The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7980
Chester MPTC pass rate is about 44% as far as I know - roughly the national average, give or take a few percent.
Reply 7981
Original post by Rascacielos
What are you supposed to do on a sliproad if you can't join?

The whole business with matching the speed of the other cars isn't as easy as it sounds. They're almost certainly going to be travelling at 60/70 mph so matching their speed isn't going to help you if you can't get out.

If the worst comes to the worst, then you have to stop and wait until you can join.

Matching speed (roughly, not exactly) means people will let you out more likely than not. They more than likely won't if you're crawling along.

It isn't easy if you can't do it, of course. People panic and stop, and that's why they end up being failed for it.

In all honesty, I think a lot of people expect to get lucky and pass their tests. The reality is that if you can actually drive you stand a much better chance.

In all the time I've been teaching I've only ever had three pupils who have taken more than 4 tests in total. The worst by far was a girl who'd taken 9 attempts by the time she passed (4 of them with me), and who was physically sick on test days. I must admit I had tears in my eyes the day we drove back and she had that pass certificate in her hand. She told me she'd resigned herself to being a learner forever.

But I get a lot of people who have had tests elsewhere, and I'm sometimes (not always, I must point out) amazed at how bad their driving is. Why the hell they ever went to test like that is beyond me. But a lot do, and that is often where the trouble lies.

Learning to drive isn't cheap. Trying to make it so really does make it harder to pass.
Reply 7982
Hii everyone :smile:
Im new to the student room and thought i'd post here. I failed my first test yesterday :frown: im gutted. Tbh it was silly mistakes that I shouldn't have done but nerves get the best of me! Also my theory test has now run out so have to re-do it. *sigh* Anyone recently taken a theory test? Are the questions still the same? As i did it 2 years ago I wondered if theres diff questions now or will revising the same old highway code still be fine?
Oh!!! Thank you for this thread, it has made me feel slightly better about failing, knowing I'm not the only one.

The examiner I had on my first test was very nice but I ended up failing with 2 Majors and 8 Minors. Minors were just hesitation, one was clutch, etc. The first major was going down a one way street, at the end of the road he wanted me to turn right but I stayed in the left hand lane. I didn't know what I had done wrong until he pointed it out. I'd never been taken down a one way street by any of my instructors so felt a little disheartened by that one. I also didn't feel like it was a major as it wasn't dangerous in any way.

The second major was going down a long stretch of pretty open road, I didn't see there was a giveway junction coming up (no signs, just the white lines on the road), I slowed down pretty last minute after seeing the road markings and there was no cars coming so it was okay for me to go any way.

I didn't feel too bad that I'd failed, just got on and booked my next.

The second test was a lot worse than the first. I had the same examiner which made me feel 10x worse straight off! I drove fine for about 25 minutes until he took me to the biggest roundabout in my town and I HATE it, roundabous are my worst point anyway but this one is just horrible.

He wanted me to go right, 3rd exit so I was waiting to go and the car behind me starts beeping, non stop! I wouldn't mind but I had only been there about 30 seconds and this roundabout is hard to get out of! The beeping really put me off so when I saw my chance to go, I stalled.

That was my first major which I didn't think was fair, considering the beeping and I didn't panic when I stalled just calmly restarted the car. When we got off that roundabout, we approached another, one that you cannot see over or around, so purely have to have luck and be careful! I went to go, crawled out slowly and a car came round so I braked, there was no chance of any danger as I was only about 5cm over the line!

He told me to pull over then and to take 5 mins to cool down. Then it was time to do my manouver(sp?) and I got reverse around the corner. I did it all okay, I was a bit far from the kerb so I went to straighten it but he stopped me and told me to just drive onward. I was a bit :eek: at this.

Came out of a really quiet junction after that and stalled in the middle of it cus I was in third gear. :argh: :embarrassed: I drove absolutely fine after that all the way back to the test center. Though he later told me he had stopped marking after the second stall.

I felt very intimidated by him, thought he was quite rude to me! The thing that made it worse after failing a second time was my Mum had reassured me "Everyone in our family has got it second time, most people do!" So I got home and first thing I said was "Everyone gets it second time but me!" and burst out crying!

I've given up on driving now because my confidence is through the floor. Just don't even want to get in a drivers seat and can't even see myself ever passing!

:frown: Sorry for the long post, it feels good to share !
Reply 7984
The questions are basically the same but they added some more a couple of years ago, and then some "case studies".

I recommend Driving Test Success as the best study aid. It's dropped in price now because at the end of the year the theory test questions will no longer be available.
Reply 7985
Original post by itsMissKitty
my Mum had reassured me "Everyone in our family has got it second time, most people do!"

itsMissKitty, please bear in mind that how you perform on your test is entirely down to YOU ON THE DAY. It has nothing to do with how your mum or sister or brother did 6 years ago or whatever.

To that end, concentrate on making sure you know what you are doing and focus on that. If you can thread the car through the tightest of roads, packed with parked cars either side, and anticipate what might be round that blind corner (even though you can't see), then you'll have it made.
Reply 7986
Original post by DOAADI
The questions are basically the same but they added some more a couple of years ago, and then some "case studies".

I recommend Driving Test Success as the best study aid. It's dropped in price now because at the end of the year the theory test questions will no longer be available.

Thankyou! :smile:
Totally forgot to mention that the day before my second test I had to have a tooth taken out in an emergency dentist's appointment so I was feeling pretty rubbish about that too, so I don't think that helped.

And thanks DOAADI, it just feels like you're letting someone down when they something like that. I sobbed to her and told her I'm sorry for being a disappointment. All a bit dramatic, really!
(edited 12 years ago)
!

Please don't give up! I know it's horrible right now but your time will come. I had to take 4+ tests before I passed but it is worth it. I was so depressed after my first two failures and took some time out but once I started learning again I came with a new resolve to pass no matter what.

I'll let you into a secret. Apart from the time/money element it doesn't matter how many times it takes you to pass your test. It doesn't make you a worse person then someone who passes first time, it doesn't increase your insurance policy and no one else really cares. The number of people who've asked me how many times I took my test since I've passed = 0.

Passing first time would be amazing and certainly a lot less stressful, but once you've been driving for 6 months you'll realise that it didn't matter how you passed.
Original post by DOAADI
If the worst comes to the worst, then you have to stop and wait until you can join.

Matching speed (roughly, not exactly) means people will let you out more likely than not. They more than likely won't if you're crawling along.

It isn't easy if you can't do it, of course. People panic and stop, and that's why they end up being failed for it.

In all honesty, I think a lot of people expect to get lucky and pass their tests. The reality is that if you can actually drive you stand a much better chance.

In all the time I've been teaching I've only ever had three pupils who have taken more than 4 tests in total. The worst by far was a girl who'd taken 9 attempts by the time she passed (4 of them with me), and who was physically sick on test days. I must admit I had tears in my eyes the day we drove back and she had that pass certificate in her hand. She told me she'd resigned herself to being a learner forever.

But I get a lot of people who have had tests elsewhere, and I'm sometimes (not always, I must point out) amazed at how bad their driving is. Why the hell they ever went to test like that is beyond me. But a lot do, and that is often where the trouble lies.

Learning to drive isn't cheap. Trying to make it so really does make it harder to pass.

Thanks, that was really helpful. I was doing a practice test with my brother the other day (he's a driving examiner) and I was going down a sliproad at about 50mph because there wasn't any traffic in the left lane but because the slip road joins the dual carriageway on the brow of a hill, your vision is limited as to what is actually on the dual carriageway and a car came over the hill in the left lane so I braked and ended up stopping right at the end of the slip road, which I would have failed for apparently. It was a really awkward situation where I figured that if I stopped, I would be slightly over the end of the dual carriageway because I was travelling fairly quickly and my Ka doesn't have the best brakes! And if I'd carried on, then I would probably have gotten out in front of the car, but forced him to slow down, which is also a fail. So either way, end of test!

I know what you mean about learner drivers passing with luck - a lot of it is luck, I reckon. You only need an idiot to pull out in front of you or cut you up on a roundabout, forcing you to do something that the examiner doesn't agree with and that's it. A lot of people seem to pass because they had easy road, little traffic and an easy manoeuvre.

EDIT: Just wondered, on the matching speed business - to do that you're going to be travelling at around 55-60+ mph on the sliproad. That seems like taking quite a large risk that the cars will let you in, because if they don't, very few cars are likely to be able to slow down in time so as to not end up jutting out into the dual carriageway (like I did) or on the hard shoulder.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi everyone, figured this was the place to share sorrow regarding driving tests!
Not sure if anyone will reply to this but have failed two driving tests recently and don't really have anyone else to chat to since my family are sick of me going on about it! But would appreciate anyone with advice...

I have been learning to drive for just under a year now. My first test was a couple weeks ago at the heaton test centre in Bradford. I felt fairly confident, was doing well, my maneovure was fine and the things I was afraid of messing up on i.e roundabouts was fine. I was asked to turn left at a small junction, but a car was park pretty much at the junction leaving me no room, so i went onto the right-hand side to avoid the car then planned to move back in. The examiner got the impression i was going to hit the car and so grabbed the wheel off me, which as I knew by that point I had failed, put me off for the rest of the test, I then stalled at a junction due to nerves. I got two serious and 8 minors. My second test was yesterday as I found a cancelation, a similar thing happened about 5 minutes into the test, i was asked to turn right at a junction and a car had double parked on the left-hand side, so i moved out and was about to move in when a car came around the corner and so the examiner put his foot on the brake, thinking i was going to hit it, and got the impression i was not going to move back to the left when i couldn't because there was no room! After that i pretty much gave up on the test altogther, messing up my manoevure because I knew i had failed. When i am on my lessons i drive fine but i feel that now i have gained a fear of the practical test...when sounds stupid altogether!?!

I don't know what to do anymore, and if it is me that is the bad driver or possibly just the heaton route itself. I really feel like giving it up but I have spent over a 1000 on lessons and my family bought me a car for my graduation. Im just sick of my confidence being shattered!

I suppose my real question is..should experiences like this get you down and make you give up, or should you hang in there and eventually have success? (if that makes sense!)

Any advice will be very much appreciated!
Oh!!! Thank you for this thread, it has made me feel slightly better about failing, knowing I'm not the only one.

The examiner I had on my first test was very nice but I ended up failing with 2 Majors and 8 Minors. Minors were just hesitation, one was clutch, etc. The first major was going down a one way street, at the end of the road he wanted me to turn right but I stayed in the left hand lane. I didn't know what I had done wrong until he pointed it out. I'd never been taken down a one way street by any of my instructors so felt a little disheartened by that one. I also didn't feel like it was a major as it wasn't dangerous in any way.

The second major was going down a long stretch of pretty open road, I didn't see there was a giveway junction coming up (no signs, just the white lines on the road), I slowed down pretty last minute after seeing the road markings and there was no cars coming so it was okay for me to go any way.

I didn't feel too bad that I'd failed, just got on and booked my next.

The second test was a lot worse than the first. I had the same examiner which made me feel 10x worse straight off! I drove fine for about 25 minutes until he took me to the biggest roundabout in my town and I HATE it, roundabous are my worst point anyway but this one is just horrible.

He wanted me to go right, 3rd exit so I was waiting to go and the car behind me starts beeping, non stop! I wouldn't mind but I had only been there about 30 seconds and this roundabout is hard to get out of! The beeping really put me off so when I saw my chance to go, I stalled.

That was my first major which I didn't think was fair, considering the beeping and I didn't panic when I stalled just calmly restarted the car. When we got off that roundabout, we approached another, one that you cannot see over or around, so purely have to have luck and be careful! I went to go, crawled out slowly and a car came round so I braked, there was no chance of any danger as I was only about 5cm over the line!

