The Student Room Group
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website

Current students - what do you think of Anglia Ruskin Uni

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tinman1
Cambridge, unsurprisingly, is a beautiful city and has a lovely 'normal' feel about the place compared to other cities which are crawling with the Jeremy Kyle types you don't think really exist outside the Cambridge bubble. The Grafton Centre is virtually opposite the uni, and has lots of shops, quite a few new ones like a big h&m. Main town is about a 10 minute walk away, and that's where you can find a huge Wetherspoons pub, and about 5 other main clubs - all pretty decent and each put on student nights. Vodka Revolution put on the official ARU club nights and they're awesome. There's several nice pubs opposite the uni, including The Tram, The Baker and The Snug. The Baker is my favourite and has some great drinks deals and lovely, cheap meals.

The Uni has come a long way over the past couple of years. It was being developed 3 years ago and was, quite frankly, awful. But it's now been fully modernised throughout the main campus, and I'm lucky in that all my lectures and seminars are in the front building.

It's a small uni, and has a nice feel about the place. I'd recommend it to people who are wary about going to uni, as on some levels it feels like an easy transition from sixth form. Lots of clubs and societies to involve yourself with, but the uni sports field is a taxi ride away which is a pain and is one of the biggest downsides if you're into football or rugby.

There's a big swimming pool (not related to ARU, although they offer student prices) about a 1 minute walk away & there's an asda and a tesco about a 15 minute walk away.

Any questions, please ask. But don't be put off by league tables. I got straight A's at A level, but there's more to life than what others think and I'm on course to get a 1st at ARU. I'll be able to graduate being one of the lucky ones who can say I've had the best 3 years of my life, and that's purely down to ARU being such a friendly place to study in, and Cambridge being such a great city.

Did you go to sixth form in cambs too?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website
Reply 21
Cambridge is the safest city in UK according to a survey and I definitely agree to it. I have just completed my Masters at Anglia Ruskin and the life in Cambridge is very peaceful and I've never seen any such thing you've mentioned. Even I go out late night by walk without any hesitation.
Hi guys,
I've got 2 offers from 2 uni. 1)Anglia Ruskin University (Cambridge Campus) and 2)University of Coventry.
I think that I have decided where I want to go and as my firm choice I'm going to put ARU.
Please guys tell me about Job Perspectives if you have heard something and about How Organised is the uni (i.e. timetables, exams e.t.c)
P.S. I am going to study Law.
I'm waiting for your answers.
Thank you in advance.
Reply 23
It's course dependant but I personally feel like I have done an online degree - that's how little input I got from my tutors! I agree that it's a nice place to live but rent is high! The only thing that got me through uni was the social life here ! The rest has been poor and I really wish I had chosen a different uni when I was given the option too. That being said I have just finished my degree being 5% off a first class honours - BUT I give no credit of that to the uni and it is disappointing to think that if I had the guidance I have paid for at ARU I would have graduated with a first ! I can only speak on behalf of the arts department - I have actually heard far better things from friends on other courses.
Which uni did you go for? I'm thinking about doing law at ARU but an a little wary myself..
I went to ARU in the end. It's been ok! I've had some really great job prospects so far. You have to actively search for work experience though, so that's not credit to the uni I guess. My lecturers are hit and miss, some gems though (English Lang/lang teaching). I'm averaging a 1st and going into final year. Hope that helps..
People say that a degree is a degree, but if that was the case why on earth would anyone be trying to get into universities such as Cambridge or Oxford. Save yourself the £9000 a year and look for other alternatives. There is no reason for universities like this to exist under the current competitiveness of other countries.
Reply 27
As I have lived in Cambridge for years I know many people who have studied at Anglia Ruskin and gone on to have very successful careers. I very much enjoy my degree, my lecturers and the whole science department are brilliant.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 28
Hi! I was definitely considering doing my post grad at ARU in clinical psychology, it seems like a good university. Is there anyone studying psychology there atm who could give some tips?
Original post by Ainfinty
Hi! I was definitely considering doing my post grad at ARU in clinical psychology, it seems like a good university. Is there anyone studying psychology there atm who could give some tips?

I'm considering taking this too. Has anyone else studied this?
Reply 30
'crawling with the Jeremy Kyle types' - really nasty way to talk about people you snob. Go up north for more genuine people, the snobby ***** stay down south
It is the worse place i have ever studied in! I'm
Reply 32
I'm doing undergrad film&tv production there (Cambridge) and I absolutely love the university. Apart from a great course with lovely lecturers, the uni is super supportive as well. One of the biggest advantages for me is the financial support they offer. If anyone is interested in film&tv degree - I completely recommend ARU.
Original post by LaDaniel
I've heard mixed reviews about Anglia Ruskin Uni, and it's one I'm really considering applying to. I'm looking to do the Zoology with Foundation Year Degree and the only review I've found on it was pretty negative.

I was wondering if any Anglia Ruskin students/friends of students could shine a little light?

Thanks!

Hey, as a International student (2nd year) I can tell that uni in Chelmsford is really modern and it offers very good library facilities. As a business student is see a lot of opportunities in here to improve my skills. There is a lot of time to study on our own and its quite good considering that you can learn about what you like the most about the subject you are studying. So far i do not see why it would be a bad place to study.
Make sure the Lab Equipment at ARU Science building are available and woking, as it was always broken!!
Original post by Asaad AB
Make sure the Lab Equipment at ARU Science building are available and woking, as it was always broken!!

I am moving to another University.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending