The Student Room Group

Will I get 'fired' if I miss work to go to the Olympics?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by JCC-MGS
Food poisoning. You have to be off for 7 working days for your employer to demand evidence that you were ill

And when OP finds a better job in the future demanding for previous employer's reference, we see the employer holding a grudge and refusing to give a reference. Employer will know OP is lying if OP magically gets sick during the Olympic period.
Last year a friend of mine thought their boss wouldn't give them the time off to go to the Glastonbury Festival, so they didn't ask and just didn't turn up (I think they rang and said their gran had died). The next day they were called into work and sacked, because their boss had seen them the previous evening on the telly coverage of the festival sitting on someone's shoulders in the crowd. So they weren't exactly trying to be incognito and were being a bit too over-confident, which is probably where they went wrong!
OP you have 3 options; either:

1) Pull a sick day ''I have had the poops''
2) Ask a colleague to cover/do a shift swap
3) Just be honest and tell your manager ''Ticket for Olympics, desperately want to go''.

I booked a 3 week holiday one year, didn't ask for the time off before hand. Went in the following day and was up front with it, and I was granted the time off, which was no trouble whatsoever!

Totally up to you how you play it, but whatever you do, if you choose option 1, don't go being so confident as you may end up on news coverage!!!! lol
unauthorised absence = serious if not gross misconduct if you are contracted to turn up for the shift or a reason not to find you hours if you are casual / zero hours
Reply 24
I don't think its a sackable offence. Well at least not at some companies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending