The Student Room Group

At what age can you get a part time job

I was just wondering when you are allowed to get a part time job because my dad keeps on pestering about getting one because there isnt anything to do in the holidays and im always at home but im only 15 am i allowed?
You are technically allowed to but in reality many places prefer not hire people so young. Many will only hire over 16's or over 18's.

And at 15 the minimum wage rate you get is only about £3 something so you wouldn't earn very much either.
I got my first part time job when I was 15, it was only working down at my local riding stables. I got paid cash in hand and got some free lessons as well. But it helped me move on to more serious part time jobs as I got older. I think officially not a lot of places will take you, but collecting glasses in a pub or dog walking, something like that you can do.
Reply 3
You could get a paper round? Or if you know anyone wit a business they may take you on cash in hand; it is difficult to get a job before 16, even after that it is still a struggle..
Good luck though:smile:
the law allows young people aged 13 or older to take paid work, but from a child protection and general admin hassle point of view it's a lot easier for employers to restrict their staff to those over 16 and for some roles the hassles with 16 and 17 year old employees over differing break arrangements and supervision requirements make it easier to have a blanket over 18 policy ...

under 16s are generally going to find themselves restricted to paper rounds etc. or work in small businesses where there won't be corporate HR breathing down managers necks over such things.
Original post by laurennmc
You could get a paper round? Or if you know anyone wit a business they may take you on cash in hand; it is difficult to get a job before 16, even after that it is still a struggle..

it doesn't need to be 'off the books ' which is what cash in hand actually means , just larger employers tend to have HR policies which make employing under 16s difficult.
Reply 6
Original post by laurennmc

yeh where do you get a paper round job from cuse i was looking to do that but i didnt know where to ask
Reply 7
Original post by kish667
yeh where do you get a paper round job from cuse i was looking to do that but i didnt know where to ask

Local newsagents, any small shop that sells the newspapers, bigger stores (e.g. WHSmith) don't do newspaper delivery service.
Ask at your local shops :smile:
Original post by kish667

generally newsagents for morning rounds delivering the dailys and magazines

if your area still has a daily local paper either newsagents for evening rounds or the local paper itself

weekly / free papers the printer / publisher ...
I did paper rounds and babysitting at 13
Reply 10
I did paper round 13-14 every saturday and sunday morning, worked at a rifle range marking targets from 14-16. Also did some baby sitting. Its great earning your own money I would recommend it
Reply 11
Original post by kish667

Look In newsagents windows or ask at the till if they have any rounds going I'm 14 and I got a newspaper round so you should get it if they like you - you'll need a bike

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending