The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Flip me this thread's been going a long time already! This is my 1st post in it but I'm a reapp as this will be my 2nd time applying. Last year I was lucky enough to get an offer from Glasgow but I missed my grades as I got AAB so will be resiting my physics in June. I'm already getting stuck in to work experience and am about to redo my personal statement. It's a long application cycle guys so good luck and hopefully at the end we'll be heading to vet school! :smile:

James
Reply 1181
Hi everyone!
I am currently taking Animal Science at Nottingham University and I am expected to graduate first class honours.
I have BCC at alevels in bio chem and maths respectively. I also have an A in EPQ...(not that it has ever really counted for anything!).
I have ok GCSEs (10x A*-B grades)
My work experience is as follows:
1 week petshop
4x week SA practice
1 week wildlife centre
every weekend for 4 months at a zoo
1 week lambing
1 week at a mixed farm
1 week LA (equine) practice
1 week Zoo
3 days lab
1 day abattoir
once a week 6 months dog walking.

Please could anyone offer any advice about where I should apply to, has any one else heard of people getting in to Nottingham or Bristol with a C in chemistry?
Also if anyone has any personal statement or BMAT advice then that would be really appreciated as both are bogging me down atm!

thanks
Original post by Nattie14
Thanks for the advice...I live in the Middle of a TB ridden Area, so many of the farmers around me have given up on cattle! I will try to get some city farms I think! Best of luck with your application :smile:

If you're keen on doing dairy, some farmers might be willing to let you live on site for free if you have a spare accommodation.

As others have said, if you can't get dairy then definitely try to find other farms, e.g poultry, pig, lambing etc to make up for it.
Original post by worldsmile8
So, since I'm still struggling to find a cattle ranch... The only dairy farms I could find (and I don't even know if they'll let me observe) within the state (I live in the US) are like 120+ miles away, and I'll have to drive that distance by myself. For reference, that's basically from London to Nottingham.
Just so I know, do a lot of people travel that far for placements?

I don't know if I should travel that far or compromise with a cattle ranch closer to home (30+ miles away) but it's just that the equine vet I shadowed warned me that the cattle ranches around here don't really do anything, and the max interaction with cows would be when throwing out a hay bale occasionally and when shipping them out. I'm not sure if I should go for a wide variety of w/e with shallow observations... But the fact that I have no farm work makes me more anxious (I have a decent amount of stable work and equine vet experience, and most likely will get zoo experience too)

Posted from TSR Mobile

A dairy unit will likely involve more contact than a beef cattle unit. It might be possible for you to find a local B&B or the farmer may have some sort of free accommodation for you in return for your help. It's a doable distance to drive but would be quite expensive if you did that every day so you'd need to drive and find somewhere to stay. Are there any poultry or pig farms near you perhaps? You definately need some sort of farm work experience.

I'd also advise on getting small animal experience too (e.g. kennels/cattery/shelter/dog groomers/pet shop and at a small animal vets). As part of the UK course you have to learn about both small and large species and hence you need to have experience in those areas too, even if you are leaning more to the large animal side of things.
Original post by SilverstarDJ
A dairy unit will likely involve more contact than a beef cattle unit. It might be possible for you to find a local B&B or the farmer may have some sort of free accommodation for you in return for your help. It's a doable distance to drive but would be quite expensive if you did that every day so you'd need to drive and find somewhere to stay. Are there any poultry or pig farms near you perhaps? You definately need some sort of farm work experience.

I'd also advise on getting small animal experience too (e.g. kennels/cattery/shelter/dog groomers/pet shop and at a small animal vets). As part of the UK course you have to learn about both small and large species and hence you need to have experience in those areas too, even if you are leaning more to the large animal side of things.

Thanks for the advice. I'm having a little bit of hope for a fairly close beef farm or maybe a pig farm right now. For the long distance travel, unless I get some sort of accommodation from the farm, hotels won't let me stay by myself since I'm still 17.... Sucks.

SA is actually what I've mostly been doing (6+ weeks SA vet and 1+ week handling dogs and cats at adoption events) so, so far, farm experience is what I'm most concerned with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wallaby
I live in the middle-ish part of England and went to Devon for a vet lab ( about 270 miles) and Scotland for stables and then for an equine hospital (about 250 miles) after struggling to find anywhere around me that I could get to from home. So have travelled quite a long way to get placements and had to camp too to save money :smile: I've also been to Australia for a placement but that definitely wasn't necessary! I don't think you need to go far, but my interviewers definitely seemed impressed with my efforts and I got some great experiences. But if you can get a farm near you, I would go there and just ask lots of questions or go at a time where they might be more hands on like TB testing or checking for pregnancies or whatever :smile:

Thanks. I definitely won't have much luck around here for dairy, but I'll try to find beef or pig farms. And maybe still consider going out to the very few dairy farms if they'll let me and if I can arrange an accommodation.

You're traveling distance just gave me some courage :smile: thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
It's probably a bit too much for universities to expect you to travel 120 miles. The furthest I've gone for work experience is about 70 miles, but I had accommodation and didn't have to commute each day. Is there no chance that the farms could provide a spare room for a few days? Or could you perhaps stay in a motel or something along those lines? The furthest I've traveled each day is maybe just under 40 miles (for the round trip), but I had to do it on foot and public transport which meant that I spent more time traveling than I did actually working :redface: !

If you think you can manage the journey, then by all means give it a go. I don't know what the entry requirements are for international applicants, but that would certainly show incredible dedication! If you think it might be a bit far then I'd still do a few days at the other place even if you don't think it will be that useful. You might be pleasantly surprised :smile:

Thanks. It is a long journey and I'm not sure if I can find a place to stay (since I can't stay at a hotel because I'm still 18), but I think I'll give it a shot and if everything goes well, I'll do it for the experience.

As for more realistic plans, I'm having a bit of hope for closer beef or pig farms.
Int'l applicant entry requirements (w/e wise) is the same as UK applicants.
Although Edinburgh doesn't have interviews for int'l applicants and Bristol's on the phone so that's quite different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1187
Hi everyone!

Just thought I'd finally make my presence known as I, too will be applying this year round for Veterinary Medicine!

Good luck everyone!
ok random question but for using baby animals do we use the official word or "baby ___"
I mean if I say "I witnessed the births of kids" would they get it's goats and not humans? (or am I the only stupid person that got confused at this? ;p )

also just readin previous posts, how did you get across that you travelled ages for your placementS? because I have had some that were 2h away and had to get there and back every day through walk/train/metro/bus so I guess it does show dedication no?
Reply 1189
Original post by Maudee4567
ok random question but for using baby animals do we use the official word or "baby ___"
I mean if I say "I witnessed the births of kids" would they get it's goats and not humans? (or am I the only stupid person that got confused at this? ;p )

also just readin previous posts, how did you get across that you travelled ages for your placementS? because I have had some that were 2h away and had to get there and back every day through walk/train/metro/bus so I guess it does show dedication no?

I guess you could mention the location of the work placements, e.g. a sheep farm in Ledbury, a cattle farm in Glasgow.
Sorry about the vague example :/
Original post by Bez :)
I guess you could mention the location of the work placements, e.g. a sheep farm in Ledbury, a cattle farm in Glasgow.
Sorry about the vague example :/

Problem is that I intended it to be for introduction, as it's what made me want to be a vet?
Although I am using that for Llama farm, just in case they don't undestand 'cria' (I wish I could have found lambing instead of weird animals.. but none around!)
Hey guys, I thought I'd better come and say hi too! I'm a reapp this year after being unsuccessful last year post-interview. I'm happy to answer any questions about my experience from last time :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cheetahluv
Hey guys, I thought I'd better come and say hi too! I'm a reapp this year after being unsuccessful last year post-interview. I'm happy to answer any questions about my experience from last time :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not Steph from the facebook group is it? Haha
Original post by Jamesnorniron
It's not Steph from the facebook group is it? Haha

Hahahahaha yes it is!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hahahahaha yes it is!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I saw the cheetah thing in your name and Thought it was :L It's James incase you didn't know haha
(edited 10 years ago)
I saw the cheetah thing in your name and Thought it was :L It's James incase you didn't know haha

Haha! I saw the James in yours and realised :wink: hahahaha we sound like stalking weirdos!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha! I saw the James in yours and realised :wink: hahahaha we sound like stalking weirdos!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

:hi: Hi James and Steph, I bet you can't guess who I am :wink:
Original post by Maudee4567

I would just say something like I witness <insert animal> being born, saying baby or saying kids might get mistaken as people so just put the animal. Also I think most people have to travel miles to get stuff so I don't think people really put it in their PS, I mean you could if you wanted but I have to travel 2 hours or more for most of mine and haven't put it but each to their own :biggrin:
Original post by beccac94
:hi: Hi James and Steph, I bet you can't guess who I am :wink:

I would just say something like I witness <insert animal> being born, saying baby or saying kids might get mistaken as people so just put the animal. Also I think most people have to travel miles to get stuff so I don't think people really put it in their PS, I mean you could if you wanted but I have to travel 2 hours or more for most of mine and haven't put it but each to their own :biggrin:

Since everyone is identifying themselves, I guess I'll do the same! I'm Jane from the fb group :smile: I'm a reapp as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Radiohead_1
Since everyone is identifying themselves, I guess I'll do the same! I'm Jane from the fb group :smile: I'm a reapp as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought the whole point of TSR was that we could keep our identities a mystery?!!:colone:

Angry cucumber and I will remain anonymous! :nutcase:

tbh, most of you know who we are anyway :L
Original post by jamsie555
I thought the whole point of TSR was that we could keep our identities a mystery?!!:colone:

Angry cucumber and I will remain anonymous! :nutcase:

tbh, most of you know who we are anyway :L

Whoops sorry :') I think I sort of know who most people are anyway haha. I'm not really bothered about anyone knowing who I am on this anyway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending