The Student Room Group

Still places at uni - why?

Hi
Has anyone else noticed in the media lots of talk of unfilled places at unis?
Wondered why this is?
I know that it is more expensive with top up fees but thought maybe it was because next year more unis will accept more places with ABB grades....
Im applying next year and was wondering if there will be more people who didnt apply this year aapplying then as unis will be more likely to accept them?
Reply 1
what on earth are you talking about?
Reply 2
Im wondering why this is? If it's likely to be the same next year...:

UK Universities: One In Three Top Universities 'Still Trying To Fill Courses'
The Daily Telegraph
Reply 3
Original post by gplaw93
Im wondering why this is? If it's likely to be the same next year...:

UK Universities: One In Three Top Universities 'Still Trying To Fill Courses'
The Daily Telegraph

Simple, less people are applying because it now costs as you just as much to study for a year as it did to study an entire degree last year.

It likely will be around the same figures. However pay attention to my previous sentence closely. Universities are getting £6000 more off each student a year, more than enough to compensate for the empty seats in lecture halls. They will still have a 'more the merrier' motto in regards to finances, but don't think for a second they will be lowering their entry requirements. I've seen many universities put up their entry requirements, not lower them for 2013. The only difference is that it will be easier to get into a course in clearing next summer than it was in 2011, but that was no different than this summer. At this early stage it is impossible to accurately estimate the number of applications to universities this year, so no body on this site can tell you for sure if there will be more or less application this year.

Perhaps you should just work hard this year and get good A-level grades. A degree isn't everything you know and employers also look at A-level grades, so make it easier on yourself and just put the work in know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending