The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
Has anybody had any news, rejection or otherwise from Edinburgh? The sound of silence is starting to mess with my wad and it'd be great to know what other people have heard. :P
Original post by beth_ann
Has anybody had any news, rejection or otherwise from Edinburgh? The sound of silence is starting to mess with my wad and it'd be great to know what other people have heard. :P

I havent heard anything either so im always really worried!
Reply 1782
Original post by jay-kay17
my backup is biochemistry. to be honest I think any science/animal related course is fine, it's what yoû learn from it that counts, so pick something you enjoy!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I'm going to put Biology and Maths as a back-up. I've emailed Unis to ask if they would consider me and hopefully they will. But thank you for the suggestion :smile:
Reply 1783
Original post by JacobLange
I havent heard anything either so im always really worried!

I know :frown: I'm hoping that they just take longer to get back to you than Glasgow does but nobody else in my school is applying so I don't know how other people are faring
Original post by Leigh303
Hiya, I'm a first year at bristol :smile: I didn't apply to Cambridge so can't help you there but obviously can for brizzle (which is the best vet school anyway)

I actually enjoyed my bristol interview way more than the rest. For your panel interview make sure you can sell yourself, talk about your work experience (especially farm stuff) and answer all the basics eg why do you want to be a vet, basic species vaccinations, current issues. Do not be scared by the MMI! Obviously I can't give you much advice on it. But Each station is explained, just make sure you think everything through carefully and logically and you will be fine.

Above all- just act confident however scared you are! Worked wonders for me. Fake it til you make it :wink:

Any other Qs feel free to PM me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot, that really helps!
I know :frown: I'm hoping that they just take longer to get back to you than Glasgow does but nobody else in my school is applying so I don't know how other people are faring

I phoned them and they told me it would be January before I would hear anything hope that helps :smile:
Reply 1786
Hi Everyone :smile:
are there any other Canadian Highschool Applicants in this thread? Or North American in General??

If there is.. Have you heard anything back? I know we are supposed to receive decisions much earlier since we don't have to write the BMAT.

This is so stressful!

I've heard nothing either, except from a friend that tells me they interview in January and Feb. Hopefully we'll get some news in the next month!
Reply 1788
Original post by VetScience
I've heard nothing either, except from a friend that tells me they interview in January and Feb. Hopefully we'll get some news in the next month!

Hi I'm a 2014 reapplicant and last year I applied to Edinburgh and Glasgow. I found out that I was unsuccessful at getting an interview at Edinburgh on the 6th of December last year and your friend is right, they tend to interview after Christmas in January and February (a girl in my year got an interview there last year and just started this September!)

If you have any questions about Glasgow let me know and I'll do my best to help!
Original post by devlina1
Hi I'm a 2014 reapplicant and last year I applied to Edinburgh and Glasgow. I found out that I was unsuccessful at getting an interview at Edinburgh on the 6th of December last year and your friend is right, they tend to interview after Christmas in January and February (a girl in my year got an interview there last year and just started this September!)

If you have any questions about Glasgow let me know and I'll do my best to help!

Did you get an interview for Glasgow last year? If so, what was it like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1790
Original post by chaarlotte
Did you get an interview for Glasgow last year? If so, what was it like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I got an interview last year, I only got on the waiting list though (didn’t get an official offer) so that’s why I have another one this year.

They were really friendly and they just want to get a feel for you and your personality. They’re not expecting you to know all the answers, they just want to see that you’re passionate about studying vet medicine and you’re aware of what it involves, that sort of thing. They ask a few sort of science/vetty type questions but you can’t really revise for these or anything, it’s mostly just common sense. The questions you could prepare for a bit are ones about your work experience, just think about what you did and what you learned from each placement. There will also probably be an ethical question and for this it’s important to just be honest, if you don’t know about something don’t pretend you do because they’ll see straight through that.

Hope this has helped! When is your interview?
Reply 1791
Does anybody know what's happening with Surrey? I know they've given some people interviews already but are they doing it in batches or what? I thought that they'd just do them all in one considering there's only around 25 pleacea on the actual course. I guess this is me panicking because I haven't had one but can someone enlighten me? :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1792
They only require references if you're called for interview
:smile:
Reply 1793
Original post by megananneelliott
Everywhere I have sent mine too has emailed and thanked me and said that they have been attached to my file, I hardly expect they would lie about it :-/!

Where have you sent your references to?
Got an interview at Glasgow!! :biggrin:
Original post by devlina1
Yes I got an interview last year, I only got on the waiting list though (didn’t get an official offer) so that’s why I have another one this year.

They were really friendly and they just want to get a feel for you and your personality. They’re not expecting you to know all the answers, they just want to see that you’re passionate about studying vet medicine and you’re aware of what it involves, that sort of thing. They ask a few sort of science/vetty type questions but you can’t really revise for these or anything, it’s mostly just common sense. The questions you could prepare for a bit are ones about your work experience, just think about what you did and what you learned from each placement. There will also probably be an ethical question and for this it’s important to just be honest, if you don’t know about something don’t pretend you do because they’ll see straight through that.

Hope this has helped! When is your interview?

Thank you! Yeah I've heard from a few people that Glasgow are usually really nice; I met an equine vet during work experience at the lab who was involved with interviews for foreign students and he was really friendly and funny. My interview's on 12th December :smile: what kind of things did they ask about work experience? And if you don't mind me asking, what wex did you have when you applied?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ljbrook
Where have you sent your references to?

Bristol, RVC, Surrey and Nottingham :-).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gabylindley
Haven't heard anything from Liverpool, does that mean it's going to be a rejection? :'(

no news=good news
thats what i've heard, and im sticking with that motto :wink:
Reply 1798
Original post by chaarlotte
Thank you! Yeah I've heard from a few people that Glasgow are usually really nice; I met an equine vet during work experience at the lab who was involved with interviews for foreign students and he was really friendly and funny. My interview's on 12th December :smile: what kind of things did they ask about work experience? And if you don't mind me asking, what wex did you have when you applied?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mine's on the 18th :smile: I think everyone found out if they had an offer or not from the week beginning the 21st of January last year so compared to other unis they got back to us rather quickly!

Well what they specifically ask you about will depend on what work experience you’ve done and what you wrote about on your Practical Experience Form. For example, I wrote that the dairy farm I did work experience at have no bulls on the farm so they asked me a bit about that and about how this effects the farm and why etc, so if there’s anything kind of different or interesting about a specific placement they might ask about that. Otherwise, the questions will be more general or they might choose one placement and ask a few questions about that like what you learned/liked about it or an interesting case you saw.

Last year before I applied I had about 9 weeks of work experience at a small animal vet, a small animal hospital, a dairy farm and a sheep farm. Compared to what I have this year it seems like so little, but Glasgow don’t really have a minimum number of weeks like Liverpool, for example. If you’ve got an interview you don’t need to worry about how much wex you’ve got anyway. I keep thinking that compared to last year my application is so much stronger now. This year I’ve got those 9 weeks, plus a week at a large animal vet, 2 weeks at a riding school, a week at an exotic pet shop and a week at a cattery (which I now have a part time job at).

How much wex do you have out of interest?
Reply 1799
Original post by PoultryVetSam
Got an interview at Glasgow!! :biggrin:

ME TOO YAYYYYYYYYYY when's your interview??

Latest

Trending

Trending