The Student Room Group

Struggling with work

This is mainly aimed at people who have had a year out, but is anyone else struggling with getting back into working? I'm finding it really hard to adjust back into the rhythm of doing work and revision. I try and just lose all focus. I am fully aware that I'm not one of those naturally smart people so I really need to work to get grades but lately I just can't do it.

Does anyone else feel like this? Or has anyone else like this and found a trick that helped them back into it?
Reply 1
Original post by Quackers93
This is mainly aimed at people who have had a year out, but is anyone else struggling with getting back into working? I'm finding it really hard to adjust back into the rhythm of doing work and revision. I try and just lose all focus. I am fully aware that I'm not one of those naturally smart people so I really need to work to get grades but lately I just can't do it.

Does anyone else feel like this? Or has anyone else like this and found a trick that helped them back into it?

Well I've never technically had a year out but there have been times when I might as well have due to how little work I've done throughout the year. For me, what got me back into the rhythm of studying for the end of year exams, apart from an overwhelming sense of doom, was to ease myself back into it.
I don't know what your study methods are but I do know a lot of people put a lot of pressure on themselves by thinking that if they haven't written pages of notes on the topic then they haven't really studied. So maybe get back into it by just reading at first?
I went even further than that to be honest.. I used to just read whilst sitting up in bed* under my nice warm sheets because I hate desk studying.

*Side note: I think when many a time when we avoid something or just can't really bring ourselves to do it might be due to conditioning over time and what we associate certain things with. e.g. sitting at a desk with a pen and paper can be strongly associated with the negative feelings you get before exams. So basically if you just try new stuff, change your scenery etc, maybe even change the resources you study from (just seeing the Kumar and Clarke cover from a distance induces a vasovagal attack for me)

Hope that might help
Two things that help me (and hopefully will help you) whane you struggle to get into your studies:

1. Don't always focus on what you need to do/haven't done. Try to be positive and realise what you have done.

2. Think back to why you are doing the course. I love sciencey things and I am glad I can put it into practice as well. When I lack motivation I remeber how brilliant it is that I get spend all day learning things I find interesting.
Reply 3
Original post by Stanley90
Well I've never technically had a year out but there have been times when I might as well have due to how little work I've done throughout the year. For me, what got me back into the rhythm of studying for the end of year exams, apart from an overwhelming sense of doom, was to ease myself back into it.
I don't know what your study methods are but I do know a lot of people put a lot of pressure on themselves by thinking that if they haven't written pages of notes on the topic then they haven't really studied. So maybe get back into it by just reading at first?
I went even further than that to be honest.. I used to just read whilst sitting up in bed* under my nice warm sheets because I hate desk studying.

*Side note: I think when many a time when we avoid something or just can't really bring ourselves to do it might be due to conditioning over time and what we associate certain things with. e.g. sitting at a desk with a pen and paper can be strongly associated with the negative feelings you get before exams. So basically if you just try new stuff, change your scenery etc, maybe even change the resources you study from (just seeing the Kumar and Clarke cover from a distance induces a vasovagal attack for me)

Hope that might help

It does help, thank you :smile:

Me and a few other medics have started a little study group today and although we didn't get that much done I did get more done that I have been doing.

The same thought has crossed my mind but only when I've been really down. But we're not that far into the course so it'd be daft to give up now and not try it a bit longer so definitely see what support you can get. We have a peer support thing called PALS I think so I might try looking into that if I can't get anywhere.

Thanks for the replies guys :smile:
Reply 4
yes :frown: im finding the work load huge.. aswell as i dont know what resources to use to do the work, unlike school noone checks your work so i may well be writing things that are wrong and hence be learning things incorrectly..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending