The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tufc
Congratulations, amazing feeling! I passed second time today, 9 minors

Well Done :smile:!!!
Reply 3981
Well, I suppose having waited ages to post in here, I'd better do a decent post. I passed today at Borehamwood, and it was my second test, having failed exactly two weeks ago with 9 minors and 2 majors (one for rolling back on a hill, one for coming too close to a railing on the far side of the smallest mini-roundabout in Hertfordshire.) I got a bit worried when I saw my examiner today - my examiner a few weeks ago had been really nice, and had just oozed a relaxed atmosphere from the moment I laid eyes on him. My examiner today was far less emotive, and far more officious in nature.
He walked me out to my instructor's car (I had elected to leave my instructor behind), and when inside, he asked me the Show Me Tell Me questions - the Tell Me one came first, and it was on how to check that the tyres were in good enough condition for driving. For the Show Me question, he just asked me to hoot the horn. And then, after a few deep breaths, we were off. We drove around some quiet roads first, then he asked me to pull in in a 'safe and convenient place'. We had come to the independent driving part of the test, and I was to follow the signs for Borehamwood and Elstree. I moved off after checking my blind spots, then immediately started worrying that I had missed my right blind spot. "Test failed," I thought to myself. I kept going though, and got through the busy town centre of Borehamwood, and then over my least favourite roundabout in the world (which I usually completely cock up). Shortly after that, he told me that the independent driving part of the test was over, and he would be giving me instructions again. After following his instructions for a period, he told me to pull up again.
"I would now like you to turn the car to face the opposite direction, using the forward and reverse gears. Try not to touch the kerb, or use driveways." He said. I smiled a bit; this was my favourite manoeuvre, and I had now got it in both tests - a statistical improbability, but one I was grateful for. I did all my observations, then started the manoeuvre. Luckily, nothing came as I was performing it, so it was over quickly, and I knew I would be very unlucky to have even got a minor for it.
I looked down at the dashboard clock, and realised that there was only 12 or 13 minutes left - we would probably be heading back to the test centre now, so I felt like I was on the home leg. I carried on, and, as I suspected, the examiner started guiding me in the direction of the test centre. About halfway back, he instructed me to pull up again. I did so, but with a sense of foreboding. I feared the emergency stop was coming. But no, as soon as I had stopped and secured the car, he just asked me to move off again.
Then, disaster struck. We were on a 40 limit, coming up a hill, and a cyclist was up ahead. I came up behind him, but I wasn't sure if I could overtake - I couldn't see far enough ahead, and whilst I knew that the solid white line on my side of the road divide forbade me from overtaking cars, I had no idea if it meant I couldn't overtake a cyclist :confused:
I lingered behind him, doing about 15 mph for about 90 seconds, before I realised that I really had to go for it I indicated, and pulled out. As soon as I pulled out, an ambulance came round the corner about 80 yards away. I was terrified - it had flashing blue lights, was coming towards me with a lot of intent, and I was still only level with the cyclist. I floored it, and managed to shoot in just in front of the cyclist. Surely I had failed there, either for waiting too long to overtake, or for overtaking at the wrong point?
We started getting very close to the test centre very quickly. Then it was onto the mini roundabout just before the test centre. I was feeling very nervous now, and was getting mild palpitations.
"Take the next right, please." My examiner said. I was getting extremely nervous now, but I was determined not to cock it up on the turn into the test centre car park. I mouthed, "Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre." on my approach to the car park. It seemed to go okay, and my examiner told me to just pull up in the area outside the test centre doors, similar to the ambulance bay at an A&E. I pulled up, and secured the car. The palpitations were getting stronger. I faced straight ahead, closed my eyes, and resigned myself to the fact that I had more likely failed than passed. The palpitations were like gunshots now, as the examiner spent a good twenty or thirty seconds totting up the marks. Then...
Well, that's the end of the test, and I'm pleased to tell you that you've passed..
I swung round hands clutching my cheeks like in that painting "The Scream." Of course, with my eyes closed, I hadn't seen my examiner lean over to get my signature, and it was only due to his excellent reactions that I didn't chin him as I swung my head round.

Of course, he wanted to have a chat about my minors. It seemed fair enough - 1 minute of my time for a lifetime of driving. I had 9 minors, a lot of which were for hesitation. I agreed with him, and he told me to stop being so hesitant round mini-roundabouts. I said I would, he then wrote out my pass certificate, said good luck, then I thanked him, shook his hand, and got out the car. I couldn't stop smiling, and my instructor looked so happy for me as he walked round to the driver's seat (he had been waiting outside the test centre, and had realised I'd passed just from the look on my face).

So yeah, it's an amazing feeling, and it still hasn't quite sunk in. I really didn't think I would get there, but I did, and I'm glad I kept going. No more buses, no more trains, and no more walking!
Original post by whattheheck
Welcome to the club guys!

thanks. Really happy now :smile:
Original post by Daniel123
thanks. Really happy now :smile:

I just received my pink licence in the post today! :tongue:
I just received my pink licence in the post today! :tongue:

How long did it take to come in the end??
Original post by Trixy.Sam
How long did it take to come in the end??

It took 9 days. On the back of the Pass Certificate it says that it can take up to 3 weeks, so this was quite fast, I guess.
It took 9 days. On the back of the Pass Certificate it says that it can take up to 3 weeks, so this was quite fast, I guess.

Awesome! I really hope mine comes before i go to uni in 2 weeks. Would like to use it as a means of ID etc!

Thanks and well done on the pass! :smile:
Awesome! I really hope mine comes before i go to uni in 2 weeks. Would like to use it as a means of ID etc!

Thanks and well done on the pass! :smile:

That is ok. Congrats to you too. :smile:

Hopefully, it'll turn up before then.
I just passed first time. I'd absolutely given up hope as my lesson before the test was ABYSMAL.

It all came together for the test though :smile:
Reply 3989
Just passed my second driving test with 3 minors, soooo sooo happy the best feeling in the world, and just before i start uni as well :biggrin: :biggrin: xxx
Reply 3990
Original post by Carly-H
Just passed my second driving test with 3 minors, soooo sooo happy the best feeling in the world, and just before i start uni as well :biggrin: :biggrin: xxx

Congrats! I passed second time yesterday, with 9 minors.
Reply 3991
Original post by moody_bum
I just passed first time. I'd absolutely given up hope as my lesson before the test was ABYSMAL.

It all came together for the test though :smile:

Congrats! Good luck with your driving!

And 4000th post in this thread FTW!

Original post by tufc
Congrats! Good luck with your driving!

And 4000th post in this thread FTW!

Thanks! Start pass plus tomorrow, motorways seem daunting now!
Reply 3993

Aah, you'll be alright, I don't think motorways are all that bad. I did my test centre, and quite frequently there they take you onto the A1, which is 3 lanes, 70mph limit, so basically a motorway. It's fine, as long as you don't panic.

Ooh exciting! My first pass plus lessons is next week. Quite lucky that my instructor also does it :smile: he is such a babe!!!!

Ooh exciting! My first pass plus lessons is next week. Quite lucky that my instructor also does it :smile: he is such a babe!!!!

Ahhhh have fun!
& lucky you! My instructor is an ex-army man. Quite scary!
Ahhhh have fun!
& lucky you! My instructor is an ex-army man. Quite scary!

Haa quite??! I would say extremely scary! If i were you, i would be shaking like a leaf in a storm!

But you will have no problems, he would know what he's doing. You are going to be in great hands! :smile:
Reply 3997
Original post by tufc
Congrats! I passed second time yesterday, with 9 minors.

Well done!! Amazing feeling isnt it, ashamed to say i cried with happiness when he told me :colondollar: safe and happy driving xx
Reply 3998
Original post by Carly-H
Well done!! Amazing feeling isnt it, ashamed to say i cried with happiness when he told me :colondollar: safe and happy driving xx

It was funny with mine; I pulled in at the end, and I was so stressed, I was having palpitations and stuff. I just faced ahead, and closed my eyes while he totted up the faults. Then, just as the magic words came, he leant over to my side of the car, just as I swung my head round in shock, and nearly chinned him in the temple! Do you reckon you'd get a fail if you killed the examiner? He had already said 'the test is now over', so I think they wouldn't be able to...
I hope I get to post here today

Wish me good luck lol

Latest

Trending

Trending