The Student Room Group

PGCE and Criminal Convictions

Would be very grateful if anyone could provide any info on this. I'm thinking of applying for a PGCE in London after completing my first degree at Lancaster. Problem is, I was convicted of being drunk and disorderly on the Isle of Man when I was 17 and received a year long conditional discharge. Obviously, I'm aware that all institutions carry out a police check before admitting students to PGCE courses and I'm worried that this would prohibit my enrolling. Am still friendly with the lawyer who represented me and am sure she would provide a character reference if it was necessary. Please advise!
Reply 1
If it is cleared after one year then it should be ok. I know that a girl on my course was convicted for the same thing whilst already on the course and it didn't affect her.
However, my fiance had a fight whilst out when he was 20 and he was locked up for the night and was cautioned for ABH.
The police said it was just a caution and would be kept on file for 3 years, so he didn't think it would be a problem.
Two years later he went to apply for a PE PGCE and they wouldn't let him to it because of his caution - but maybe that was because it was ABH.
He had to get a CRB to do his masters but they allowed him on with the caution - so I think it depends on the institution/course etc.

I don't think drunk and disorderly is as bad though either- after all teachers do get drunk! :biggrin:

I would just go for it and see what happens. Maybe ring the universities and ask them.

I personally think it stinks that the likes of my fiance who is lovely person and got into a fight through no fault of his own cannot teach, but then these perverts can slip through the system and teach children. It's disgusting, but that's another story!
Reply 2
Yeah, I agree with you - it is ****. I'm holding onto the fact that D&D is a pretty minor conviction, the Isle of Man constabulary are renouned for being tough (i.e. heavy handed) and I was under 18 at the time. I don't want a stupid mistake I made when I was young to get in the way of the rest of my life.
You should be fine I feel. It was several years ago and as you say, quite minor in comparison to what some people have on their records.

Just apply and see what happens. I don't foresee any problems.

(And judging by your location, maybe a congratulations on the cycling Gold medal won earlier by the Isle on Man guy are in order :smile: )
Reply 4
Thanks, you've reassured me. Have had a reply from King's about this, encouraging me to apply and discuss the conviction should I be invited for interview. So it could be a lot worse, I guess.
Reply 5
wouldn't it have been wiped off anyways? once you reach 18, or the conditional discharge was over it'd have gone from your record anyways? I know my brother got something minor on his record when he was 16 and it was cleaned off when he was 18.
kittykate
wouldn't it have been wiped off anyways? once you reach 18, or the conditional discharge was over it'd have gone from your record anyways? I know my brother got something minor on his record when he was 16 and it was cleaned off when he was 18.

Manx law is very different in some respects. They are much more heavy handed in terms of wiping convictions and stuff like that. Roll the clock back in the UK 30 years and you find the Isle of Man.
Reply 7
The child safety act only ensures that those people which may pose a threat towards children are not fit for the job. I mean - people on the sex offenders list have been able to work as P.E teachers.
Reply 8
Convictions are never 'spent' foe people working in education. There are only relevent if the nature of the conviction means that the person concerned would be unsuitable for teaching.

I got a conviction at 17 that hasnt affected my teaching career at all. If asked about it, I simply say it taught me a hard lesson that I've since passed on to my students!

Latest

Trending

Trending