The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

J1990
them always saying "your not ready for your test" and just sucking all my money away! :frown:

:yep: i know what you mean there. i had to change my instructor as well, she kept making me believe that i wasnt ready for a test but as soon as i changed instructors, it all changed. the new one told me i was ready!
Reply 4921
DarkAngel*
:yep: i know what you mean there. i had to change my instructor as well, she kept making me believe that i wasnt ready for a test but as soon as i changed instructors, it all changed. the new one told me i was ready!

yea I fully agree.. if you think about it how much does each person on average plows into driving and the DSA for retests and things (including the theory test!!) I mean I've been driving for a year now, 20 quid for one hour and i have 2 hours a week... took my theory test 3 times and passed on my third... already taken one practical test that = a LOT of money :eek: . hopefully my new guy won't screw me around I will tell him ive booked a test for may and thats our time limit...
**** **** **** **** **** **** f*****************************ck.

4 minors.

1 major.
Reply 4923
TheOneCurlyFry

4 minors.

1 major.

:console:
TwirlGirl
You're meant to just put the clutch down and put the car into 1st/2nd/whatever gear is necessary, no engine breaking by working your way down gears.

You put it in neutral? I only do that when im at traffic lights. (I've passed btw, i didn't use neutral at all in lessons)

Nooo I'm not on about neutral like that, I meant at the start when you check its in neutral/handbrake is on before you start, I always got told don't do it very obviously as they get irritated easily.

It just looks like she goes as if its not a junction and then suddenly stops, the car stopped quite suddenly as it dipped a bit, I personally put my clutch down a bit sooner and go into 2nd because I was taught to leave the vast majority of junctions in 2nd, not to go up to the line in 4th gear but to put clutch down and change down 2 hazard lines back. :smile:
I know how you feel....£150 for a test day :frown:

Then my lessons are £27 ph and i take about 6 hrs prior to a test!

Driving is expensive business!
Couldxbe
What? At a junction, you should proceed as if you'll go... going into neutral is useless unless you're waiting for more than 10 seconds..

I always go straight from whatever gear I'm in to first gear.

You misunderstand me :wink:

I never mentioned going into neutral, I meant at the start, when you check gearstick is in neutral and the handbrake is on, lady checked it quite obviously and I was always told not to make it so obvious as they think you are insulting their intelligence.

I just meant instead of slowing down suddenly like she did, I was always taught to go out junctions like those in 2nd gear, so two hazard lines back its clutch down and into second, then you have more time to look if its clear and can potentially go straight out, not to steer into the corner stop suddenly, 4 to 1 and then look if you can go etc. Different people learn differently I guess, this is just what I was taught :smile:
TwirlGirl
You're meant to just put the clutch down and put the car into 1st/2nd/whatever gear is necessary, no engine breaking by working your way down gears.

You put it in neutral? I only do that when im at traffic lights. (I've passed btw, i didn't use neutral at all in lessons)

Noooo I meant the way she stopped suddenly when she could have gone to 2nd gear a bit earlier and then looked if she could get out instead of approaching it in 4th, I was always told never to go out in anything other than 2nd, so I never stop at a junction in 4th, only 2nd or sometimes 1st if I know its hard to see. It was always drummed into me to approach junctions more slowly when you are 2 hazard lines back etc, not to approach in higher gears and just stop then get ready to go etc, but be ready to go anyway?

And no again to the neutral! I passed too it wasn't in that context, you know at the start before you turn the engine on!? I meant there, lol :p:
TheOneCurlyFry

4 minors.

1 major.

Sorry mate! Better luck next time
Sounds awful how many people have had to change instructor because they kept wanting you to have more and more lessons..! I bet the vast majority like to take things 'nice and slowly' :rolleyes:

Good luck to anyone with a test coming up! :smile:
Tinsley
Sounds awful how many people have had to change instructor because they kept wanting you to have more and more lessons..! I bet the vast majority like to take things 'nice and slowly' :rolleyes:

Good luck to anyone with a test coming up! :smile:

Of course, how dare instructors try to teach people to drive! You're not paying them to teach you to drive - just to pass your test! :rolleyes:
Reply 4931
Taking my test on Wednesday! Soo nervous

Failed first time for Rolling back on a hill! then 5 minors for Mirror checks and The show me tell me bit.

Just waiting for something else to go wrong this time...!!!
R. Murray
Of course, how dare instructors try to teach people to drive! You're not paying them to teach you to drive - just to pass your test! :rolleyes:

As if, I'm on about the people on here who say they have had over 40 hours of lessons and their instructor doesn't want to put them in for their test for ages. I was slow, had loads of time off lessons etc and I did mine after 30 something hours. There is a guy in my area who is notorious for it, friend's brother spent £1100 with him so far and hasn't even done a mock test with him, he goes out with his Mum all the time and they can't understand why he is taking things so slowly, its those people I am talking about.

Most people only care about getting through their test anyway tbh.
Tinsley
As if, I'm on about the people on here who say they have had over 40 hours of lessons and their instructor doesn't want to put them in for their test for ages. I was slow, had loads of time off lessons etc and I did mine after 30 something hours. There is a guy in my area who is notorious for it, friend's brother spent £1100 with him so far and hasn't even done a mock test with him, he goes out with his Mum all the time and they can't understand why he is taking things so slowly, its those people I am talking about.

Most people only care about getting through their test anyway tbh.

Maybe they're still unsafe after all those hours. Some people are slow learners.

And this one test will allow you to drive anywhere in the world so I for one think it's a shame that many see it as something to get through. When you learn to drive, you're learning a skill for life and the better that you're taught, the safer you should be.
Failed my 2nd test today :frown: I got 2 majors and 6 minors
When I got back into the test centre he told me to take off my seatbelt - I thought I'd passed then he says "I'm sorry you've failed." I got all excited for no reason haha

The first major was when I stopped behind a parked car to let the car who had priority go past, when I went to move on he pushed the steering wheel because I was too close to the car. The second one I swear he made up! He said I overtook a parked car forcing the truck (I don't recall seeing a truck) to try and squeeze past me.

Now I've got to wait until the end of May before I can do another test!! I cant believe the length of these waiting lists :mad:
R. Murray
Maybe they're still unsafe after all those hours. Some people are slow learners.

And this one test will allow you to drive anywhere in the world so I for one think it's a shame that many see it as something to get through. When you learn to drive, you're learning a skill for life and the better that you're taught, the safer you should be.

You don't have to tell me that :wink:

Someone I know of went and did their test in their own car in the end and passed first time, been driving for four years now and are really good, they were with a bit of a crook IMO, they aren't all like that, but some are and tbh I can see why they would take a long time to let people do their test in more ways than one.
Reply 4936
I am coming to my wits end with this driving test b0llocks.

I've had eight tests since 23rd December 2009. Of them, five have been cancelled, 3 due to bad weather and 2 due to the strikes. I've failed 3 times. The worst part is for each test I have to take a half day off work, because I can't find anywhere that does evening/weekend tests. If they do it won't be until the summer.

First Test - 23rd December 2009 - Cancelled, Snow - There wasn't much at all.

Second Test - 15th January 2010 - Cancelled, Slush (There was barely any)

Third Test - Can't Remember date - Cancelled, Weather - This was the worst snow and I can agree with this one.

Fourth Test - 08th Febuary - Failed - 1 Major, 7 Minors
I switched test centres as I was sick of my tests being cancelled for one drop of snow on the roads. My instructor forgot to put me in the situation of turning right from a country road onto a 70mph dual carriageway. This happened on my test and I didn't have a clue what to do. Failed for that!

Fifth Test - 25th February - Failed - 1 Major, 11 Minors
I was feeling terribly nervous about this test. The thing was it was going ok apart from the silly minors I was clocking up. I was on the last traffic light on a hill start and I stalled the car. No biggie, you can still pass with a stall. Only thing is it took me so long to get the stall back that I went through a red light. Fail!

Sixth Test - 8th March - Cancelled, DSA Strike

Seventh Test - 24th March - Cancelled, DSA Strike

Eighth Test - 31st March - Failed, 2 Majors, 5 Minors
My major was for judgement and my reverse bay park. The reverse bay park I'd done twice before and passed fine on my previous tests. The judgement failure was for turning right with traffic and not giving way to another car which was oncoming and turning left. IMO it was too far away to cause a problem but he decided otherwise. At the end of the day, the DSA are always right, theres nothing we can do about it. My nerves were much better this time, I'd taken 3 kalms 2 hours before the test and some rescue remedy which even if it is a placebo helped.

So here we are, having had a ridiculous amount of lessons (at least 60), mainly due to cancelled tests and a poor first instructor who just instilled zero confidence in me, I am sitting here just thinking what on earth do I have to do to pass this fecking test. I'm thinking of switching instructors again, because whatever my instructor is doing just isn't working for me.
byb3

Do you ever go out without your instructor, just with a friend or relative who's able to.
I found that to be far more useful.
Reply 4938
cambo211
Do you ever go out without your instructor, just with a friend or relative who's able to.
I found that to be far more useful.

That's one of the things I'd love to do, but I've moved away from home to find work elsewhere. I don't have access to another car unfortunately!

My biggest tip to anyone thinking of passing their test is to do it early and get it out the way!
Reply 4939
I just failed my driving test for the first time, (Because i didnt turn the wheel all the way while i was doing the three point U-turn :gasp: and because i didnt let a car pass that was literally a block away at a stop sign -_- ) it sucks big time, but as soon as i got home i made an appointment for next month. The inspector was a bit of a douche but i hope i get him next time so i can prove to him that i will pass.

Latest

Trending

Trending