The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford postgraduate applicants 2014/15

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys,

I have a question about this Clarendon Scholarship. I am becoming more and more interested in it. It sounds like a fantastic program and the more I read about it the better it looks!

I'm an international student from the US, I applied for a DPhil in Clinical Neurology (MRI Physics). And I've been incredbily fortunate in that I recieved a "scholarship" that covered my tuition fees in full and included a generous living stipend. However, the letter did not state what type of award I recieved, only that "we'll now put together your award package and will let you know the details in a month..." As an international student, were there a lot of options for me? It would be icing on the cake if this was the Clarendon!

on post 1476: wow, "selection by wealth" makes me sick. I'm from the states and as far as I know, I've never heard of colleges demanding to see proof of financial resources before you go to a university. usually, if you miss a payment, you get dropped from your classes and if you got a balance on your account you won't be given a dipolma...simple as that.
(edited 11 years ago)
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 1381
Hey TSR, I was very fortunate to be accepted at both Mphil in IR and Msc in GGD. That being said, how would you compare the two programs, ie on terms of career opportunities, prestige, etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yurtle
has anyone from odid heard about funding yet?

I haven't. If the department is considering us for any funding (e.g. Clarendon, Ertegon, down to college-based scholarships, etc.) should there have been mention of it in our offer letters?

I reckon there isn't much available for Masters students.
Original post by SorryCharlie
I haven't. If the department is considering us for any funding (e.g. Clarendon, Ertegon, down to college-based scholarships, etc.) should there have been mention of it in our offer letters?

I reckon there isn't much available for Masters students.

I was wondering the same thing! I got my offer for Refugee and Forced Migration Studies. The letter was a bit vague...Does anyone in ODID know if we need to accept our offer before we're passed on to colleges or if that's automatic? I see that it seems to vary among departments...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1384
Original post by zotone
Hey TSR, I was very fortunate to be accepted at both Mphil in IR and Msc in GGD. That being said, how would you compare the two programs, ie on terms of career opportunities, prestige, etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I officially hate you now. :wink: That being said, both are great - it depends partly on if you want to do 2 years or one, if you have the funding, etc. I think the MPhil is somewhat more prestigeous and older, but I could be wrong.
Reply 1385
Original post by tfontaine2190
However, the letter did not state what type of award I recieved, only that "we'll now put together your award package and will let you know the details in a month..." As an international student, were there a lot of options for me? It would be icing on the cake if this was the Clarendon!

Congratulations on being offered full funding. I know a lot of Clarendon money is arranged in linked scholarships where the Clarendon Fund stumps up half the cost and a college funds the rest. If your faculty has definitely stated that they'll be funding you somehow, it's possible that they're working out where to fit you into such a scholarship. It's also quite possible that actually they know for sure what you're getting, but need to get it rubber-stamped by someone/some body.

But I'm no expert.

on post 1476: wow, "selection by wealth" makes me sick. I'm from the states and as far as I know, I've never heard of colleges demanding to see proof of financial resources before you go to a university. usually, if you miss a payment, you get dropped from your classes and if you got a balance on your account you won't be given a dipolma...simple as that.

At least in the UK at present, we have a postgraduate application landscape in which universities make more offers than they have places in the knowledge that some people won't have the money to take those offers up, and the result is selection by wealth. In the absence of more widespread funding and/or a decent system of postgraduate student loans, I don't think it's unreasonable for a university to want to be fairly sure people aren't suddenly going to drop out. I do think the way Oxford calculates living costs is unreasonable and should be changed, but the big thing that would have to change to really solve the big problem is the country-wide lack of financial support for people who want to do postgrad study but can't afford it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by EmceeKenz
I was wondering the same thing! I got my offer for Refugee and Forced Migration Studies. The letter was a bit vague...Does anyone in ODID know if we need to accept our offer before we're passed on to colleges or if that's automatic? I see that it seems to vary among departments...
Posted from TSR Mobile

Same. The extent of information provided was:
"This offer is also subject to the following financial conditions. You will be required to demonstrate your ability to pay your University and college fees and living costs for the standard length of your programme as part of the Financial Guarantee required in the college acceptance procedures."

Which I imagine means no funding. I know Linacre and Lincoln offer a few scholarships for our course. So there is chance that our apps were sent on to them for consideration - if we aren't pooled there, I suppose they'll move on to our first choice colleges (St. Antony's, in my case). And then we'll have to find $50K+!!! That's where the real fun begins.

I imagine our info is passed along automatically, but I'm not confident. I am considering calling next week to clear it up, in which case I'll get back to you :smile:
Hi, I am an overseas student. I have an offer of admission to MSc Pharmacology program. Just wanted to know if anybody accepted to the program heard about funding..
Original post by QHF
At least in the UK at present, we have a postgraduate application landscape in which universities make more offers than they have places in the knowledge that some people won't have the money to take those offers up, and the result is selection by wealth. In the absence of more widespread funding and/or a decent system of postgraduate student loans, I don't think it's unreasonable for a university to want to be fairly sure people aren't suddenly going to drop out. I do think the way Oxford calculates living costs is unreasonable and should be changed, but the big thing that would have to change to really solve the big problem is the country-wide lack of financial support for people who want to do postgrad study but can't afford it.

As a current applicant who is holding an offer from Cambridge and still waiting on Oxford, and can realistically attend neither without financial assistance, I still don't necessarily agree with this entirely.

The implicit idea is that there should be universal access to postgraduate study - that everybody should be able to do it regardless of their economic background. Whilst good in theory, I'm not sure that postgraduate study is something for everybody - I certainly think a lot of people do it who aren't necessarily good enough to do it. I mean, maybe my view is slightly skewed since my UG was from Scotland and my government paid for that, so the UG qualification is pretty much universal. That's fine. If you're then exceptional enough to do postgraduate study, then there is a significant amount of funding and scholarships available for that. If you're not good enough to receive those, and you can't afford what is an expensive education for good reason, then maybe you shouldn't do it or should work for some years to pay for it yourself. I don't have a problem with that. I wish there was more money for funding, but there's not. I could have gone to a number of Universities and received full funding but I wanted to go to Oxbridge, and that was a choice. It's not like I had no postgraduate path available to me.

People have more money than others, it opens doors. I wish I was one of those people but my lottery tickets insist on being incorrect. Until those numbers come up, I'll just deal with it and be thankful that there are scholarship programmes which are meritocratic available, and hope I'm good enough to earn one of those.

EDIT: I am of course aware that exceptional students will slip through the net. I know that students of exceptional potential will not necessarily exhibit that potential on paper from UG for a number of reasons, but if we're happy to assign places based on academic history, we should also be happy to assign funding that way. It's not a ridiculous notion that one might do a masters at an institution outside of Oxbridge, receive funding for that, and then exhibit the ability and potential to receive a fully funded PhD at Oxbridge. We're essentially asking for a place at one of the top institutions in the world and then also demanding that they pay for us to attend it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1389

Actually, that's not entirely true. I'm currently doing my MS in the US as an international student and we have to show proof of funds to get our visas. The university itself didn't check though, to be fair.

Also, I actually prefer the UK funding model. There's much more fuss trying to get funding before you start, but once you have funding through a scholarship you're funded for the duration of your PhD.

The US model typically guarantees funding for the first year or two, but then you're expected to be funded by your lab/advisor. This means that you're much more tied to your advisor's whims, and if they stop bringing in as many grants that can end badly. I know multiple people at my university who have had issues with their advisor or have lost their funding due to grants not coming through. That really sucks when you're 2 years into a PhD, and is something I'd rather avoid.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1390
Original post by Schichtoe
x

Well, maybe. I don't think we need universal access to postgraduate study -- imagine all the people who just want to flee the jobs market for a year or two more. Perhaps I should have said 'people who want to do postgrad study and are bloody good and really merit funding but lack it, and consequently can't afford it' instead of 'people who want to do postgrad study but can't afford it'. My feeling is that in my discipline there isn't a significant amount of funding available, to the point where there are people who are clearly exceptional but can't get a funded place -- not just at Oxford, but at any university.

Then again, I do English, and I'm aware that you could argue there's no point funding any research or study in English anyway.
As a current applicant who is holding an offer from Cambridge and still waiting on Oxford, and can realistically attend neither without financial assistance, I still don't necessarily agree with this entirely.

The implicit idea is that there should be universal access to postgraduate study - that everybody should be able to do it regardless of their economic background. Whilst good in theory, I'm not sure that postgraduate study is something for everybody - I certainly think a lot of people do it who aren't necessarily good enough to do it. I mean, maybe my view is slightly skewed since my UG was from Scotland and my government paid for that, so the UG qualification is pretty much universal. That's fine. If you're then exceptional enough to do postgraduate study, then there is a significant amount of funding and scholarships available for that. If you're not good enough to receive those, and you can't afford what is an expensive education for good reason, then maybe you shouldn't do it or should work for some years to pay for it yourself. I don't have a problem with that. I wish there was more money for funding, but there's not. I could have gone to a number of Universities and received full funding but I wanted to go to Oxbridge, and that was a choice. It's not like I had no postgraduate path available to me.

People have more money than others, it opens doors. I wish I was one of those people but my lottery tickets insist on being incorrect. Until those numbers come up, I'll just deal with it and be thankful that there are scholarship programmes which are meritocratic available, and hope I'm good enough to earn one of those.

EDIT: I am of course aware that exceptional students will slip through the net. I know that students of exceptional potential will not necessarily exhibit that potential on paper from UG for a number of reasons, but if we're happy to assign places based on academic history, we should also be happy to assign funding that way. It's not a ridiculous notion that one might do a masters at an institution outside of Oxbridge, receive funding for that, and then exhibit the ability and potential to receive a fully funded PhD at Oxbridge. We're essentially asking for a place at one of the top institutions in the world and then also demanding that they pay for us to attend it.

I'd like to see government funding for postgrads, but I would worry about its impact on accountability, and the imposition of a market.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ajh1990
Congratulations that's awesome! New is lovely :smile: How did you hear? Post I'd presume?

Thank you! By email :smile:
Clarendon announcements begin tomorrow for half of us. I cannot take the anticipation.
Original post by vandergraaff
Clarendon announcements begin tomorrow for half of us. I cannot take the anticipation.

I know, this week is going to be hell. I know I've still got the AHRC to go as well (though I don't know if I've been nominated) so all is not lost if I don't get a Clarendon, but still!!

I made sure I had a lovely day today though, went to David Bowie Is at the V&A - epic is the only word, booking to go again!
Original post by Lil Piranha
I know, this week is going to be hell. I know I've still got the AHRC to go as well (though I don't know if I've been nominated) so all is not lost if I don't get a Clarendon, but still!!

I made sure I had a lovely day today though, went to David Bowie Is at the V&A - epic is the only word, booking to go again!

Bowie <3.

Agreed, the whole of April will be edgy.

I started work at 6am, now I am frantically trying to write a paper for a large UK conference on the 5th of April. Also preliminarily delivering the paper to fellow postgrads next Wednesday.

I've also applied to another university who have opened up more Arch scholarships (Leicester), their funding deadline is the 31st of March. So at least I have another shot at funding (with a brilliant supervisor there too actually).

Arg, I want to know nowwwwwwwwwwwwww.
good luck to everyone who is about to go through this week!
Reply 1397
Fingers crossed for all of us!
Original post by HistoryHistory
x

Hey, hey - do you think it's overly ambitious to think that we might potentially, possibly hear something this week? :O I mean, people are finding out about all kinds of scholarships and **** now and we've not heard anything. :frown:

Not fair. :frown:
Hey, hey - do you think it's overly ambitious to think that we might potentially, possibly hear something this week? :O I mean, people are finding out about all kinds of scholarships and **** now and we've not heard anything. :frown:

Not fair. :frown:

I did not send you kisses!

I think this week must be a cert! Maybe the offers will come with scholarship news

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending