The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by frantas
Hiya! Super cool you are starting at Bristol in September, very well done! I really would love to go there but unfortunately do not have an A in maths gcse and haven't taken it or physics for AS which apparently counteracts this. So am going to resit gcse maths and go from there- I assume you got an A in gcse maths? Sorry for being nosey and thank you :smile: x

Heya, thank you :biggrin:

I was a graduate applicant so my situation probably doesn't apply to you unfortunately. I got a B in GCSE maths but I did still meet their requirements of 6 A grades at GCSE. But they may have been more lenient with my grades as I am a grad so that probably is of no help to you! I think that sounds like a good plan, have you spoken to the uni? I think it's always a good idea to call and speak to someone and get their opinion too :smile:
Reply 981
Hey, I'm hoping to visit one of the Edinburgh Uni open days in September but isn't there a couple of Universities that are included in Edinburgh University? Like Queen Mary's? This may sound stupid but a little confirmation would be nice as to where the open day is :biggrin:
And just to check, you can't book a place there until 6 weeks in advance right? :colondollar:
Original post by worldsmile8
Hey, anyone put down courses other than vet med for UCAS application? And if you have, what did you do with the personal statement? Did you solely focus on vet med (since it's a very distinctive personal statement) or kind of made it broad so it'll cover the other courses. I'm thinking of putting down biovet sci as a backup, but don't know if I can completely focus my PS for vet med.

My backup was bioveterinary science, I've spoken to a lot of vet med applicants at interviews who did the same - the course is basically vet med but without the practical aspect (the RVC course is anyway) and more theory/research based so do focus completely on vet med, but maybe mention an interest in the academic side/research etc if that's something that also interests you. I wrote a sentence about possible interest in postgrad study that could apply to both courses. Plus I think it shows your awareness of different career paths following a vet med degree anyway :smile:
Original post by skatealexia
You need to just focus on very med.

Thanks!!
Original post by wallaby
I had biovet as my back up and a completely vet dedicated statement and got a place :smile: Even my friend who applied to medicine (with a solely medical statement) got her back up which was chemistry (so less related than vet and biovet) :smile: So just focus on vetmed.

Thanks!! Now I have less concerns :smile:
It's stressful enough, so it's good heat from a person who did the same thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by niaphonic
My backup was bioveterinary science, I've spoken to a lot of vet med applicants at interviews who did the same - the course is basically vet med but without the practical aspect (the RVC course is anyway) and more theory/research based so do focus completely on vet med, but maybe mention an interest in the academic side/research etc if that's something that also interests you. I wrote a sentence about possible interest in postgrad study that could apply to both courses. Plus I think it shows your awareness of different career paths following a vet med degree anyway :smile:

Yeah, I was thinking about the RVC biovet sci too. And I have had some research experience, so I guess I'll mention that as well. Thank you for your advice!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
So i'm starting to write my personal statement and was just wondering,there's a place I did a week's experience at, and it was a farm with calves (for meat) and some turkeys as well as being a horse pension. I did work in both aspects, as the farm bit really was mostly feeding,and I was wondering how would you name it?
a mixed farm? a farm/horse pension? Just wondering how to mention it in statement and all !
Reply 987
So much to do this summer.. Equine clinic (so excited!!), Stable, Farm.. and I have to arrange it all around my job, else I may end up getting fired :tongue:

I'm just checking, RVC states you need a minimum of 2 weeks in a veterinary practice. This does include large practices and equine clinics right? (I do have 9 days small animal practice anyway, but if that darn 1 day shortage means I don't get in..)
Original post by zangorou
So much to do this summer.. Equine clinic (so excited!!), Stable, Farm.. and I have to arrange it all around my job, else I may end up getting fired :tongue:

I'm just checking, RVC states you need a minimum of 2 weeks in a veterinary practice. This does include large practices and equine clinics right? (I do have 9 days small animal practice anyway, but if that darn 1 day shortage means I don't get in..)

Pretty sure any sort of vet counts :smile:
Original post by Maudee4567
So i'm starting to write my personal statement and was just wondering,there's a place I did a week's experience at, and it was a farm with calves (for meat) and some turkeys as well as being a horse pension. I did work in both aspects, as the farm bit really was mostly feeding,and I was wondering how would you name it?
a mixed farm? a farm/horse pension? Just wondering how to mention it in statement and all !

What is a 'horse pension,' horse retirement? I'd perhaps call it a mixed farm as you only did a week with mixed animals :smile: You could always elaborate with a sentence saying what you learnt from each bit to make it more clear. Each work experience questionairre generally asks for species numbers anyways.
Reply 990
Original post by skatealexia
Pretty sure any sort of vet counts :smile:

Great, thanks! :biggrin:
I arranged a placement at a vet clinic in February for August this year, they phoned today to say they couldn't do it for insurance reasons (nice timing:s-smilie:). So I am literally going to pester everyone in my local area perhaps even county for work experience in August. If I can't get any before applications would the universities mind? I have around 12 weeks small animal experience but wouldn't have any mixed?
Original post by daniel1005
I arranged a placement at a vet clinic in February for August this year, they phoned today to say they couldn't do it for insurance reasons (nice timing:s-smilie:). So I am literally going to pester everyone in my local area perhaps even county for work experience in August. If I can't get any before applications would the universities mind? I have around 12 weeks small animal experience but wouldn't have any mixed?

I'm also a 2014 applicant, so don't quote me on this, but I've heard many people say that as long as you have a scheduled placement before starting the course, you can mention that as a work experience, and universities will considered that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by daniel1005

Hi there, if you'd like me to perhaps point out where you need to focus on work exp. than quote me & put down a more detailed list.

Ideally the staples are: kennels/cattery/dog groomers, horse stables, farms (especially lambing & dairy calving), small animal vets and large animal vets.

I did mostly small animal vets as my work exp. but did one week of a 100% equine vets which meant I met Liverpool's requirement (who want you to have mixed/large animal work), as well as boosting my work exp forms for the others uni, although it is not a formal requirement for some. I know they are harder to find - for my equine vets I lived with a family friend in another county who was able to drop me off at the vets on his way to work (at 6am despite not opening at 9am meaning I waited for 3 hours outside in winter time - but worth it and the only way I could do that placement).

Hope this reply helps.

Yes, unis can take into account planned placement, but this will not be viewed the same as completed placements and you won't be able to talk about this at interview either.
Reply 994
Hey guys! I'm just joining this post and i'm gonna try and catch up on the 51 pages that I've missed out on :P Anyways, my name's Melody and I'm taking a gap year and starting at RVC in 2014! :biggrin: So if anyone's taking a gap year and going to RVC, lemme know! (We can bond! well... we can bond even if you're not taking a gap year/going to RVC... duh)

Good luck on your applications!!
Reply 995
Original post by melonator
Hey guys! I'm just joining this post and i'm gonna try and catch up on the 51 pages that I've missed out on :P Anyways, my name's Melody and I'm taking a gap year and starting at RVC in 2014! :biggrin: So if anyone's taking a gap year and going to RVC, lemme know! (We can bond! well... we can bond even if you're not taking a gap year/going to RVC... duh)

Good luck on your applications!!

Are you on the facebook group? :smile: There's someone who's got deferred entry to RVC and is going on a gap year too! :smile:
Reply 996
Original post by wallaby
Are you on the facebook group? :smile: There's someone who's got deferred entry to RVC and is going on a gap year too! :smile:

Nope! Can you link me? :smile:
Reply 997
Original post by melonator
Nope! Can you link me? :smile:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/321094924605336/

If you ask on there you should get a reply! :smile:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/345349525576742/ Thats the 2014 one too so you will be able to see who you're starting with eventually (they're on that one too!) :P
Reply 998
Original post by wallaby
https://www.facebook.com/groups/321094924605336/

If you ask on there you should get a reply! :smile:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/345349525576742/ Thats the 2014 one too so you will be able to see who you're starting with eventually (they're on that one too!) :P

Thank you so much! So does anyone have any questions about the application process? (idk if I can help, but I can try hahaha)
When do these Facebook groups tend to be made, if you don't mind me asking? A while back me and another 2015 hopeful were considering making one, but I thought that out thinking might have been a bit too premature :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending