The Student Room Group

People who get A* in Eng Lit are smarter than the people who do the same in Science?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alevelsareboring
Who else agrees? I was having this argument with a couple people; me and my friend do writing subjects and are predicted A/A*'s and the people who we were debating with are Science/Maths students predicted the same.

I think subjects like Maths and Science especially are synoptic, it's more to do with being able to remember things like atoms and molecules than raw talent. Maths is a lil different because you have to be smart to understand mathematical concepts etc, but overall i think it's synoptic. I think if your mind can absorb loads of knowledge easily then you will excel at both subjects.

English Literature on the other hand takes raw talent, English students who do well have the ability to interpret a piece of Literature in numerous ways, which takes skill. It's not just knowing what the makes an atom or what x + y is which can be learned through intense revision. It's more to do with raw talent, English Students writing is stylized, cohesive and structured, it takes skill to be able to structure a piece of writing and analyse texts etc.

I dunno, that's just what i think, i'm not saying it's right so don't go all crazy on me, i just want opinions.

A lot of great mathematicians have a raw talent themselves, as in science. Physics in particular requires you to apply information to the most ridiculous of situations, therefore if you do not understand the underlying principles then you are F*****.
Reply 181
And how exactly do you gain those skills in English?

Through practice. It's quite clear you've never studied a maths/science subject at an advanced level. All of the sciences and maths requires the student to develop skills which can never be gained through studying a language. Of course languages too require skill and a student requires skill to analyse texts and draw conclusions from them, and of course, language students have to be able to write with style and clarity. However, this is all achieved through practice, just the same way skills in maths and science are learnt.
Reply 182
Original post by Username_valid
Disagree. Try doing physics, you could read through everything and memorise everything but if you don't understand what you're reading and can't interpret and apply what you've learnt, then you'll most definitely struggle.

What are you talking about? All you have to do in physics is memorise what's on the syllabus. I don't understand any of it at all but I just memorise the stuff I need to and write it down and I'm on an A* atm. It's extremely rare that you see an exam question which actually requires understanding.
Original post by beelz
What are you talking about? All you have to do in physics is memorise what's on the syllabus. I don't understand any of it at all but I just memorise the stuff I need to and write it down and I'm on an A* atm. It's extremely rare that you see an exam question which actually requires understanding.

Memorise the stuff ?? Wat board u doing ??

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by beelz

And we are talking abt a level here

I'm sorry hun, I'm a lit girl and never loved the more logical subjects, but in no way would I ever suggest that maths or science are in any way easy.

It's one of those moments where you can write a poem such as 'War', but the far more significant factor within the scenario is the doctor. The arguement can be spun in any way to suit any view, but ultimatly maths/science is far more significant for survival than any novel.
Original post by MovieMoments
I'm sorry hun, I'm a lit girl and never loved the more logical subjects, but in no way would I ever suggest that maths or science are in any way easy.

It's one of those moments where you can write a poem such as 'War', but the far more significant factor within the scenario is the doctor. The arguement can be spun in any way to suit any view, but ultimatly maths/science is far more significant for survival than any novel.

I have to agree with that

Why do humanities students always say this ****?! You chose to do your subject don't get all butt hurt because your friend who does science or whatever gets A*. Sciences isn't all memorising if it was it would be a walk in the park and why do so many people seem to struggle with sciences and drop it after GCSE?
What about this?

To get on a English A-Level course you require a C at GCSE.

To get on a Further Maths A-Level course you require an A/A* at GCSE.

I wonder why that is? Solve that one, oh wait, only us scientists can solve things. You stick to analysis and all the other useful things.

Although, I admit it's subjective. I would most likely fail English Lit/Lang/History A-Levels because I suck at structuring and stuff. That doesn't mean the actual A-Level is harder though.

Just look at the entry requirements...
I would say the exact opposite.
Doing well in English/History/ languages requires hard work and interest

I personally couldn't care less about Physics, have crap teachers, and don't do very much work - I just have an innate ability to understand logic, which physics, unfortunately for me, is.
Also science and maths GCSEs are just memorising facts - this is not true at A level.

Therefore you have to be more hard working for arts (which does not mean you can't be very intelligent too) and more intelligent for sciences (which does not mean you can't be very hard working too_

So I suppose, whatever you find harder, is what is harder for you. Neither arts nor science students are necessarily more intelligent or hard working, debate over. KK :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 190
Original post by xiyangliu
And we are talking abt a level here

Yup AQA A level.
Original post by beelz
Yup AQA A level.

Try OCR A or OCR B. aqa text book tend to tell u everything u need to knw. Physics does require Brain. A level compare to university level is completely different dude. Its more of problem solving rather memorising. Memorising in a level might help u get a good grade at a level. At uni it's completely different.

every bit of english is subjective, therefore everyone is always right about everything, therefore it is absolutely pointless to indicate intelligence.

maths (mostly) is quantifiable, applicable, abstract and straight.

english literature candidates you will see wearing bright coloured leggings (male or female), empty frame glasses etc.

the mathematical people are the ones with the high paid jobs in the city, the academics who further our limits as humans.
Original post by beelz

I strong recommend u not to do physics at uni... If u have no understanding of what is actually happenning.. And try answer a few questions on OCR B paper. U will realise the difference. I never memorise anything in physics, all I do is apply what I understand to the problem that I am solving. I hate menorising.. And u must be so good at biology !!!

Also - attaining an A* in English Lit' must be pretty easy if OP got one - his/her grammar is appalling.
(edited 11 years ago)
In a way, but then I'd say Maths/Sciences is more difficult BECAUSE you have to put the work in to understand the concepts, you cannot just memorise things as it won't really benefit you. (Although saying this pretty much the entirety of Biology AS seems to me memorising facts and diagrams)

English GCSE I stumbled to a double A* with absolutely no understanding of how or why or what, I just wrote what I saw. That to me is not really very academic, but then me and English never got on. :tongue:
Reply 196
Original post was deliberately insulting I think. Completely different skill sets required - I'm an English lit student but you have to respect the people doing sciences because they are ridiculously tough. English is tough though, just in a different way.

I'd like to give the OP some FP2 and the patronising science posters some Chaucer. muahaha.
Original post by Alevelsareboring
Haha, it's more respected and more difficult because less people have the skill set, but i don't think that automatically makes that skill set more prestigious than the ones needed for English.

So you're saying english is more 'prestigious' than science and maths?

Right to that implies someone with an english degree is more 'prestigious' or 'clever' than a doctor? or an engineer?

Are you kidding me? :facepalm:

Mate you just sound really desperate to prove your worthiness. Just stop trying to compare subjects, if you like english so much then good for you. A lot of poeple will disagree with your views, like me, so all you'll really be getting out of this is a load of neg rep.
Original post by konvictz0007
every bit of english is subjective, therefore everyone is always right about everything, therefore it is absolutely pointless to indicate intelligence.

maths (mostly) is quantifiable, applicable, abstract and straight.

english literature candidates you will see wearing bright coloured leggings (male or female), empty frame glasses etc.

the mathematical people are the ones with the high paid jobs in the city, the academics who further our limits as humans.

Hahaaa I love this.
If u can do physics at uni or maths maybe chemistry. U can handle pretty much any job that is available. That's a fact !!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending