The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why would it be illegal ? They're both over 16 so of course it's ok. :s-smilie: Their interests may differ but there's nothing wrong with a 6 year age gap.
Reply 2
Thank youu soo much for replying. I really appreciate it :biggrin:
Reply 3
I'd imagine it would be slightly trickier for both parties due to differing life experiences, but if both are happy there is no reason not to. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by rhianna610
It's fine, no problem at all as long as they are happy.

(I was 17 and my bf was 24, didn't make a difference)

I know, its just some people feel guilty and break up!
wow! :biggrin: how long did the relationship last, if u dont mind me asking?
Reply 5
Original post by DSoul
Hey People! What do you'll think about a relationship b/w a 22yr-old and a 16yr-old? Is it fine for them to date or is it illegal?

It legal but its not fine, that s*** is weird...

I take it you are the 16 yr old, it wont work out and after he has got bored of f***ing you, he will leave.

relationships with big age gaps do work out sometimes, my aunt and uncle have been together for 23 years and have like a 10 year age gap. But the type of 22 year olds that will go out with a 16 year old will almost certainly make my prediction come true.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by dean01234

I take it you are the 16 yr old, it wont work out and after he has got bored of f***ing you, he will leave.

relationships wit big age gaps do work out sometimes, my aunt and uncle have been together for 23 years and have like a 10 year age gap. But 22 year olds that will go out with a 16 year old will almost certainly make my prediction come true.

Its not me, its my best friend. They really like each other, it shows but the guy told her that he feels guilty, and i just wanted to make sure if it was fine, and to show my friend so she wouldnt get so upset. Dont really trust the guy though!
Reply 7
It is legal but I would worry about the guy. I'm 22 and I wouldn't go out with a 16 year old as to me 16 seems very young. Using the half your age plus 7 rule, the youngest a 22 year old should go out with is 18. As other people have said big age gaps can work but they usually work better as you get older, there is a huge difference in maturity between a 16 year and a 22 year old.
Although it's legally 'okay', I believe that six years is way too young unless both people are over 20. There's just something weird about it that I disagree with :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 9
Yeah i know, it is kinda weird, but if it makes both of them happy then?
Reply 10
x/2 + 7 < y ?

= 22/2 + 7

= 18

18 > 16

not acceptable.

;-)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
It's not illegal and a 6 year age difference is not crazy but at the age of 22 and 16, it's pretty weird.

He's either meant to be at uni, finished uni or he, at least, should have a job. She is in school doing her GCSEs...aside from the obvious physical attraction they probably have, it's going to be difficult to make that last especially as she's got a lot of full-on life-changing stuff ahead of her; AS, Alevels, Uni, Gap Year etc. etc.

I would probably tell your friend to be careful - it's definitely strange.
Reply 12
Original post by h-g-1
It's not illegal and a 6 year age difference is not crazy but at the age of 22 and 16, it's pretty weird.

He's either meant to be at uni, finished uni or he, at least, should have a job. She is in school doing her GCSEs...aside from the obvious physical attraction they probably have, it's going to be difficult to make that last especially as she's got a lot of full-on life-changing stuff ahead of her; AS, Alevels, Uni, Gap Year etc. etc.

I would probably tell your friend to be careful - it's definitely strange.

okays, thanks for the advicee:smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Acidedge
x/2 + 7 < y ?

= 22/2 + 7

= 18

18 > 16

not acceptable.

;-)

haha good math there :P thanks anyways:smile:
Someone who could have graduated dating someone who has just started A-levels... awkward.
I can't imagine someone whose finished uni going out with someone doing their GCSEs.
Can't he find someone his own age instead of going out with a kid?
Reply 16
People change a lot between the age of 16-20 (usually after a year of uni)
That's the only reason I would advise against it
Original post by dean01234

relationships with big age gaps do work out sometimes, my aunt and uncle have been together for 23 years and have like a 10 year age gap. But 22 year olds that will go out with a 16 year old will almost certainly make my prediction come true.

so how old were your aunt and uncle?
I find it remarkable how so many people are so conservative.
I wouldn't say it's a good idea personally, but I suppose it does depend on the two people.

I just think that at 16 you're still very young, possibly vulnerable, and you just haven't had the same life experiences as a 22 year old. A 16 year old has just finished GCSEs whereas a 22 year old is possibly doing a degree at University, or has finished one (or of course working). Just those things create a very different life straight away!

That said - it could work. Like I said first, it depends on the people in question.

Latest

Trending

Trending