The Student Room Group

To All LGBT People - Do People Know Of Your Sexual Orientation?

Hey Guys;

Well, after seeing how many Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual people there are on the forums, have yet to see anyone who is Transgender though, it did get me thinking as to how many people are open about their sexual orientation (unless straight of course) and if so, who you are open to.

I am personally open to the following;

All my closest friends which is pretty much everyone who is going to university now (am retaking a year)
Most of the girls in my year

People who I am not open to;
Some guys in my class
Parents/Family (awkward...)

You?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not everyone.

People who know
A few people at work (including my managers who just knew when they first saw me)
People online

People who don't know
Everyone else.
I'm bisexual (more gay than straight). I'm out to one of my sisters, my closest friends, and online. I'm not out to the rest of my family and my more casual friends, although some of my friends may know (they just never breach the subject. It's like the giant rainbow elephant in the room :ninja:)
I identify as pansexual, but bi is way easier to explain to most people, so I usually go with that.

People who know? My mum, sister, a few close friends.
People who don't? My dad, the rest of my friends, everyone else.

I find it aggravating (always have) that if you don't mention sexual orientation people assume you're straight. I know it's an LGBT cliche that straight people should have to come out too, but I really think it should be more like that.
I got a fetish for transgender people... Only feminine looking ones. I don't find men attractive either. Apparently this is quite common amongst men.
Original post by aplaceforflowers

I find it aggravating (always have) that if you don't mention sexual orientation people assume you're straight. I know it's an LGBT cliche that straight people should have to come out too, but I really think it should be more like that.

It is a reasonable assumption because most people are straight.
I'm out to all of my friends, both online friends and in person friends.
I'm out to my mother, brother and I assume a few cousins know.
I have yet to tell my stepdad or my youngest brother. The topic really hasn't come up and I'm single right now so if I ever get back into a relationship, they will find out that way.

I'm not going to show up at uni wearing an, "I'm a lesbian!" t-shirt or anything. Like most everyone I've told in the past, if the topic comes up, I will share. If not, I don't see why I need to announce it.
Reply 7
Original post by aplaceforflowers

I think people are always going to assume people are in the 95%, not the minority, I don't think that's to do with prejudice.
Up
Reply 9
i've told my close friends from uni. my close friends from home would not only gossip and say pointless stuff behind my back, but they'd disown me. that's the biggest disadvantage of living in a deprived area. and even only recently i've come out online but I don't make a deal about it.

if anyone asked me of my sexual orientation, I would tell them though. but I don't want to make a deal about it and let it define me as a person, etc. saying that I wish more people asked because only one person has :s-smilie:
Yeah i'm out to most. There's still some people in my family who don't know, but it'll 'come out' soon. I don't really care if and when they find out, but i don't really know or like a lot of them so i ain't telling them.

Oh yeah, I'm Gay.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm out to most of my family/family friends (excluding Grandparents) and my close friends from home. I'm not "out" as such at university but that's because I don't want to have to do the whole coming out thing AGAIN. If it comes up I'll happily talk about it- I just don't want to have to make the big announcement!
Reply 12
I came out as gay to my parents and online...and that's it :tongue: I'm ginna get involved with the lgbt soc at uni though :smile:
Reply 13
I'm out to all of my close friends, my mum and my stepdad, but not my dad or extended family. I'm happy to tell anyone who asks, but as I'm bi and currently with a guy, it doesn't really come up. I can imagine it being a bit of a shock to some people if I got a serious girlfriend (I've had a girlfriend before but we were young so kept it secret).
I'm only out to online friends and sort of to a couple offline friends who just seem to know, but we don't talk about it. However, I am planning on coming out to my immediate family and best friend before I go to uni in a month's time, and then I'll just consider myself out - eg. I'm probably not going to go out of my way to tell anyone else but I'm sure they'll find out and if not I may mention it if it's relevant.

When I go to university, it'll be the same -I'll mention it when it's relevant. And definitely joining the LGBT soc :smile:
Reply 15
I'm pansexual, but I currently have a boyfriend. He's aware of my sexuality, of course. A few close friends and basically everyone online!
None of my family are, though. To be honest, right now they don't need to know, I have a boyfriend. But if anything changed and I was with somebody who wasn't male then I'd have to tell them.
I don't like being open about my sexuality to strangers, in person but online it's okay. When it comes to doctors I just panic when they ask questions about my sexual health and I state I'm sexually active with a man when it's not the case.

I'm open with who I class as my friends, and people that know me in general (it just happens when you have a girlfriend), and my immediate family are aware too.
(edited 11 years ago)
well firstly... transgender isnt a sexuality...

+ umm im out to everyone, even strangers... unfortunatly you cant hide transexualism as easy as it is to hide your sexuality...

ofcourse some can (natraully look more like the oposite sex) - and we all strive to, (with hormones, sugery etc, exercise etc) - but to start with atleast...

so yes, im out to everyone as a transgirl :smile:
Reply 18
I'm out to my parents, and some of my cousins (them being younger, more aware and therefore much less likely to be bothered by it), and pretty much everyone else, friends/ acquaintances, and online.
Im out to my family and some of my friends know, I actually wasn't going to tell my parents when I did a few months ago, I was going to wait until I went to uni but I thought just get it over with as I knew they wouldn't be bothered by it! One of my best decisions this year!!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending