The Student Room Group

How important are looks when you are applying for a job?

Do company's hire people on appearance?

Anyone had any experiences of looks discrimination? Or has anyone got a job because they are a beauty?

Thoughts?
Not sure to be honest.

I have never really gotten interviews so I seem to be rejected on paper before they even see me (that is with experience and MSc).

That said if you get rejected by someone who judges on appearance would you want to work for them?
Reply 2
I think it's fair to say that everyone's impression of a person is influenced to some significant extent by their physical appearance.

Make yourself look like you think they would want you to, as best you can. A lot of that is about how you carry yourself and how you dress and "groom" yourself that day.
Google the term, "sexual capital" or "erotic capital". Studies (mostly centering around women) show that beauty can increase chances of employment. Though for maximization it also works in concert with sex appeal, social skills, charm, presentation skills, etc.

http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/magazine/have-you-got-erotic-capital/
http://www2.lse.ac.uk/newsAndMedia/news/archives/2010/03/erotic.aspx

When job hunting and reaching the Assessment Centre stage in consulting firms, post-interviews, I have looked around the room and thought, "....are you kidding me?". Everyone could have been described as being "higher than average" in looks. Even in academia-land I have witnessed some nasty accusations from colleagues on who got various research perks due to their looks. Messageboards on academic job markets also have discussions on those that are older going into the market must take care of their personal appearances. I always hoped that none of this is true. I don't think that beauty can trump genuine job requirements. But if you place everyone on an even playing field, subconsciously it may be the key to having some applicants placed above others.
You are trying to enter their world. If you look or behave very differently, there may be a perception that you won't fit in. Different professional areas have different expectations and values that they want to see in you. The hunt sab look would probably not go down to well in banking regardless of qualifications.
Reply 5
Definitely, I noticed that top HR roles, seem have absolute fitties working for them...
You're not going to lose anything by looking good
Reply 7
Not generally important unless your applying for abercrombie and Fitch where you just have to be white with a six pack and blonde or brown hair!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 8
Original post by acer0951
Not generally important unless your applying for abercrombie and Fitch where you just have to be white with a six pack and blonde or brown hair!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Have you seen the models outside gilly hicks?
Reply 9
I have seen this. 2 of my friend were given an interview for the shop Bank. In my town, all the people who work there are good looking.

One of my friends was ridiculously hot (odd considering he was such a twerp in secondary school) and had failed all of his GCSE's.
My other friend wasn't good looking, but not ugly either. But he had good qualifications and work experience.

Who got the job? The good-looking guy. He got sacked within a few months anyway, got sick of him turning up with a hangover.
Reply 10
Well yeah to an extent. It's important to look smart and look like you how about your presentation and how you look or they'll think you're careless and won't really be suitable for the job most likely.
I think they are quite important. Not solely whether you're attractive or not, but if you look presentable, have an inviting smile/face, look like you've put effort in and you care.
I don't know if it's necessarily about being the best looking person in the world but more how much effort you make to look presentable.
Whilst I'm sure most professional HR types endeavour to make theirs a fair, objective judgement on a persons ability to do the job, there appears to be a lot of research backed evidence suggesting that being attractive is an advantage.

Some roles it appears to be mandatory. I don't know how the perfume sector of my local debenhams manages it...
Reply 14
Original post by ebam_uk
Have you seen the models outside gilly hicks?

What about them?
Reply 15
Original post by sassy123
Do company's hire people on appearance?

Anyone had any experiences of looks discrimination? Or has anyone got a job because they are a beauty?

Thoughts?

It's probably not just to do with how good looking they are, but the fact that people judge personality and character based on appearance.

If a company is looking for a creative person, and the candidate comes in looking very plain, boring and unoriginal, I'd guess they are less likely to get hired.

If a tech company is looking for a computer-programming whiz-kid, then I suppose looking like a geek is going to be an advantage.

If an efficient admin person is wanted, then someone who looks very neat, tidy and together would expect to do better.

And so on.
I'm guessing it's quite a factor if you want to work in clothing stores like Topshop/Topman. In other places though it would be about looking presentable as best as you can, but more importantly personal hygiene.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending