects are boring. The thing is with you all you think about is fun, whereas level-headed people know that there has to be a balance between passion for the subject and prospects.
1 - But it isn't. That is the point. University is about learning, education and academia. Good job prospects are just a nice by product from that.

2 - Well done for ignoring the point! You seemed to blame people who graduate and are unable to get jobs for doing a crap degree - yet the reality is that graduates from all types of courses are finding it hard.

1. Doing tv or media studies is not academia.
2. Yes but people with doss degrees find it even harder to get a job.
Original post by madders94
I don't particularly want to be a journalist; it's just a stop-gap. Plus the past two years made me despise studying English :sad:

Ah well then!
If you invest in a degree in a field you're thoroughly passionate about and will enjoy every minute of, I will say that's money well spent. Plus a degree will automatically open up new doors for you anyway, regardless of the subject.
1. Doing tv or media studies is not academia.
2. Yes but people with doss degrees find it even harder to get a job.

1 - I said education aswell did I not.
2 - Again as I said, all graduates are finding it hard to get a job. So to suggest as the OP did, that only those who do certain degrees find it hard to get a job is plain wrong.

In any case, as I have said in many threads around this topic. Who decides what is "doss" or not? Some courses that people consider "doss" actually have very good graduate employment figures. And then you have the problem of people not understanding what a degree actually is about (the common one I get when I tell people I did Computer Science is something related to being able to fix their slow computer).
2 - Again as I said, all graduates are finding it hard to get a job. So to suggest as the OP did, that only those who do certain degrees find it hard to get a job is plain wrong.

In any case, as I have said in many threads around this topic. Who decides what is "doss" or not? Some courses that people consider "doss" actually have very good graduate employment figures. And then you have the problem of people not understanding what a degree actually is about (the common one I get when I tell people I did Computer Science is something related to being able to fix their slow computer).

And again as i said, graduates with rubbish degrees find jobs even harder, you managed to ignore my point.
Oh really? Care to name a degree?
A lot of the high unemoloyment rates in some subjects are due to people going on to do post-graduate study, PHD's, etc.(History and the Classics are some examples)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 133
Original post by jaybutler
And then complain when they can't find work?

You're spending thousands a year (9000 from here on out), dont choose something just because you "think its fun". If you like underwater basket weaving, then do underwater basket weaving in your spare time, don't get a degree in it and then wonder why no employer needs an underwater basket weaver.

Gonna get negged to hell for this, but its completely true - most people who do a non specific degree will eventually end up working in something completely different to that degree anyway, so why not study something with a lot more direction/focus which will set you up financially and then follow your other passions in your own time?

People no longer seem to go to uni to set up a future for themselves, they just do it because everyone's doing it and its expected

well cos a lot of graduate employers say 2.1, doesn't have to be a specific subject so makes sense sometimes to do an easier one
Some people may not be aware of the reality of the job market in their chosen field. Also I think it's good to have a dream/have something that you are passionate about. Whilst in reality nothing may come of it/may never work in that field, it's a good thing for the human spirit to have aspirations and dreams.
Reply 135
And again as i said, graduates with rubbish degrees find jobs even harder, you managed to ignore my point.
Oh really? Care to name a degree?

Always found Town and Country Planning as a good go-to for doss degree sounding things with good prospects.

But yeah, this whole debate is horrible and watching it unfold many times before on TSR I'm sure had an influence over my degree choice over studying something like Sociology or Town Planning which I think I would enjoy just as much, if not more, as the degree I am going to do in History
Reply 136

You're spending thousands a year (9000 from here on out), dont choose something just because you "think its fun". If you like underwater basket weaving, then do underwater basket weaving in your spare time, don't get a degree in it and then wonder why no employer needs an underwater basket weaver.

Gonna get negged to hell for this, but its completely true - most people who do a non specific degree will eventually end up working in something completely different to that degree anyway, so why not study something with a lot more direction/focus which will set you up financially and then follow your other passions in your own time?

People no longer seem to go to uni to set up a future for themselves, they just do it because everyone's doing it and its expected

People should do a degree in a subject they want to. Simple.
I live for the moment and don't give a toss if my degree is considered a 'doss' subject.

Or should I say, I don't give a 'doss' :tongue:
Reply 138

We probably don't help ourselves because most of us also do know how to fix their computers.

But it is undoubtedly true that some graduates will find it a lot harder to get jobs than others. Most 1:1/2:1 graduates in traditional STEM subjects don't have too much trouble getting jobs. Most people I know in these subjects also manage to land well-paying internships in the summer.

I fundamentally refute the logic behind the last government's aim to get 50% of people in higher education. From what I can tell, most people shouldn't be in higher education. Why do 50% of people need to be strong in academic courses?
Not everyone, or even 50% of people, are academic. If this weren't the case then we wouldn't have such a strong notion of "good" and "bad" universities and courses. We'd be much better off encouraging people to go into skilled trades than taking expensive courses which offer neither the student not the taxpayer value for money.

Additionally, if people want to study economically worthless degrees then I think there should be no government subsidy. Why the taxpayer should fund adults to do courses "because it interests them" I have no idea.

so what and where do you study then?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending