The Student Room Group

IGCSE's harder than GCSE's?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GreenLantern1
Yes. You are an arrogant fool. Why don't you share the stupid and idiotic message you sent to Usycool1....

Original post by Ajibola
IGCSE may be harder(subjective), but it doesnt mean GCSE are easy. Seriously stop acting like an arrogant prick, its a really bad quality.

Do you like chocolate cake??
Original post by aliyah.k
Thankyou what are igcses then? What's the difference and I am going into year 10 next year to

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

IGCSE's are the international version of gcses. They have no coursework, no modules, all the exams are taken at the end of the course. They also have a higher course content, which go beyond GCSE's and better preparation for a level. I don't know if state schools are allowed to do them, but most private schools do.

Original post by Hippysnake
iGCSEs aren't harder. They're easier to use, more friendly to navigate, and designed for complete beginners. They're really expensive though. Personally I don't see the advantage over normal GCSEs.

Oh my god you just made my day :biggrin: hahahaa
Reply 43
IGCSE is slightly harder than GCSE, and this came from someone who's done GCSE in the UK and then came and did IGCSE in a foreign country (not me). That said, I did IGCSE and only really worked hard on the coursework content, didn't revise for exams at all. Still got all A's and 1 B, which was a complete shock. So maybe the grade boundaries are lowered accordingly.

But seriously, don't argue about which one is harder, because when you move on to IB/ A-levels you're going to realise that anything you took was a breeze in comparison... Especially IB. IGCSE was so so so much easier than IB.
IGCSE's are harder than GCSE's. I did both but people who do pure IGCSE's often take under 9 subjects because the syllabus has greater depth. With IGCSE you are introduced to concepts which are usually taught at AS or sometimes even A2 level, hence students are often more prepared. There is also no coursework which increases exam pressure. Personally, I'm happy I did IGCSE's because didn't feel the jump from gcse to Alevel as much as some. However the drawback is, universities treat them the same despite the fact that one is arguably harder than the other, so it made me think what was the point of the extra work? Having said this, I am in no way saying regular gcse's are easy. :smile:
Original post by Ajibola
IGCSE may be harder(subjective), but it doesnt mean GCSE are easy. Seriously stop acting like an arrogant prick, its a really bad quality.

Well said :smile: And I can't rep anymore so sorry :'( PRSOM.
Original post by Sheikh {/} Nykaa
IGCSE's are harder than GCSE's. I did both but people who do pure IGCSE's often take under 9 subjects because the syllabus has greater depth. With IGCSE you are introduced to concepts which are usually taught at AS or sometimes even A2 level, hence students are often more prepared. There is also no coursework which increases exam pressure. Personally, I'm happy I did IGCSE's because didn't feel the jump from gcse to Alevel as much as some. However the drawback is, universities treat them the same despite the fact that one is arguably harder than the other, so it made me think what was the point of the extra work? Having said this, I am in no way saying regular gcse's are easy. :smile:

I am sorry but if universities treat them the same ....you are you to argue with all these intellectuals.

Just proves who stupid some people (especially The Unique Bloke) are being!!!!
Original post by Sheikh {/} Nykaa

I am sorry but if universities treat them the same ....you are you to argue with all these intellectuals.

Just proves who stupid some people (especially The Unique Bloke) are being!!!!
Reply 48
Original post by Sheldor
So, as I'm going into year 10 this September and starting a mix of igcses and gcses, I was just wondering if there is any large difference in workload between the 2 qualifications. I've already started my IGCSE,s in the three seperate sciences, which I've found incredibly challenging and have had to work very hard for as there is a lot of course content. Other people on TSR often say that they found GCSE's incredibly easy, or that you only need to revise if you want above a C. I know that with the igcses I've started, not revising would get me a U. Is this because IGCSE's are harder than normal gcse's?

Easier, definitely! I took IGCSEs myself.
Reply 49
GUYS! I think that Maths is probably one of the worst subjects to compare between IGCSE and GCSE. I did IGCSE, and I can say that, to be honest, it depends on the subject you are talking about. IMO the sciences' IGCSE syllabus isn't much harder than GCSE apart from a few topics like Condensation Polymerisation, but Geography, History and English were definitely a whole lot harder
Reply 50
furthermore, it's not just the difficulty of the syllabus that actually makes the IGCSE harder; all the exams are taken at the end of the year, so flop one exam, and your chances of an A* are ruined :/
Original post by Sheldor
IGCSE's are the international version of gcses. They have no coursework, no modules, all the exams are taken at the end of the course. They also have a higher course content, which go beyond GCSE's and better preparation for a level. I don't know if state schools are allowed to do them, but most private schools do.

I'm from a state school. And we were really lucky to be allowed to do igcse further maths:smile:

However only 12 of us were allowed to sit it and most thought it was crazily hard - only 3 of us ishly thought it was ok - we had 4 simply not turn up for the second paper as they found it so hard :/

P.s it's normally expected you'll get a minimum of A at GCSE standard levels to do an iGCSE - that should give you an idea of how hard it is - plus many people said, rightly in previous posts, there are some very difficult GCSEs out there too! Especially when they are incorrecty marked! :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by KythingToWrite
From personal experience, IGCSEs are meant to:
(a) make it easier for students who have NO previous experience in a subject to catch up, so that students from poor educational backgrounds have a fair chance;
(b) give a standard that's acceptable for most international qualifications, so they can go on to do IB or A Levels or whatever;
(c) provide options for all schools, even if they have limited resources (flexible teaching scheme) and have accessible exams for homeschooled students and non-exam centre students (alternatives to practicals and coursework).

In short, the subject matter's larger, the teaching is so flexible that self-studying is feasible, and the syllabus are designed so that most countries will accept them. BUT the grade boundaries are also very flexible. The syllabi are a little different from the GCSEs, and they include lots of simple DIY practicals, but there really isn't that much of a difference. We use GCSE study guides, textbooks... Some people might find it harder, some easier, but in my opinion, they just help people in different conditions and from different Primary School systems to sit a standard exam :smile: They really are quite awesome, and maybe a step up from GCSEs for foreign languages, a little more application-oriented in Sciences.

Oh, and obviously, they're more 'international minded'—case studies, Lit, etc. But that's about it. (Sorry for the super long post, BTW)

Hey, what did you mean about lit? I'm just really curious haha! I did IGCSE English and the texts we studied were quite UK based (with the exception of the Great Gatsby as for the novel), as we did a Shakespeare piece and our poems were mostly by British poets.

Also, I don't know if I'm helping here, but as far as I know, GCSE is much easier...our teacher once gave us a GCSE Spanish paper and according to the grade boundaries I got an A* while I got a B in an IGCSE paper afterwards. This was during the first year I'd started learning Spanish, mind you, so that A* was wholly undeserved.

And then again, I'm guessing that most people would be talking about Edexcel IGCSE, so I can't really say a thing, since I take CIE and don't know much about Edexcel IGCSE.

And another thing - I don't think it's very logical to be using the percentage of people getting A*s with the different exam boards as a comparison, since for CIE the top 10 percentile gets A*s and I dunno about the other exam boards but even if they followed this, it's extremely difficult to compare, as there could be so many other deciding factors, i.e. the intelligence of the people taking it in general &c

I'll give you an example: for further maths, you usually need 95% and above to get an A* with CIE, since most of the people who would take further maths are the smarter ones anyway.

But I'll say this: it's not worth it to argue over this, babes. I did CIE IGCSE, and I do think it's at least slightly harder than GCSEs, but I really don't think that it's a really significant matter. My IGCSEs weren't that difficult either, and I think many of you would agree if you compared it to A levels and uni. Stop squabbling over something so insignificant as exam boards.

Peace? :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
The funny thing is, it's so obvious that the majority of people doing IGCSEs would not argue the same case if they were doing GCSEs. Meaning they are simply saying they are much harder to look "more intelligent" when it comes to results. What's the point in looking down on people because they only do GCSEs? Most of us don't have a choice. And at the end of the day, you're not going to get further in life than people doing GCSEs. You will not be favoured on the basis of that. Even if IGCSEs ARE slightly more difficult, there's no need to be so arrogant about it, just be proud of how well you may achieve!

Regardless as to whether they are more difficult, an A* is an A* whether it be achieved through IGCSE or GCSE. So instead of downgrading people, take other considerations into account :smile:
Original post by Lucy96
The funny thing is, it's so obvious that the majority of people doing IGCSEs would not argue the same case if they were doing GCSEs. Meaning they are simply saying they are much harder to look "more intelligent" when it comes to results. What's the point in looking down on people because they only do GCSEs? Most of us don't have a choice. And at the end of the day, you're not going to get further in life than people doing GCSEs. You will not be favoured on the basis of that. Even if IGCSEs ARE slightly more difficult, there's no need to be so arrogant about it, just be proud of how well you may achieve!

Regardless as to whether they are more difficult, an A* is an A* whether it be achieved through IGCSE or GCSE. So instead of downgrading people, take other considerations into account :smile:

Well said :smile:

Original post by The Unique Bloke
I am picking that up from post 26? you knew that right?

Not really.

I see what you mean now.
Original post by deadpinkfluffycat
Hey, what did you mean about lit? I'm just really curious haha! I did IGCSE English and the texts we studied were quite UK based (with the exception of the Great Gatsby as for the novel), as we did a Shakespeare piece and our poems were mostly by British poets.

Also, I don't know if I'm helping here, but as far as I know, GCSE is much easier...our teacher once gave us a GCSE Spanish paper and according to the grade boundaries I got an A* while I got a B in an IGCSE paper afterwards. This was during the first year I'd started learning Spanish, mind you, so that A* was wholly undeserved.

And then again, I'm guessing that most people would be talking about Edexcel IGCSE, so I can't really say a thing, since I take CIE and don't know much about Edexcel IGCSE.

For Lit, there are two different syllabi: 0486 and 0476 (CIE). 0476 is accredited for use in the UK, and it's very similar to the GCSE syllabus as far as set texts go—British authors, compulsory Shakespeare, etc. We do the same syllabus, not world literature, just that our code is different (0486) and we have different set texts: For the 2014 exam year, for example, we had a choice between Nigerian, Indian, and British authors for our prose set texts. Which makes it great for us because the government recommends African books for Lit, so this way we can run an international syllabus and still receive recognition from the gov't 'cause we offer African authors' books :biggrin:

And for foreign languages, the IGCSE is definitely a grade or so more difficult.

I thought CIE was the more popular one? At least that's the way it is in Africa—the name 'Cambridge' strikes awe into the hearts of parents/teachers/principals :tongue:
Reply 57
Original post by The Unique Bloke
:rolleyes:
You cannot adjust the grade boundaries soo much that you make a hard IGCSE exam the same equivalent of a GCSE exam. No matter what the boundaries are , IGCSE is a lot tougher. Check any exam paper without being bias and you will see. Do you think that in GCSE the grade boundries arent adjusted?? Its done in both. You cannot say which exam boards brings it boundaries lower than the other without any proof.
PS for example check the 2011 IGCSE math paper , and compare it to the 2011 GCSE math paper. There is a world of a difference.
(No matrices and transformation wtf!)

I would just like to say, although I agree that IGCSEs are harder, I just looked at the Edexcel IGCSE maths for June 2011 like you said and it looks just as difficult as my Edexcel GCSE maths for June 2012. I didnt look at the syllobus but the content of the paper seems very similar.
If you're doing an iGCSE it's normally the "further" course which you do - so for example Edexcel iGCSE further maths which from experience is a LOT harder than standard GCSE - it has a lot of the material from the AS maths course - which speaking from experience as well - I know for a fact!

Original post by KythingToWrite
For Lit, there are two different syllabi: 0486 and 0476 (CIE). 0476 is accredited for use in the UK, and it's very similar to the GCSE syllabus as far as set texts go—British authors, compulsory Shakespeare, etc. We do the same syllabus, not world literature, just that our code is different (0486) and we have different set texts: For the 2014 exam year, for example, we had a choice between Nigerian, Indian, and British authors for our prose set texts. Which makes it great for us because the government recommends African books for Lit, so this way we can run an international syllabus and still receive recognition from the gov't 'cause we offer African authors' books :biggrin:

And for foreign languages, the IGCSE is definitely a grade or so more difficult.

I thought CIE was the more popular one? At least that's the way it is in Africa—the name 'Cambridge' strikes awe into the hearts of parents/teachers/principals :tongue:
\

Ooh right well most schools I know take Edexcel...and a few of my friends used to live in the US and their schools did Edexcel too (they went to a British school).

Well, I never said that what I said was law. All that was just my opinion, soooooo yeah. What's with the neg rep? :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest