The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tommy futurevet
How do some of the Liverpool vet school applicants have >30 weeks WE? How can you do that and go to school? Is this a good way of selecting vets?

When you think about it, I can see several ways of it being possible... Just mostly entailing a compete and total lack of free time. Personally I've got 15 weeks BTW :smile: I don't think it is the best way of selecting vets, but it does show dedication and real interest, so it can't hurt :wink:
How do some of the Liverpool vet school applicants have >30 weeks WE? How can you do that and go to school? Is this a good way of selecting vets?

Some people just like to show off. It's quality over quantity IMO

Posted from TSR Mobile

Either they're a reapp so have spent time doing it in a gap year...or they worked very hard! I had about 23 weeks last year and only really started when I got to college, I ended up working both days on a weekend and every week I had off, it was tough! :smile: I doubt it's a good way to just use to select who gets interviewed though, more needs to be taken into consideration I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hold down 2 part time jobs at a Kennels and a farm as well as going to sixth form, if I was to calculate how many days I've worked I would have well in excess of 30 weeks plus the 10 weeks veterinary I have. It's hard to balance it all, but it is possible :-)!
Original post by matty9694
Hey peeps!!!

It feels like ages since I posted on TSR, outside of the PS help section anyway.

Well done to those of you that already have interviews! :smile:

It's not even been a week since I sent my UCAS off and the paranoia has got me already. :s-smilie:

Hoping that the third time's the charm...:tongue:

*High 5* for the third time apps :smile: Did you put a backup this year???

Original post by megananneelliott
I hold down 2 part time jobs at a Kennels and a farm as well as going to sixth form, if I was to calculate how many days I've worked I would have well in excess of 30 weeks plus the 10 weeks veterinary I have. It's hard to balance it all, but it is possible :-)!

Just a note on the Liverpool form long term placements for things like farms, kennels etc can only count as 6weeks and vets 4weeks but that's for each placement, its explained more on the form :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by beccac94

Just a note on the Liverpool form long term placements for things like farms, kennels etc can only count as 6weeks and vets 4weeks but that's for each placement, its explained more on the form :smile:

*High 5* :tongue:

No I haven't, but everyone keeps telling me that I should be a teacher...:s-smilie:

I think everyone's given up on me already. :redface:

Did you put a back up? :smile:
Reply 1386
I think im going to give up all notions of studying law, and take the BSc in Veterinary Nursing at Napier. As much as it pains me to say this, and as much as i respect law as a subject worthy of taking up at uni, i feel i couldnt sit getting bored out my head on a four year law degree. I love animals, always have, and own pets. Besides, i think the course in vet nursing would be totally awesome.
Just need to take my access in science subjects now, to gain access i hope.
*High 5* :tongue:

No I haven't, but everyone keeps telling me that I should be a teacher...:s-smilie:

I think everyone's given up on me already. :redface:

Did you put a back up? :smile:

Teaching what?? :P and yep I put 2 zoology at Liverpool and Sheffield but I'm hoping I won't have to go for one cause this will be our year!!!
Original post by beccac94

I know :-), but I didn't apply there!
Hey peeps!!!

It feels like ages since I posted on TSR, outside of the PS help section anyway.

It's not even been a week since I sent my UCAS off and the paranoia has got me already. :s-smilie:

MATTY!!! Weren't you in the interview at Liv after me last year and you saw my parents??? I really hoped you'd got in :frown:!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have 48 weeks but that's because I've been working on a farm doing the lambing each year for 8 years (which adds up!), work at the RSPCA every Saturday, spent all this summer doing emergency last-min-panic-work exp (with only 2 weeks off) and am applying to do vet med as a second degree so have had the extra 3 years of doing a first degree to accumulate extra work exp. When I applied first time when still at school, I only had 20odd weeks and that was more than enough to get an interview and the feedback said that I had a good amount of work exp (just rubbish at the actual interview hahaha) so high teens-low twenties should be fine :smile: Many of the other people with >30wk WE will also be reapplicants - the vast majority of whom will have taken gap year(s) and one or 2 who might have worked as a vet nurse for a year or 2 getting ridiculous amounts of exp in the field, but none of these people will be compared with a 1st time applicant as that's not really fair!
Reply 1391
Hey, On my large animal vet work experience I did both equine and farm stuff, on the Edinburgh WES should I put it as equine or farm vet work? :confused:

I got around 19 weeks as a first time applicant, but know others who have gotten in with 15 weeks to Liverpool. 30+ would usually be a reapplicant and that would be taken into consideration. In the summer of year 12 I didn't go on holiday or have any time off and just did work exp. and the same was true with half terms and some of the other holidays. I also did a morning to a whole day every Saturday at an animal rescue for a few years, so it does add up and is possible to do that and go to school BUT it requires very good time management skills.

Some people say it is about quality and not quantity, and, whist quality is important you still need to meet minimum requirement (10weeks for Liverpool) and more if you want to remain competitive. Liverpool are also looking for variety among the placements you do.

Is it a good way of selecting vets? Yes, I think so. If you have a lot of work exp you know what you are in for (vs some unis who only require 2 weeks!), have already built contacts for future EMS, and have a fundamental understanding for your animal husbandry lectures etc. It's good that unis have different criteria that they weight differently so you have a greater chance for getting into one of these places - if they all had the same 'formula' for the perfect applicant you would have less of a chance of getting in if you did not meet the formula.

I like the fact that Liverpool looks into work exp, but does not read PSes (one of the few vet schools who don't) since these can be heavily tutored to improve them and not everyone has that privilege, but almost anyone can get work exp.
Hey peeps!!!

Wow I remember you posting on here like agesss ago! Where are you applying to? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1394
Hi everyone! I'm new to this thread and scottish 2013 applicant :biggrin:

I've applied for vet med at edinburgh and glasgow, and i've just sent off my WES form to edinburgh
My Higher grades are AABBD (not great, however I'm resitting maths and doing advanced biology and chemistry, and I've been predicted 3 As - some nasty person marked my exams!)
My work ex:
Seeing small animal practice every week for 2 years
6 weeks small animal at larger branch
1 week mixed practice (different vets)
1 week equine practice
2 seasons lambing
2 seasons calving
Horse post mortem at knackery
CPD meeting 'Misadventures and Staying alive' lecture based on emergency treatment and traumatic brain injury in small animals
2 years weekly volunteer at stables
Volunteer for riding for the disabled

So poor grades but loaadss of experience which they'll hopefully look at!

Has anyone heard from either Edinburgh or Glasgow??

(edited 10 years ago)
I have just applied first time round and have 31 weeks varied work experience and haven't heard a word from Liverpool other than the acknowledgment email.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RyanMcStravick
I have just applied first time round and have 31 weeks varied work experience and haven't heard a word from Liverpool other than the acknowledgment email.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You won't hear for a bit yet, they usually send the work ex form out mid November'ish :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1397
Out of interest, has anyone else applied with less than the minimum grades? I know it's a long shot, but hopefully if I get an interview I'm in with a chance!
Original post by Molzaa96
Out of interest, has anyone else applied with less than the minimum grades? I know it's a long shot, but hopefully if I get an interview I'm in with a chance!

Do you mean minimum AS requirements, or A2 predictions?
I've applied, I only got BBBC at AS and predicted AABa*(EPQ) :tongue:
Here's to hopefully being lucky! :redface:
Original post by Molzaa96

I've applied with ABB but I'm predicted AAA, I'm also just hoping that work experience will boost me up and hopefully I'll get an interview :-)!!

Latest

Trending

Trending