He told me to pull over then and to take 5 mins to cool down. Then it was time to do my manouver(sp?) and I got reverse around the corner. I did it all okay, I was a bit far from the kerb so I went to straighten it but he stopped me and told me to just drive onward. I was a bit :eek: at this.

Came out of a really quiet junction after that and stalled in the middle of it cus I was in third gear. :argh: :embarrassed: I drove absolutely fine after that all the way back to the test center. Though he later told me he had stopped marking after the second stall.

I felt very intimidated by him, thought he was quite rude to me! The thing that made it worse after failing a second time was my Mum had reassured me "Everyone in our family has got it second time, most people do!" So I got home and first thing I said was "Everyone gets it second time but me!" and burst out crying!

I've given up on driving now because my confidence is through the floor. Just don't even want to get in a drivers seat and can't even see myself ever passing!

:frown: Sorry for the long post, it feels good to share !

It took me 5 times to pass my test, after the third I thought, I'm never going to pass, I felt absolutely awful and thought I'd never drive. On my fifth attempt I just did what I'd done every test and passed, I did a victory YESSS when the examiner told me, it was such a relief. Please don't give up, I was very close to it myself but I carried on and got there in the end. I know it's a lot of money but it is worth it in the end and you can do it! :smile:
Reply 7992
Original post by Rascacielos
EDIT: Just wondered, on the matching speed business - to do that you're going to be travelling at around 55-60+ mph on the sliproad. That seems like taking quite a large risk that the cars will let you in, because if they don't, very few cars are likely to be able to slow down in time so as to not end up jutting out into the dual carriageway (like I did) or on the hard shoulder.

Some merges will always be a little harder than others, of course. It's one reason tests are conducted on them - local "tricky" road features are always a bit of a problem.

Let me use roundabouts as an example for a moment. A lot of learners make the mistake of waiting for a gap instead of aiming for one. They wait until the gap arrives, then get ready, then... miss it because the next car has arrived. Part of the problem is that a large gap to a confident driver is a minute one for a nervous learner.

Likewise, people will sit at a junction - hesitating - when there is absolutely nothing coming (as far as I'm concerned), but they can see a car moving several hundred metres up the road. The question that the driver should be asking themselves is "can I go?" and not "is there something coming?" Obviously, this needs practice.

So back to your merge. In general, if you get to the point of the merge and there is nothing there at that moment in your mirrors up to the top of that hill, then you should carry on out. Even if something appear over the hill. It's more a question of "can I get out?" and not "is anything coming?".

Doing the correct/appropriate speed at that point is vital, because too slow will cause problems as everyone catches up with you. And because it is a dual carriageway, people are supposed to give way a little by changing lanes if they see people joining ahead of them - yes, some will deliberately block you, but that's only a worry when cars are much closer.

I know that if someone pulls out of a merge at the right speed, does it safely with space to do so, and then has someone tailgating them and flashing lights/sounding horns, that won't result in a test fail, even though the idiot behind is obviously not happy.
Ok my instructor hasn't taught me any of the car parts - my test is tomorrow. Am I meant to point them out? Or answer any questions? I'm a nervous wreck.
Original post by DOAADI
Some merges will always be a little harder than others, of course. It's one reason tests are conducted on them - local "tricky" road features are always a bit of a problem.

Let me use roundabouts as an example for a moment. A lot of learners make the mistake of waiting for a gap instead of aiming for one. They wait until the gap arrives, then get ready, then... miss it because the next car has arrived. Part of the problem is that a large gap to a confident driver is a minute one for a nervous learner.

Likewise, people will sit at a junction - hesitating - when there is absolutely nothing coming (as far as I'm concerned), but they can see a car moving several hundred metres up the road. The question that the driver should be asking themselves is "can I go?" and not "is there something coming?" Obviously, this needs practice.

So back to your merge. In general, if you get to the point of the merge and there is nothing there at that moment in your mirrors up to the top of that hill, then you should carry on out. Even if something appear over the hill. It's more a question of "can I get out?" and not "is anything coming?".

Doing the correct/appropriate speed at that point is vital, because too slow will cause problems as everyone catches up with you. And because it is a dual carriageway, people are supposed to give way a little by changing lanes if they see people joining ahead of them - yes, some will deliberately block you, but that's only a worry when cars are much closer.

I know that if someone pulls out of a merge at the right speed, does it safely with space to do so, and then has someone tailgating them and flashing lights/sounding horns, that won't result in a test fail, even though the idiot behind is obviously not happy.

Okay, thanks. I guess it's just something that comes with practice.
Original post by Indian_Princess
Ok my instructor hasn't taught me any of the car parts - my test is tomorrow. Am I meant to point them out? Or answer any questions? I'm a nervous wreck.

You need to answer two questions, one where you'll have to "show" the examiner how you do something and one where you have to "tell" him about how you would do something.

So you may need to be able to point out some of the bits under the engine, such as where the oil is and how you'd check there's enough oil. You also need to know about the washer fluid, the engine coolant and the brake fluid. Also, under the "show" part you might need to show the examiner how you'd check your brake lights are working or show him how you'd check that your handbreak is in good working order. The best one is, of course, showing him that your horn is working. :biggrin:

On the "tell" section you might get a question like "tell me where you would find information about tyre pressures for this particular car," "tell me what the legal tread depth is," or "tell me how you would check that your footbrake is working correctly."

There's only a limited amount of questions they can ask and I'm sure there's a list on the internet somewhere.

Some people decide not to revise for the questions because it's only 1 minor if you get one or both wrong.
(edited 12 years ago)
Ah guys i'm gutted! Today was perfect, I made no mistakes, manouvers were fine, driving was fine, roundabouts was fine, weather was fine, roads were quite empty. My nerves were fine, I was so calm - the calmest i've ever been on test day, and I got to the test centre and its been cancelled because of the strike :frown:

I was gutted because i've never been this positive on test day before. I genuinely thought 'i'm gonna pass this' and now i've gotta wait for a new test date :frown: i'll be pissed if they put me in the afternoon test or something.

Rescue Remedy is AMAZING! Completely got rid of my nerves and my driving instructor said my driving today was the best its ever been *shock*
Managed to do all my manoeuvres perfectly in my lesson today- even my Driving Instructor said he was impressed.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of the rest of my driving- on the way out I was fine, but on the way back to my house, I was too fast, couldn't concentrate and tired.

I mean I have a cold, but I've got to put up with that sort of stuff, so why did I suffer so badly today. Grrr!
Reply 7998
Original post by skunky x
Managed to do all my manoeuvres perfectly in my lesson today- even my Driving Instructor said he was impressed.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of the rest of my driving- on the way out I was fine, but on the way back to my house, I was too fast, couldn't concentrate and tired.

I mean I have a cold, but I've got to put up with that sort of stuff, so why did I suffer so badly today. Grrr!

Don't worry about it. Fatigue can do terrible things. I remember doing a night lesson at around 8pm, early in the year, and coming back home, I kept putting the car into 4th, instead of 2nd and leaving about 5cm clearance with other cars!
Original post by dknt
Don't worry about it. Fatigue can do terrible things. I remember doing a night lesson at around 8pm, early in the year, and coming back home, I kept putting the car into 4th, instead of 2nd and leaving about 5cm clearance with other cars!

I really can't concentrate on driving for a long time- I'm always a lot worse on the way back then on the way out. I wish my test centre was closer so I didn't have to worry about being fatigued by the time I get there.

The cold really didn't help- but I drove so beautifully out that I always get disappointed when my concentration slips on the way back home. My instructor even said that if I could drive like I had for the first 1hr 1/2 for my entire test I'd pass no problems. He said he noticed only 2 or 3 things that he would count as minors. Grrr!

Latest

Trending

Trending