Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

University of Bristol's reputation in the UK and amongst employers?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Choosing between a well-regarded US school (Rice) or Bristol for a Master's. Any input is greatly appreciated
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Where do you plan on working and what do you plan on doing?
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poprocks1)
    Choosing between a well-regarded US school (Rice) or Bristol for a Master's. Any input is greatly appreciated
    Well, likewise.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i'd be doing a MRes in natural hazards -- so earth science/geology
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    urban. cos of banksy and the vast ethnic diversity and cos its a city
    historic. cos of posh buildings in clifton like the suspension bridge
    a bit posh in places. again cos of rich places like clifton and the fact bristol is in the south west region, which is the posh region
    fun. cos of festivals like harbourside and the hot air balloon thing
    academic. cos of the big schools and the university
    media. cos of bbc offices there and cos shows like skins are filmed there

also employers dont care about location!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    oh -- haha, i meant the university, my bad. but thank you
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    i'd be doing a MRes in natural hazards -- so earth science/geology
    Where do you see yourself working, USA or England?

(and it has been said on many occasions that Bristol has a particularly good reputation with employers - good if you want to work in the UK. In the states, however, Rice's reputation is also particularly good - its often referred to as the ivy league of the south- soooo it just depends on where you wanna be really)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure yet.. I think I'd like to do a PhD before entering the workforce -- which I'd be open to doing in the US or the UK. Ultimately, I'd like to end up in the US.

How does the UK perceive Bristol -- is it like Rice is to the US as Bristol is to the UK??
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Other considerations are... Bristol is one year, Rice is two -- The Bristol program is more oriented to research, whereas Rice is more geared to practical application.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure yet.. I think I'd like to do a PhD before entering the workforce -- which I'd be open to doing in the US or the UK. Ultimately, I'd like to end up in the US.

How does the UK perceive Bristol -- is it like Rice is to the US as Bristol is to the UK??
    Well if you study in Bristol, with that different angle to your degree, you'll stand out from the crowd a bit more as you'll bring something new to the table with your research skills when you come to do your PhD.

Exactly that
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Naomiimoan, thats definitely a great way to look at it...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naomiimoan)
    Well if you study in Bristol, with that different angle to your degree, you'll stand out from the crowd a bit more as you'll bring something new to the table with your research skills when you come to do your PhD.

Exactly that

Do you go there?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Go for Rice if you can afford it.

Even if Rice postgrad education isn't really very well-regarded in the US compared to its undergrad education, the experience of attending a top American school for 2 years, is, in itself, educational. Graduating from Rice though would not assure you of a job in the US. Though it may give you a leg up as you are already there, compared to starting the whole application process for a job in America from the UK.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jfranks)
    urban. cos of banksy and the vast ethnic diversity and cos its a city
    historic. cos of posh buildings in clifton like the suspension bridge
    a bit posh in places. again cos of rich places like clifton and the fact bristol is in the south west region, which is the posh region
    fun. cos of festivals like harbourside and the hot air balloon thing
    academic. cos of the big schools and the university
    media. cos of bbc offices there and cos shows like skins are filmed there

also employers dont care about location!
    You've missed the point slightly, OP wants to know whether Bristol Uni is viewed well by employers, not how people in the UK imagine the city. Also hate it when people equate posh with rich...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    my mum and 2 of my 3 sisters have attended that university and they have all found well paid jobs.
    obviously its not oxbridge or russle group (your equivalent of ivy league) but people who go there can be really successful and you will enjoy being in the city too, its a great place to live.

Bristol is in the Russell Group.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    my mum and 2 of my 3 sisters have attended that university and they have all found well paid jobs.
    obviously its not oxbridge or russle group (your equivalent of ivy league) but people who go there can be really successful and you will enjoy being in the city too, its a great place to live.
    Bristol is Russell Group :yes:

Edit- Oh snap Evyy :lol:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    seriously? it is? woops my bad
    so its obviously not oxbridge but hey so far we have determined it is russle group so that has got to be another reason why you might want to go there. im sorry im a bit dumb
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone. Is there An American equivalent you might compare it to?? Also- my boyfriend -- also American would be moving with me... Are there job opportunities there for Americans??
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Do you go there?
    No, although, I will be in October but that has not influenced my points because I did aaaaall my research before my applications
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naomiimoan)
    No, although, I will be in October but that has not influenced my points because I did aaaaall my research before my applications
    Well... it's quite likely I'll see you there then What do you study?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 16, 2012
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.