The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chungy1
Hi I've applied to Veterinary Science this year. Can anyone recommend a back-up course? I'm not sure about doing Bioveterinary Sciences because I'm worried if I do it all the vets will call me a vet failure like all the medics do to biomedical students. I don't want to do vet nursing either because the job isn't practical enough.

Zoology? Microbiology? Genetics? You've already eliminated the most sensible ones. And there is nothing wrong with biovet sciences or vet nursing IMO.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 13danielle
I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and Maths... are many people doing 4 A2 levels?

I'm doing biology, chemistry, maths and English lit... OUR COLLEGE MADES EVERYONE DO AT LEAST 4. They're evil. :smile:
Original post by Chungy1
Hi I've applied to Veterinary Science this year. Can anyone recommend a back-up course? I'm not sure about doing Bioveterinary Sciences because I'm worried if I do it all the vets will call me a vet failure like all the medics do to biomedical students. I don't want to do vet nursing either because the job isn't practical enough.

I'm a vet nurse and the work is extremely practical if you mean like "hands-on"!! It is a really enjoyable job :smile:
It was my back up... but now if I don't get into vet school I'm going into Dairy Farming!
Reply 1583
Original post by aliceblue
I'm a vet nurse and the work is extremely practical if you mean like "hands-on"!! It is a really enjoyable job :smile:
It was my back up... but now if I don't get into vet school I'm going into Dairy Farming!

Where are you doing vet nursing?
Reply 1584
I do biology chemistry and food and nutrition

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1585
Original post by nebbydog
What A level subject are people doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bio, Chem, Physics and History (the last just because I enjoy it) :smile:
Reply 1586
I'm doing biology, chemistry and economics :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chungy1
Where are you doing vet nursing?

I'm not on the degree course, I just work as a vet nurse. You can become a qualified vet nurse by working at a training practice who will put you through college on a day or block release programme which takes 2 years, I'd have been due to go in the next year or two. Its kinda the more traditional route into the profession and meant I could continue working... I finished my A-levels 7 years ago and went straight into employment so never really thought uni was an option, worked in offices etc for a few years and hated it so got into vet nursing and its great! But... I've wanted to be a vet since being a kid... and its not as impossible as I thought - although getting a variety of work exp alongside working full time and boosting my academics at college has not been easy lol!
But its a really varied, rewarding job with a lot of practical clinical work, I think its definitely a sensible back up choice if you need one.
So I almost lost my welly by stepping in cow pat/mud that was thigh deep... My reflex reaction was to grab the nearest thing to steady myself... the electric fence.

I can safely say I learnt something during this weekends work experience. LOL.
Original post by Chungy1

What about veterinary physiotherapy? They have a course at Harper Adams. It's vet nursing, but with lots more detail! You could end up working at a racing yard or doing freelance work :-)! I applied for it, but withdrew as everyone was to be interviewed and I know how much I don't want to really do it i.e. I want to be a vet soooo bad, that it would reflect in interview :-)!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1590
Is anyone her taking a third year at sixth form to better their grades and if so what did you get last year? :smile:
Original post by Pie1213
Is anyone her taking a third year at sixth form to better their grades and if so what did you get last year? :smile:

Kinda, part time anyway. I got ABBB. Missed biology and maths by one mark, English literature (which doesn't really matter) by 4UMS. The A was chemistry. I've got an offer for zoology as my fifth this year!
Anyone who got a Cambridge interview last year how did you hear about it please?
anyone got work exp form from Liverpool yet?
Reply 1594
Original post by xxscoobyxx
Anyone who got a Cambridge interview last year how did you hear about it please?

I have received one this year by email, but it has not updated on UCAS track. So email would be my bet.
Has anyone heard from Glasgow yet?
thanks in advance
Original post by bunbun123
Has anyone heard from Glasgow yet?
thanks in advance

Some people have had rejections but no interviews as far as I know

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PThakkar
anyone got work exp form from Liverpool yet?

Nope, should be coming out soon apparently

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AliceDK
I have received one this year by email, but it has not updated on UCAS track. So email would be my bet.

Well done!! What college if you don't mind me asking? :-)
Original post by chaarlotte
Some people have had rejections but no interviews as far as I know

When did the get rejections? Thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending